PDA

View Full Version : Head Youtek Radical Pro IG

Rob1
11-16-2012, 07:53 AM
I will be demoing this racquet next week.
Has anyone tried this or have this just wanted to know your comments?

ace18
11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I will be demoing this racquet next week.
Has anyone tried this or have this just wanted to know your comments?

Its a sweet stick. I switched to it about a month ago. I was using a leaded Dunlop 300 for the last 5+ years.

Its very stable and has tremendous put away power, but its a controllable power. It has improved my FH a good bit on the power side, but I am still working on my consistency. One downside to me is the SW and I'm trying to adjust. I'm having a difficult time hitting finesse shots because I'm not able to cut thru the ball like I can with the Dunlop because its swings heavier.

Volleys are very crisp. Again, racquet is really stable on volleys and i like it a lot. It took me a little while to adjust my OBH but I'm starting to feel the groove. I had to change my BH grip a tad to make it work. BH slices work very nicely.

I've picked up a few miles an hour on my serve, nothing drastic, but I have noticed that I'm getting better depth. I haven't really dialed in on a flat serve, but slice and topspin serves work nicely.

I hit over lunch today and hit with my Dunlop and the Radical. My buddy said I hit equally well with both racquets, however, he said my ball was much heavier with the Radical.

Its worth a demo. At the time I demoed, the Radical Pro, Aero Storm GT, Pure Storm GT, Rebel 98 and EXO Tour 18X20. I liked them all but the Radical Pro just felt better. Right now I have one strung with Babolat Excel and one hybrid with RPM blast/Gamma. I believe the hybrid is the way to go for me. It tames the power a little bit and gives me a little more control.

Hope that helps.

tennistomcat
11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a leaded up liquid metal radical mp & had switched to a standard length black drive but missed the touch, feel, & control of the radical

the liquid metal that i've customized weighs nearly as much as the radical pro but I just couldn't seem to get the kick on the 2nd serves that I can with the 16 X 19 patterns

I switched to the IG rad pro & it feels very similar to my modded liquidmetal racket but I'm able to get better spin. I didn't like it at 1st hit because coming from the pure drive it felt so underpowered & I felt my opponents were pushing me around & getting alot of short balls to put away. After much frustration, I stuck with it & had to change my grip & swing to get better depth & now it's my go to stick - just trying to tweak the string setup.
The feel is the same as my liquidmetal & the control is almost as good except that I can hit kick serves easier.

The power wasn't anywhere as much as the pure drive league but it's more than your usual radical. It feels just like a radical with an open pattern - a very familiar feel all around. Hope this helps

ace18
11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
After much frustration, I stuck with it & had to change my grip & swing to get better depth & now it's my go to stick - just trying to tweak the string setup.

tennistomcat- are you doing a full bed of poly right now and how does it play with that low tension? What string set ups are you trying as I'm interested in different set ups and tensions. Thanks

johnchung907
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I actually bought this stick to replace my prostaff six one 90 blx. Needed a bit more power without sacrificing to much control. One thing I'll tell you that's good about this racquet is groundstrokes. Groundstrokes Groundstrokes Groundstrokes Groundstrokes. This stick is a joy to hit with on groundstrokes. Lots of power, and tons of control to. I found myself returning 80+ mile per hour serves with winners. This stick with volleys is knifelike. Deep and penetrating, it almost comes in par with the prostaff on volleys (How do you equal a prostaff feeling at the net?) Then there's the serve... Definitely not as good at placement but a bit of extra mph. I would demo this one out... Sweet stick and works amazingly if you have a 2 handed backhand.

tennistomcat
11-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Hey ace,
I always use a full bed of poly - i just had it with volkl cyclone pink 16 gauge @ 51 lbs & it plays pretty good at that tension - cyclone is a very low powered string & I felt I could use a lil more pop so I switched back to my old string setup that I had on the liquidmetal mp @ 48 lbs which I had played very well with in the past.
Trying it out at 49 lbs & am gonna hit tomorrow so I'll let u know how it goes

The radical seems to play well at low tension since it is so low powered & has such good control. I was a lil unsure of the 16 X 19 pattern so am going at 49 lbs this time around. at 51 lbs with cyclone it felt great all around but i'm hoping to get a lil more pop on my shots switching it up a lil

macG3X
11-18-2012, 12:53 AM
My regular stick is a heavier Wilson BLX 95 6.1 (360 gram with damper and overgrip).

I have been testing the IG Radical Pro for several weeks. I have one racquet stung with RPM blast at 52 lbs and another one with Babolat VS gut 1,25 at 55 lbs modified with a leather grip.

Like the other posters said, this stick has very good control and precision on groundstokes but also lots of controlable power when you go for it. For me it has an ideal combination of power and control.

With the leather grip it's a little bit more headlight and the total weight including one wilson pro overgrip and a babolat O damper is 347 grams.

It plays nice in stock form but the combination of the leather grip and the thin babolat vs gut makes it feel amazing !

Carefree
11-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I really enjoy it. It's soft enough that you can pretty much use whatever string you like in it. I have it strung with Alu rough 1.25 at 52

The flex felt a little strange at first and I was kind of spraying balls a little wide.

Last week I added 10g of lead under the handle to make the balance a little more HL. It feels really solid right now.

My 2H backhand feels great with it. The new mass of my racquet is kind of messing my serve up a little.

Even if you don't end up with it, it's a great racquet to try out. It's really cushy with plenty of power.