PDA

View Full Version : Jerkyll Island, GA

penang
08-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Anyone been there and play there? Someone told me there are many tennis programs and pick up game there.

NoBadMojo
08-16-2005, 07:08 AM
hi there..not much going on tenniswise on jekyll. check out the old indoor court when you go tho. you could find more tennis to the north on st simons island and to the south on amelia island.

Geezer Guy
08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
I checked out the tennis facility on Jekyl (or whatever) Island a couple of years ago. There's one tennis club that has maybe a dozen har-tru courts. There were quite a few people playing when I was there. Looked like a fairly OK place. I talked to the pro, and he said they have a LOT of play during the winter, but not as much during the summer.

What's on St Simon's Island? I didn't see anything when I was there (other than the complex on Sea Island, which looks to be way outside my price point).

RKS12
08-16-2005, 08:19 AM
I played a state tournament at Jekyll. Nice facility. The staff seems cooperative and can probably line up a game. It seemed like the kind of place where even if there were not a lot of guys hanging around, they could make some calls and get you a game. St. Simons has more players who are full time residents, though.

K. Wilson Moose
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I checked out the tennis facility on Jekyl (or whatever) Island a couple of years ago. There's one tennis club that has maybe a dozen har-tru courts. There were quite a few people playing when I was there. Looked like a fairly OK place. I talked to the pro, and he said they have a LOT of play during the winter, but not as much during the summer.

What's on St Simon's Island? I didn't see anything when I was there (other than the complex on Sea Island, which looks to be way outside my price point).

Yeah, that is a nice facility. I have played there several times, usually in the fall however. There is a golf course there as well.

Watch out for the noseeums. They used to sell small bottles of Avon Skin So Soft in the pro shop. The noseeums can't stand it.

154Ace
08-17-2005, 07:42 AM
I play USTA tournaments there all of the time. Great place with cool people. The courts arent in very good condition though. Im used to playing on brand new clay and hard courts, so to me they're not that nice. Go to the Saint Simons Island tennis retreat. great courts.

Geezer Guy
08-17-2005, 09:03 AM
... Go to the Saint Simons Island tennis retreat. great courts.

I'm very interested in tennis on (or near) St Simons Island, but I can't find any online reference to a "Saint Simons Island Tennis Retreat". Are you by chance thinking of the "Sea Palms Golf and Tennis Resort"?

154Ace
08-18-2005, 07:04 AM
I'll find some contact info.

Geezer Guy
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I'll find some contact info.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

mrw
08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Jekyll Island, wow that place is loaded with history, mystery and intrigue.I have always wanted to go there. A future trip for sure.

Geezer Guy
08-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Jekyll Island, wow that place is loaded with history, mystery and intrigue.I have always wanted to go there. A future trip for sure.
It's not bad, but not great. You can see everything there is to see in half a day, easy. When I was there they were preparing for the G-8 conference on nearby Sea Island. There were camaflage troops and bunkers everywhere. Big anti-aircraft guns, the works.

mrw
08-23-2005, 02:57 PM
That place has a long history of secret government meetings. The Federal Reserve was brain stormed there.