PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour

MikeHitsHard93
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I bought one of these a long time ago. Have sold it since then. I only had it for a week because I despised it. Why? Because it vibrated a lot and didn't generate pace or spin. HOWEVER, it was strung with a stiff poly @57lbs.

If you have played with this frame, can you please give your impressions of this racket including but not limited to its vibration, power, and spin potential? I lovvvvveeeeddd the cosmetic. And I believe a tight string pattern is for me. Thanks!

un6a
11-20-2012, 01:16 AM
This racquet plays good with soft thin poly at lower tension (< 23kg). At higher tension or with stiffer string it can feel boardy and dead.
It have nice feel and superb control. Despite closed pattern spin is also good, power is relatively low.
Imo it needs lead at 12 in order to make it more solid and playable.
Biggest downside is small sweetspot, good form and timing is required. I like to play with it on hard courts, but prefer other racquets on clay where i need bigger sweetspot for unpredictable bounces.

rev200g
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I play my 4D300 Tours with only an overgrip added and with relatively low tension string setup (48 lbs mains & 52 lbs crosses). For me, this setup gives me great manoeuvrability, feel and control with good power, spin and stability. I prefer my 4D300 Tours over my 4D 200 and Bio300 Tour overall.

TripleB
11-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Here is the link to my thoughts after demoing it with several other racquets: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=388050&highlight=300T

If I were to choose this racquet to use on a regular basis, I would string it with Tour Bite 1.20 mains around 47 pounds and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 1.22 crosses around 50 pounds. Trying to get spin and a bit more pop out of it.

BTW: I felt this was a much better racquet that the Biomimetic Tour that replaced it...haven't tried the new F3.0.

TripleB

MikeHitsHard93
11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Here is the link to my thoughts after demoing it with several other racquets: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=388050&highlight=300T

If I were to choose this racquet to use on a regular basis, I would string it with Tour Bite 1.20 mains around 47 pounds and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 1.22 crosses around 50 pounds. Trying to get spin and a bit more pop out of it.

BTW: I felt this was a much better racquet that the Biomimetic Tour that replaced it...haven't tried the new F3.0.

TripleB

Very interesting read^^ thank you for posting. These are all rackets that I have considered except for the pacific. I'm just not a fan of the pacific muted feel or tapered beam.

Does your 300 vibrate much or at all? That's a huge deciding factor for me.

I'm surprised that say chi hasn't piped in yet or Fuji about me changing my mind lol.

Torres
11-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I bought one of these a long time ago. Have sold it since then. I only had it for a week because I despised it. Why? Because it vibrated a lot and didn't generate pace or spin. HOWEVER, it was strung with a stiff poly @57lbs.

None of that's down to the racquet. All of that is down to you.

The 4D 300T is a good stick, and even better with some additional lead in the hoop and handle. Solid construction, solid feeling, and it certainly does not 'vibrate'.

It's not disimilar to the Prestige MP.

Fuji
11-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Very interesting read^^ thank you for posting. These are all rackets that I have considered except for the pacific. I'm just not a fan of the pacific muted feel or tapered beam.

Does your 300 vibrate much or at all? That's a huge deciding factor for me.

I'm surprised that say chi hasn't piped in yet or Fuji about me changing my mind lol.

Hahaha!

The 4d300T is actually such a nice stick if you like the Dunlop feel. I demoed one with a soft multi in it (MCS @ 52lbs) and I really enjoyed the way it played. I wasn't huge into spec customization at the time and it felt a bit too light for me at the time however. With a bit of lead I could see it playing extremely well. My normal hitting partner uses one leaded up to around 12oz and it hits really nice.

The he uses I did the mods for and we used blu tac in the handle so that got rid of any extra vibrations coming through the handle. That being said he strings with RIP Control @ 60lbs and there isn't much vibration at all if any. :razz:

-Fuji

MikeHitsHard93
11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Hahaha!

The 4d300T is actually such a nice stick if you like the Dunlop feel. I demoed one with a soft multi in it (MCS @ 52lbs) and I really enjoyed the way it played. I wasn't huge into spec customization at the time and it felt a bit too light for me at the time however. With a bit of lead I could see it playing extremely well. My normal hitting partner uses one leaded up to around 12oz and it hits really nice.

The he uses I did the mods for and we used blu tac in the handle so that got rid of any extra vibrations coming through the handle. That being said he strings with RIP Control @ 60lbs and there isn't much vibration at all if any. :razz:

-Fuji

Thought you would enjoy that! :)

I think that the way to go is to string it at about 55 with full multi. I ordered my first one with pf black venom @57 and it was horrid. Made me despise the racket but maybe it wasn't the racket lol. I enjoyed how it swung and flexed. I may buy a 300 and a tour also. They cost less together than newer models

MikeHitsHard93
11-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh, and I'm shying away from heavy mid sized rackets because I was playing horribly with my prince exo3 graphite 100 last night. Too heavy for me. I am capping my swing weight ability at 325

swfh
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I play the 300 tour with a leather and overgrip, 6 grams at 3, 6 grams at 9, and 15 grams at 12. It is a beast of a stick... Don't put anything too stiff in it. I've played it with tensions ranging from 58 to 46 lbs, and loved all of them.

MikeHitsHard93
11-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Alright, I've come to the conclusion that I like stiff rackets. So the 300 is out f the question.

Been looking into stiffer, control oriented tweener/players sticks that are cheap. A few come to mind: tt warrior and 4D 500T. Any others?

ART ART
11-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I play the 300 tour with a leather and overgrip, 6 grams at 3, 6 grams at 9, and 15 grams at 12. It is a beast of a stick... Don't put anything too stiff in it. I've played it with tensions ranging from 58 to 46 lbs, and loved all of them.

You can't be serious... SW= ~383 , Mass= ~364grams, BP= ~34cm ?? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Yes... this would be "a beast of a stick..." :twisted:

swfh
11-22-2012, 06:04 PM
You can't be serious... SW= ~383 , Mass= ~364grams, BP= ~34cm ?? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Yes... this would be "a beast of a stick..." :twisted:

364 sw
364 mass
33.1 cm balance

ART ART
11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
364 sw
364 mass
33.1 cm balance

What's your initial specs ?

swfh
11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
What's your initial specs ?

I used whatever is on TW. Don't have a scale, so that was the best I could do. I calculated the swingweight using their swingweight calculator.

rev200g
11-23-2012, 10:37 PM
If you like a stiffer frame then I suggest you try out the Biomimetic 300 Tour which is noticeably stiffer and crisper feeling with more pop while swinging a bit lighter.