PDA

View Full Version : What to focus on - hip rotation or using arm to hit ball?

forehandbackhand21
11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Hey guys,

So I played today and I felt that my forehand wasn't controlled enough and I had to arm the ball too much to get power. I also felt some pain in my shoulder, probably due to focusing too much on swinging the arm. So instead I started accelerating my hip towards the ball, completely taking my mind off of my arm to swing. What I found was that I was effortlessly hitting much harder and with more spin, probably because my arm "followed" my hips. My question is, is this technically sound?

Thanks all!

LeeD
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I like to think of starting the swing with the torso or hitting turret moving just ahead of the arm. But that's connected to the hips, so we're basically saying the same thing with different terminology.

boramiNYC
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
arm is directly connected to the hip ,pelvis by lat dorsi, one of the major arm controlling muscles. hip is very important for both power and control of the arm. use it as much as you can as long as you don't disturb the bottom axis of torso rotation, which is also the hip. so use wisely.

LeeD
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Not suire about everyone else, but my arm is connected to my shoulders, which CAN move independent of my hips, by the flexing of the torso.
But yes, it's all needed for a smooth, effortless groundstroke and serve.

boramiNYC
11-19-2012, 04:46 PM
when you consciously try to move the arm independent of the hip you can but no matter how much you practice that independent move it'll never become an automatic movement that works subconsciously. try hard and report.

LeeD
11-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Not sure about that.
One of the old farts at our courts hits forehands all arms, no hip twist, no shoulder closing, whatsoever.
Seems I do a version of the same thing when choking and trying to keep the ball IN at all costs.
If the shoulder's stay closed throughout the entire stroke to it's followthru, there is no shoulder rotation.

tricky
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Focus more on using the oft-hand to measure or locate the incoming ball . This will give you better coordination between your hips and arm.

LeeD
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Said old fart takes the racketback one handed, his right, points at ball with left, and just arms the stroke thru.
He's 79, was one of the best player's at RoseGarden 30 years ago, playing at around 5.0 level.