PDA

View Full Version : Switching From Head MG Rad. MP?

TinTheCan
11-21-2012, 02:01 AM
So I've had this MicroGel Rad MP for about a year, and I feel like I should switch from it. Maybe to something with a little more access to depth and power. I was considering demoing a few racquets, maybe the Head Youtek IG Speed? IG Prestige Pro/MP? Can you guys recommend me some racquets that are a little similar to the MicroGel MP and tell me how they compare it?

Thanks! :)

3.5 - 4.0 player, more of a baseliner, 2H backhand.

makinao
11-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Perhaps an OS?

MikeHitsHard93
11-21-2012, 03:12 AM
The speed and prestige aren't really going to add any power. If anything, they are less powerful. Go for a controllable tweener. Just go to "racket help" and select power as your type of racket. there will be many great options

taurussable
11-21-2012, 03:26 AM
So I've had this MicroGel Rad MP for about a year, and I feel like I should switch from it. Maybe to something with a little more access to depth and power. I was considering demoing a few racquets, maybe the Head Youtek IG Speed? IG Prestige Pro/MP? Can you guys recommend me some racquets that are a little similar to the MicroGel MP and tell me how they compare it?

Thanks! :)

3.5 - 4.0 player, more of a baseliner, 2H backhand.

easy, add weight. mg rad is the one of the best platform racquet for u to customize.

fuzz nation
11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
I'd say that you'll probably get more potential for depth and power with a heavier frame of similar flex, just as long as you're using a similar complete stroke. Maybe try a Prestige or a heavier Radical - at least you'll have a familiar grip shape with those options. If you simply want more "pop" from your gear, a stiffer alternative like an Extreme could be worth a look, but that might be both a little more harsh on the arm and tougher to control when you swing away.

Other possibilities could include some of the heavier models from Pacific, Yonex, the Babolat Storms, and the Redondos or Black Aces from PK. I'm a BIG fan of Volkl's gear, but their C10 (which I use) has a unique personality. You might want to check out their X-10's, just because a high school slugger I coach fell in love with that frame last year (he switched from the Pure Drive Roddick).

jonnyboi09
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
I've used the Microgel Radical Mp for 6 months but just switched to the Aeropro Drive GT. I was surprised at how much control I had and the extra power was exactly what I missed in the Radical. I'm a 4.5 baseliner FWIW but the switch was a great one for me.

vetinari
11-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Have you tried the IG radical pro? Lots of power, but similar to your current racquet.

hersito
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I've used the Microgel Radical Mp for 6 months but just switched to the Aeropro Drive GT. I was surprised at how much control I had and the extra power was exactly what I missed in the Radical. I'm a 4.5 baseliner FWIW but the switch was a great one for me.

An APDGT giving more control than a HRMP? hard to believe but ok, e1 can have their opinion, I would get it if you say more spin or power but more control?

If you want to try a similar raquet with a bit more pober tey the wilson BLX 98, maybe the new 2013 one.

jonnyboi09
11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
An APDGT giving more control than a HRMP? hard to believe but ok, e1 can have their opinion, I would get it if you say more spin or power but more control?

If you want to try a similar raquet with a bit more pober tey the wilson BLX 98, maybe the new 2013 one.

I didn't necessarily say it had more control, but the spin and sweetspot more than make up for the small difference in control.

TinTheCan
11-21-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd say that you'll probably get more potential for depth and power with a heavier frame of similar flex, just as long as you're using a similar complete stroke. Maybe try a Prestige or a heavier Radical - at least you'll have a familiar grip shape with those options. If you simply want more "pop" from your gear, a stiffer alternative like an Extreme could be worth a look, but that might be both a little more harsh on the arm and tougher to control when you swing away.

Other possibilities could include some of the heavier models from Pacific, Yonex, the Babolat Storms, and the Redondos or Black Aces from PK. I'm a BIG fan of Volkl's gear, but their C10 (which I use) has a unique personality. You might want to check out their X-10's, just because a high school slugger I coach fell in love with that frame last year (he switched from the Pure Drive Roddick).

Yeah I was thinking about a Prestige or Radical, maybe even a Redondo. Never thought I'd try a PK. I honestly just want to try something new. The MGMP works well, but I want to try something different in hopes that it'll really fit me. But honestly, couldn't you just spend a lot of time with one racquet and eventually get used to it and play well with it, as opposed to just repeatedly demoing?

MikeHitsHard93
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah I was thinking about a Prestige or Radical, maybe even a Redondo. Never thought I'd try a PK. I honestly just want to try something new. The MGMP works well, but I want to try something different in hopes that it'll really fit me. But honestly, couldn't you just spend a lot of time with one racquet and eventually get used to it and play well with it, as opposed to just repeatedly demoing?

Yes, but people like me and many others on tt can't sit still with just one lol

hrstrat57
11-22-2012, 03:56 AM
easy, add weight. mg rad is the one of the best platform racquet for u to customize.

Leather grip and lead 4" strips centered at 3/9. 15 minutes spent and about $15 will transform the thing into a beast......