PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a 9 year old son

Unfrozen Caveman
11-21-2012, 05:43 PM
My son has been playing tennis for about a year or so, a bit more frequently over the last 5 months. He is an after school clinic with many kids his age, many of whom are a little or substantially better than he is. And he has played two 10 and under tennis tournaments. He seems to enjoy it.

He has not taken any private lessons unless you count our sessions together. I am a 4.5 player, who formerly played competitive junior tennis and for a small college. I have hit with him and given him some tips. But, because of our schedules, our on court time has been sporadic. Does anyone know of a recent book or other fairly recent resource that is a kind of "this is a recommended sequence of development for juniors today?"

CoachingMastery
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
My son has been playing tennis for about a year or so, a bit more frequently over the last 5 months. He is an after school clinic with many kids his age, many of whom are a little or substantially better than he is. And he has played two 10 and under tennis tournaments. He seems to enjoy it.

He has not taken any private lessons unless you count our sessions together. I am a 4.5 player, who formerly played competitive junior tennis and for a small college. I have hit with him and given him some tips. But, because of our schedules, our on court time has been sporadic. Does anyone know of a recent book or other fairly recent resource that is a kind of "this is a recommended sequence of development for juniors today?"

From my 35 years of coaching and teaching tennis, I wrote, "Coaching Mastery" which defines player development for all levels and ages of juniors. Having taught over 100 state, national and a few world-ranked players, in addition to coaching one of the most successful high school tennis teams in the U.S., I wanted to share the "Advanced Foundation" principles, (that I defined in my first book, "Tennis Mastery,") for coaches, tennis parents, and pros.

Too many parents derail the potential of their kids through improper tennis progressions...not intentionally, just through inexperience. My books, and others like them, can help you minimize hurting your kids and maximize their progress and skill development.

Both my books are here at TennisWarehouse. There are a number of other good books here too!

Unfrozen Caveman
11-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks!

Perfectly suited to my needs. Looking forward to reading it.

With 3 kids 9 and under, I hope I'll be able to use it for years.

11-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I'd like to endorse Dave's books as well.
His experience level is rare and getting it in print like that is even more rare.
Great resource!

CoachingMastery
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks!

Perfectly suited to my needs. Looking forward to reading it.

With 3 kids 9 and under, I hope I'll be able to use it for years.

Please let me know if you have any questions after reading through the book. I will be happy to respond here if I am around. Also, you can reach me through TennisOne.com or synergy-books.com. I try to answer all my mail and especially those with questions!

And thank you to 5263 for his support! I appreciate you taking the time to post that!