PDA

View Full Version : Spin effect technology vs. "classic" racket

three.dee
11-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Hello everybody,

This is my first post in this forum and I am very happy that I've found such a big online tennis community!

Here is my question: my old racket (which has about 8 years now) has broke a few weeks ago and since then I'm searching for a new one.
I see that there are a lot of options out there, but after a lot of study I managed to narrow down to search to just a few models.

I am an advanced player and my style of play is based on control and spin. Of course I also hit flat when needed. I like rackets over 320 g heavy with about the same swingweight, so the racket that I put my eyes on is the Wilson Pro Staff Six One 90, since this one is pretty heavy, it has a pretty big swingweight, it is headlight for easy manouvering, a bit opened pattern, etc.

But now, I see that Wilson (I am a Wilson fan by the way) comes with a new technology: the spin effect which got me thinking a bit... It is another option which is a bit more different.

Of course I'd like more RPM, every player that spins would like that, but wouldn't the wide opened pattern hurt my control and my flat shots?
I see that a lot of players who tested the Steam 99S are very impressed with the extra spin compared to a "normal" racket, but no one talks about the control difference over a "normal" racket...

If I think on my own, I would say that the control has to suffer with a much opened pattern... The rule that I know is the opened the pattern is, the less control you have, but maybe someone who tested this racket can give me a bit more info about the difference from a normal racket. I would highly appreciate that!

Basically, my question is: if I am an advanced player and I like classic rackets, should i change to this new technology, will it improve my game?
I think many people are thinking about this and I hope answering my question will help others as well.

I hope I haven't bothered anyone with my long story, I wanted to be as precise as possible.

Thank you and I would like to see any input you have on this matter!

UCSF2012
11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Open pattern control rackets tend to be very stiff, to account for the "loss of control" from the open pattern. The K90 has an open pattern in the center, and it's possibly the stiff racket in history. The Diablo Mid has an open pattern, and it's arm shattering stiff.

The Steam was never a control racket in the first place, so with the S, you're winning off your opponent's mishits, not your accuracy.

HEADfamilydynasty
11-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Open pattern control rackets tend to be very stiff, to account for the "loss of control" from the open pattern. The K90 has an open pattern in the center, and it's possibly the stiff racket in history. The Diablo Mid has an open pattern, and it's arm shattering stiff.

The Steam was never a control racket in the first place, so with the S, you're winning off your opponent's mishits, not your accuracy.

I agree with all but this. Then again thats just me.
In my experience if your elbow is immune to stiffness(like mine8):)) Then these types of rackets have great directional control. More open patterns offer increased depth control IIRC. So with directional control from the stiffness and the depth control from the open pattern + the right strings and tension(duh:)) It may be worth a demo if you can.

sundaypunch
11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
People can make suggestions, but you will probably have to hit the racquet to know if is a good fit for you.