PDA

View Full Version : a few tennis questions

enishi1357
11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I want to make this thread because I have begin to question some tennis advice I received when i was a noob. To get us started:

Why does the body need to stay low?

Say Chi Sin Lo
11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Less moving parts, less chances of something going to hell.

An opportunity to use more of your core and legs to power into the shot. If it's high, it's really arm and upperbody strength.

Easier to control the shot, because the swing is closer to your body. When it gets high, you're swinging away from your body.

Ever-so-slightly faster time to return to ready position for the next shot.

Opportunity to impart more topspin into the shot. Remember you're brushing upwards, but if you're already high to begin with, there's not much more "up".

That's all I can think of.

Cheetah
11-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Less moving parts, less chances of something going to hell.

Not true at all.

Easier to control the shot, because the swing is closer to your body. When it gets high, you're swinging away from your body.

This is negligible. Not really relevant in this context.

Ever-so-slightly faster time to return to ready position for the next shot.

Hmm... sort of but not really.

Opportunity to impart more topspin into the shot. Remember you're brushing upwards, but if you're already high to begin with, there's not much more "up".

Nope.

Staying low gives you better balance and a lower center of gravity, quicker reaction time for a couple of reasons and more power because the legs are engaged.

SystemicAnomaly
11-21-2012, 04:12 AM
The body does not necessarily need to "stay" low on all shots but it is important for it to "get" low. The knees are bent during the preparation phase of the stroke, as the previous poster indicates, in order to lower the COG for stability and improved balance. This also provides a more complete kinetic chain for a more efficient/effective production of power. For the same reasons we see the the knees bent for martial arts and for most other sports.

When we execute a split step, the knees are bent in order to improve our reaction time -- to improve our footwork response to an opponent's shot. We will often "stay" low for a while on low shots. On most shots, however, we will get low and then move upward during the forward (or upward) swing of our stroke -- we "sit" and then lift during the execution phase of a stroke. On serves and very high groundstrokes we might jump. In order to jump, we must first bend the knees. Therefore, we get low for shots whether they are low, medium and high.

user92626
11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I second SA.

Stay low is a lousy way to teach anyone. No wonder the OP starts to question. Get low (and get up as fast as possible) is how we should do to get explosive on our strokes and good coverage. But it's not easy on the legs and knees though.

LeeD
11-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Body needs to stay low for all low balls, and old school, lots of low balls, very few shoulder high shots.

slowfox
11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
If only we can ask Jimmy Connors..

kopfan
11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Stay low to be more stable as it will means knee bent. As you stay low, you can reach low ball easier as it is easy to spring upward to add lift the ball over the net. Knee bending allow you to shift weight In more balancing movement while in split timing.
Anyway.. just stay low and do split step.. you will be alright.

LuckyR
11-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I want to make this thread because I have begin to question some tennis advice I received when i was a noob. To get us started:

Short answer: it doesn't. In the Classic game, the wheelhouse was lower, more shots skidded lower so by staying low you didn't pop up balls that would easy shots for you, if you stayed low.

In the Modern game, the wheelhouse is higher, but then again more shots are going to land higher, so though you want to be low for the rare low shot, that is uncommon.

mad dog1
11-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Short answer: it doesn't. In the Classic game, the wheelhouse was lower, more shots skidded lower so by staying low you didn't pop up balls that would easy shots for you, if you stayed low.

In the Modern game, the wheelhouse is higher, but then again more shots are going to land higher, so though you want to be low for the rare low shot, that is uncommon.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFGCv1_5q-tR-MYRtxvxt6ZSKSWWcNh5_h1Zq9D1udJGmNvRGySQ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXcl4PEZnMwNEl48NjbNemaeg1KCmWZ dz_UF1QzsRh6fZGbCm3hA

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYwbjz7NSf2662GUtzL0VnoIbhNlmTz swy4PGWi1xsm-LtJUZa

you see woz, sharapova and others getting doing the same on low balls for the reasons mentioned by cheetah and systemic.

rufus_smith
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Tks for the pics. Radwanska is a master at that low shot, isn't she?. It is marvelous to watch her great all-around technique on every shot.

(as a senior I can get that low, its getting back up that's the struggle!:))

3fees
11-23-2012, 07:33 AM

This is return of incoming low balls, get low,stay low,head up,swing is low to high, if you stand up the ball will go long or easy to hit pop up or mishit it if you reach for the ball-while standing up.

:mrgreen:

LuckyR
11-27-2012, 09:32 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFGCv1_5q-tR-MYRtxvxt6ZSKSWWcNh5_h1Zq9D1udJGmNvRGySQ

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXcl4PEZnMwNEl48NjbNemaeg1KCmWZ dz_UF1QzsRh6fZGbCm3hA

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYwbjz7NSf2662GUtzL0VnoIbhNlmTz swy4PGWi1xsm-LtJUZa

you see woz, sharapova and others getting doing the same on low balls for the reasons mentioned by cheetah and systemic.

.. on the rare occasions in the Modern game when the ball is in that zone (as mentioned above).

TennisCJC
11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
You do not stay low. You get low by using a bit of knee bend so you can lift with the legs into your shot. All topspin shots should have an element of lift with the legs - even hi balls. MTM, modern and classic all teach get low and lift. Vic Braden taught sit and lift 40 years ago. Jame Blake said his Dad taught him sit and lift as a kid. You don't sit and sit, you sit and lift with the sit originating from a knee bend with good balance.

The pictures of WTA players hitting in a deep knee squat is not proper form to copy. You never see this shot on ATP. On WTA, some use this technique on 1/2 volleys from near the baseline. I have no idea why they do it. It seems more of desparation block that a good technique to emulate. When Federer has to 1/2 volley a deep ball near the baseline, he gets low and lift a little as he hits the ball. He does not stay down in a squat.

Can anyone explain why WTA players hit out of a squat?

rufus_smith
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
The Radwanska squat shot in action :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQAwZ8QLJE&feature=player_detailpage#t=111s

My theory:

It is a defensive shot to hit when you are getting "jammed" at the baseline. It helps you to get your weight behind shot so all the force isn't on your wrist. It is not easy to lift from that low a squat position. I've tried it. Not much "low to high" motion. Radwanska just opens the racquet face a bit the hits pretty relatively flat which she tends to do on a lot of shots. Since her "feel" is so good not much topsin is needed to control the depth of the ball. I suppose men players rarely squat that low because they have stronger wrists and have a longer way to go down and may be less flexible in the legs.

She's basically reached a near best in the world WTA ranking without having anywhere near as much power as the other women. Its all marvelous technique and tactics for her.

SystemicAnomaly
11-27-2012, 05:09 PM
You do not stay low. You get low by using a bit of knee bend so you can lift with the legs into your shot. All topspin shots should have an element of lift with the legs - even hi balls. MTM, modern and classic all teach get low and lift. Vic Braden taught sit and lift 40 years ago. Jame Blake said his Dad taught him sit and lift as a kid. You don't sit and sit, you sit and lift with the sit originating from a knee bend with good balance.

The pictures of WTA players hitting in a deep knee squat is not proper form to copy. You never see this shot on ATP. On WTA, some use this technique on 1/2 volleys from near the baseline. I have no idea why they do it. It seems more of desparation block that a good technique to emulate. When Federer has to 1/2 volley a deep ball near the baseline, he gets low and lift a little as he hits the ball. He does not stay down in a squat.

Can anyone explain why WTA players hit out of a squat?

Women tend to be more flexible than men in this respect. How about Clijsters and other doing the splits on some shots? Only a small % of men are able to do this.

Forget about the squat. I have seen some elite male players who stay low for a while on a low shot -- like a low volley or low groundie.

toly
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
AO 2012 Kvitova Squat Backhand From Baseline -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmghFJMPpo&feature=youtu.be