PDA

View Full Version : What is more important to you?

power level 800
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Which factor is the most important one for you on deciding a racquet? and why.

Feel? Comfort? Plow through? or the Paint job?

LeeD
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
1. I can swing it.
2. It can hit an OK ball.
3. It don't hurt my body parts.
4. Nice color I can handle.
5. Cheeep.

power level 800
11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
LeeD.. nice. Not too picky I see, and practical! :)

Fyrepower
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I look for a racquet that is comfortable and maneuverable. I like to be able swing the racquet comfortably and do what like with the ball, like add heavy spin or hit flat. The pj doesn't matter as much but it would definitely sway me one way or another in a close match up.

MikeHitsHard93
11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I like a racket that has a predictable sweetspot, good paint job, low power, and a fair price. I also like stiffer rackets.

LeeD
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I went from 62 stiffness ratings on LMRadMids and 200 Dunlops to 67 stiffness on Aero500's and now to 56 stiffness on MicroGOS. Not much difference to this insensitive old fart, the ball goes the same, my arm likes the 56 softness.

MikeHitsHard93
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
If you ever get bored with your rad os, you should give the pro open a try. Its stiffness is 66 but feels smooth and comfy.

LeeD
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks.
My body is pretty brittle at 63 years of age, 4 collarbone breaks, 2 left shoulder separations, one dislocate, and can't shave without support on the left elbow by my right hand. Can brush my teeth right handed, all alone, but not left handed.
Not wild about the stiffer rackets all the pros are playing with nowadaze.

roundiesee
11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
All 4 factors are equally important!! :) But seriously, Comfort definitely is first then followed by Feel, Plow-through and Paint.

power level 800
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
All 4 factors are equally important!! :) But seriously, Comfort definitely is first then followed by Feel, Plow-through and Paint.

YES. Exactly in that order for me as well. Comfort then feel, followed by the other you mentioned.

power level 800
11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
I like a racket that has a predictable sweetspot, good paint job, low power, and a fair price. I also like stiffer rackets.

predictable sweetspot, and low powered. are you a fan of the closed string pattern or opened?

Shangri La
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Feel and plow-through.

MikeHitsHard93
11-19-2012, 04:29 PM
predictable sweetspot, and low powered. are you a fan of the closed string pattern or opened?

I like both actually. Don't really have a preference!

MikeHitsHard93
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks.
My body is pretty brittle at 63 years of age, 4 collarbone breaks, 2 left shoulder separations, one dislocate, and can't shave without support on the left elbow by my right hand. Can brush my teeth right handed, all alone, but not left handed.
Not wild about the stiffer rackets all the pros are playing with nowadaze.

That really is too bad. You should probably stick with your rad hahahaha

power level 800
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I look for a racquet that is comfortable and maneuverable. I like to be able swing the racquet comfortably and do what like with the ball, like add heavy spin or hit flat. The pj doesn't matter as much but it would definitely sway me one way or another in a close match up.

definitely agree as using a paint job as a deciding factor between two. but oddly enough the best racquets I have ever swung have been ugly looking sticks.

power level 800
11-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I like both actually. Don't really have a preference!

I just feel like with an open string pattern (for me) the ball has too much pop and it just sits there in their wheel house, waiting for that high forehand to be crushed. :oops:

raemuel9323
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
control, swing weight/ weight and paintjob for me!

Tennusdude
11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately the most important thing about a racket to me is that it doesnt cause me any discomfort, but maybe that goes without saying

power level 800
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
control, swing weight/ weight and paintjob for me!

what swing weight is ideal for you?

Unfortunately the most important thing about a racket to me is that it doesnt cause me any discomfort, but maybe that goes without saying

same for comfort. medium in stiffness I take it.

pkshooter
11-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Not so much feel as control, and then plow through(lead tape) . So really since there are so many good control rackets, I just end up buying the good looking ones.

power level 800
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Not so much feel as control, and then plow through(lead tape) . So really since there are so many good control rackets, I just end up buying the good looking ones.

like which ones.?:)

Fuji
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Cosmetics first of course! :razz:

-Fuji

matchmaker
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Which factor is the most important one for you on deciding a racquet? and why.

Feel? Comfort? Plow through? or the Paint job?

You've actually put them exactly in the order I would rate them. Although for me comfort and plow through are almost a function of each other.

Magic of tennis
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
All I care is comfort, plow through, power and control.
I don't care paint job. I can use a racquet even if it looks aweful if it has all of the above

pkshooter
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
like which ones.?:)

Sorry actually I lied, I go for the cheapest ones.
Still my frames have been good looking, the two "real" rackets I've had are
- Dunlop 1hundred 4d
-Solinco pro 10 (I got two used ons for 180)

r5d3
11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Feel and plow probably used to rank higher for me, but now it's comfort at #1, as I recently started to feel mild elbow pains.

In the process of making the switch from the Pure Drive (a shame really, just bought it months ago) to the Organix V1 MP.

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
You forgot the most important factor of all:

Who's using it on the tour.

robbo1970
11-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Fortunately for the majority of racket specs there is a choice of different brand rackets offering the same, so when choosing the spec you want its not too difficult to get the brand and pj you like as well.

And....there do seem to be some nice pj's about these days.

Maui19
11-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Feel/sound is by far the most important. My racquet has to feel/sound crisp, but not harsh; solid but not jarring. After that, I want something that is decently forgiving, then provide a decent mix of control/power, with a slight edge to control over power.

If plowthrough isn't adequate, I'll just lead it up.

Attractive PJs are nice, but it plays no role in my selection of a racquet.

Alchemy-Z
11-20-2012, 03:25 AM
When I first got into tennis I bought my stick for it's paint job because I had no idea of all the differences and when I picked it up it just felt right.

I later demoed several sticks across a number of brands after I learned of all the types styles specs.

My original stick is the one I still like the best and that I play the best with.

robbo1970
11-20-2012, 03:49 AM
When I first got into tennis I bought my stick for it's paint job because I had no idea of all the differences and when I picked it up it just felt right.

I later demoed several sticks across a number of brands after I learned of all the types styles specs.

My original stick is the one I still like the best and that I play the best with.

Same here really. I liked the look of it, the shape of the head seemed nice and forgiving and it felt right the moment I picked it up. At the time I wasn't aware of all the difference specs and science that goes into these things and I know that it is considered a beginners racket, but it felt nice and was good value for money.

And if I'm honest with myself, I do play best with it, even though I rotate between that and the higher end.

tball
11-22-2012, 08:13 PM
In the early days, I went solely by cosmetics.
Then, I switched to comfort.
Then, I waded, for a couple of years, way off of the path -- into the fields of hype.
But now I am back, and there is only 1 criteria -- I choose a racquet which wins me matches.

This often means playing with an ugly and old racquet, with no comfort, and no hype on these boards.

But, to be true, it does not mean that I do not like or given up on the beautiful, or super-comfortable racquets, or even some of the over-hyped ones. I still have them -- I just do not play with them.

niremetal
11-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Price has to fit in there somewhere too.

NLBwell
11-22-2012, 08:17 PM
1) Soft enough to not hurt my arm
2) Controllable stringbed when I hit hard

raemuel9323
11-22-2012, 08:20 PM
what swing weight is ideal for you?

around 330-340