PDA

View Full Version : Head Prestige equivalent

liquidmetal
11-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Hello

I'm having trouble with my arm (golfer's elbow) and my Prestige MicroGel 600 racquet is not very friendly with my arm. Unfortunately I need a racquet that is more arm friendly, but would like the feel and control of the prestige.

Is there such a thing as a arm-friendly Prestige? Anyone who can recommend a racquet?

maxpotapov
11-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Hello

I'm having trouble with my arm (golfer's elbow) and my Prestige MicroGel 600 racquet is not very friendly with my arm. Unfortunately I need a racquet that is more arm friendly, but would like the feel and control of the prestige.

Is there such a thing as a arm-friendly Prestige? Anyone who can recommend a racquet?

What is your string setup?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Hello

There is such a thing as an arm-friendly Prestige, it's called the Prestige.

Honestly, you won't find many more racquets that are as arm-friendly as a Prestige. If you have arm issues with a Prestige, it's not the racquet, it's you.

When you're having injury issues with your arm (or any other body part), the wise thing to do is to stop, rest, and seek medical guidance instead of asking for a miracle equipment that'll allow you to keep playing through the injury. Because you won't find one.

Sure, you can throw gut onto the racquet but it's not going to help once you're injured. Gut and other soft strings should be looked at as preventive measures, not cures.

So rest and let the injury heal. Then work on your fitness and technique/stroke. Because claiming that the Prestige (or any other racquet really, but a Prestige?!) caused your injury is like saying: you forgot to play with a hat on, and now your ankles are hurting.

roundiesee
11-19-2012, 02:48 AM
If you have the resources, I would suggest the Prestige Classic Mid, strung with gut, but these are very hard to come by and very expensive, :(

joe sch
11-19-2012, 04:22 AM
There is such a thing as an arm-friendly Prestige, it's called the Prestige.

Honestly, you won't find many more racquets that are as arm-friendly as a Prestige. If you have arm issues with a Prestige, it's not the racquet, it's you.

When you're having injury issues with your arm (or any other body part), the wise thing to do is to stop, rest, and seek medical guidance instead of asking for a miracle equipment that'll allow you to keep playing through the injury. Because you won't find one.

Sure, you can throw gut onto the racquet but it's not going to help once you're injured. Gut and other soft strings should be looked at as preventive measures, not cures.

So rest and let the injury heal. Then work on your fitness and technique/stroke. Because claiming that the Prestige (or any other racquet really, but a Prestige?!) caused your injury is like saying: you forgot to play with a hat on, and now your ankles are hurting.

I agree but suggest playing the softer strings, like gut, at a much lower tension. A PC600 with gut at 50 or less pds tension plays very nice on the arm and hits like butter. You can always play a wood racket till you arm recovers. I did this for 6 months and never had a problem again after going back to the PC600 and gut. Best wishes.

2ManyAces
11-19-2012, 04:32 AM
half of the time pain is from technical flaws of your game. however, that doesn't mean that is always true.

softer strings imo

liquidmetal
11-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Ok...let me just clearify one or two things:
* inflamation came from very different activeties than tennis (mountain climbing with to much strain on little experienced mucles)
* I have not changed technique since I played national junior events, and technique was never a problem

String pattern: tension was 58-59 ibs. I think I need lower tension, and will try 53-54 lbs and a soft string. Any recomondations?

Also looking for a good work-out routine to strengthen mucsles in the affected area. Any recomondations/experieces?

gonzalocatalino
11-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Hello

Iīve played a few months last year with the microgel prestige mid. my frames were strung with a gut/poly hibrid at the low 50īs and they felt very comfortable for me. I only decided to move to the mpīs because of the weight (375grs was too much for me) and because i wasn't playing very good and often to wield that monsters...

Racquet Daddy
11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
I agree: drop tension with softer string. I don't string my Prestiges over 52. If you want a racquet that seems to magically cure tennis elbow, try the ProKennex Redondo Mid.

Power Player
11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Prestige mid has a real tight pattern and that can aggravate things in some people.

Try a 4g Dunlop 100. It is flexier, and open patterned.

4sound
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I have the mid sized: Prestige 600 Classic, 600 Tour, 600 Green, i.Prestige.
(I also have a few TGK237.2, 16x19 Prostock Mids, which I seem to keep going back to as my playing stick, but this is a totally different animal than the 18x20 Prestige Mids).

I had the MicroGel, YouTek and latest YT IG but sold them.
My least favorite was the YT (just felt anemic). IMO, for some reason the MG felt a bit stiffer and low powered compared to the others.
Of the latest 3, the IG felt the best. Others have commented on how it feels close to the old 600 Classic. I know what they mean but TBH, theres nothing that feels like the soft buttery flex of the old 600 Classics.

If I were you, I'd try the Prestige IG with a 17g multi string at 53LBS. You'll have to adjust your strokes with the lower string tension but once you do it will be much easier on your joints than the MG strung at 59lbs.

I tried the Dunlop Mids (AG100) and they felt brittle stiff and hurt my wrist after a month or two of playing with them. I never had wrist issues before. I switched back and the pain went away.

sunof tennis
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok...let me just clearify one or two things:
* inflamation came from very different activeties than tennis (mountain climbing with to much strain on little experienced mucles)
* I have not changed technique since I played national junior events, and technique was never a problem

String pattern: tension was 58-59 ibs. I think I need lower tension, and will try 53-54 lbs and a soft string. Any recomondations?

Also looking for a good work-out routine to strengthen mucsles in the affected area. Any recomondations/experieces?

Since the Prestige is a low powered racquet you could likely get by with softer, more powerful strings. Multis or a gut/soft poly hybrid may be more comfortable

cluckcluck
11-20-2012, 02:45 PM
You could always try Donnay. Very arm friendly.

DeShaun
11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Hello

My prestige mid was destroying my elbow until...it wasn't the frame after all, it was the strings! poly and youtek did not mix well for me. ouch!-hurts me just thinking about that nasty combo.
so i restrung with soft tourney nylon--forten (at 56lbs) and added a 1/2 inch-wide strip of foot-long duct tape along the top of the hoop; installed a leather grip (for maximum elbow comfort, bevel sensitivity, and head-lightness) and, voila! after hitting with this setup (including two wilson pro overgrips) just one time on the court for an hour or so, it actually seemed to heal my elbow, which had been troubling me the past six months while i was playing exclusively with poly.

these prestiges are so sweet when weighted up just a little bit- i had done something similar to my old prestige pro a couple of years ago; they are just so comfortable and assuring in so many ways when strung with softer strings, but so darn brutal and unpleasant when strung with polys IMO.
good luck.

3fees
11-20-2012, 05:27 PM
What you need is:
cold compress
next heat wrap
pronation-supination exercises
next repeat a couple time a day till gone.

:mrgreen:

As to string,,try nylon string its the softest next to natural gut,,lower string tensions-lower vibration to absorb-also try a gel grip.

Kal-El 34
11-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Donnay X-Dual Platinum... give it whirl