PDA

View Full Version : One racquet to rule them all

vetinari
11-21-2012, 08:57 PM
First attempt at painting a racquet. Not totally happy with it, but learned a bunch for the next time I do it.

It's an extreme pro and I went for simple with some reference to a little JRR Tolkien.

http://i.imgur.com/ErypZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EhLJg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/17xcG.jpg

canadad
11-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I think you did a great job! Good on you for the guts and the artistic ability.

Seventeen
11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Haha looks great!

treblings
11-21-2012, 09:08 PM
well done:)
im in the midst of a paintjob of an old head radical myself so i can appreciate how good yours is.

care to elaborate how you did it?

t3Nn1sn0ob
11-21-2012, 09:09 PM
That looks sick!

lawlaw
11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Quick question for those that have done it, but what process are you using to add the graphics? I am about to have 6 frames painted, but might look into adding some graphics along the throat of the frame.

kimguroo
11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Quick question for those that have done it, but what process are you using to add the graphics? I am about to have 6 frames painted, but might look into adding some graphics along the throat of the frame.

Waterslide decal might be the easiest one.
You can check my previous thread.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=361608

vetinari
11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
There are a few posts that are a couple years old on how others have done it. I followed some of those, but ended up doing a couple things differently.

In the guide I read it recommended lacquer paint, but that takes *forever* to dry as it dries by evaporation (like weeks). So I sanded it back down and went with higher quality paints and catalyzed automotive paints (2k urethanes) which shortened the process from weeks to a couple days.

As far as the decals, there were several recommendations for doing it, but I went with decal pro, which is system for making dry transfer decals.

I went with the dry transfer decal system because it transfers your graphic to a metallic foil where other systems had you print from an inkjet printer onto special decal paper. The problem with the inkjet method is that inkjets don't print white and the ink color combinations assume/require a white background. Using a frisket or stencil seemed harder than making the decals, plus I would have to make the frisket anyway.

Short version is:
urethane primer
wicked color jet black applied with an airbrush
apply decals
Hot rod flatz 2k urethane matte clear

vetinari
11-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Another thing I learned in reading carbon fiber bike refinishing forum posts. There are a lot of posts there about how you shouldn't use paint stripper on carbon fiber as it could dissolve or weaken the epoxy that serves as the matrix for the carbon fibers. So I sanded the racquet down instead. By hand was way too slow so I took it down to the primer with a dremel tool then sanded the rest with progressively finer sandpaper.

That was easily the hardest and messiest part of repainting.

Rozroz
11-21-2012, 11:08 PM
i would have made it a golden frame though ;)

NickJ
11-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Does it say 'Extreme Poo' down the side . . . ??? Bit harsh eh?

rlau
11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
First attempt at painting a racquet. Not totally happy with it, but learned a bunch for the next time I do it.

It's an extreme pro and I went for simple with some reference to a little JRR Tolkien.

http://i.imgur.com/ErypZ.jpg

OK, from that angle it looked as if the decal said Extreme poo...

EDIT: Sorry, NickJ, hadn't seen you noticed that too...

Hi I'm Ray
11-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Best PJ I've seen on here. Thanks for telling us how it was done too. BTW I'm assuming its black and showing up green because it was shot under tungsten or florescent lights right?

lawlaw
11-22-2012, 02:02 AM
I was looking at a product called Carbo-Lift, but from what I've read on material/carbon forums they say "don't". I am thinking about having them use something like Bulldog paint adhesive, then a primer, then paint. My frames are always customised to make them a lot heavier, so additional weight won't be much of an issue. I'll look into the graphics so I can put something simple on the throat.

NickJ
11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
OK, from that angle it looked as if the decal said Extreme poo...

EDIT: Sorry, NickJ, hadn't seen you noticed that too...

Not a problem!

Don't Let It Bounce
11-22-2012, 06:17 AM
It's an extreme pro and I went for simple with some reference to a little JRR TolkienOh, man... I am utterly astounded that someone else had this thought. I have planning for years to get around to putting Tengwar script around the inside of the hoop of a racket, and I would have bet anything that when I finally got around to it I'd be the only kid on the block with one! Yours looks great; thanks for posting the photos.

I never did settle on what mine would read, though since it would be on a classic frame I was leaning toward "The old that is strong does not wither," and maybe a couple more lines from Bilbo's Aragorn poem. What does yours read? (EDIT: I just noticed the thread title. I don't suppose you dug up a Quenya word to replace "nazg" with something that might translate as "racket"?)

vetinari
11-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Nickj and rlau -- despite how I play on some days, it does say pro. Although now that you've pointed it out, that's all I see too. Does look a bit better IRL.

vetinari
11-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Ray -- yes, it's flat black. Should have used my dslr, but my phone camera is just so easy.

vetinari
11-22-2012, 07:31 AM
DLIB -- doesn't say anything cool/authentic. I think it was something like: this is just nonsense, hey zippy looks cool zippy zippy zippy.

vetinari
11-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Lawlaw -- I read negative things about carbolift too, so I just went with sanding. The dremel made it a whole lot easier. They have these abrasive discs that get in the grommet channel really well, but still take the paint off slow. I also used abrasive buffs and cautiously some fine sanding drums.

As far as primer I would just go with a high build urethane primer. I talked it over with the guy at the automotive paint shop and that's what he recommended. Avoid bondo -- read negative things about bondo as well.

Bartelby
11-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm sure you won't be, but you could get sued for painting an imitation of a Head brand name. You're spoiling their image management.

vetinari
11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Well if head had someone besides a color blind kindergartner deciding racquet paint jobs I wouldn't have to fix it, right? Seriously I think they purposely pick designs that can be identified on TV or from several hundred meters away. Them and Wilson.

pkshooter
11-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Well if head had someone besides a color blind kindergartner deciding racquet paint jobs I wouldn't have to fix it, right? Seriously I think they purposely pick designs that can be identified on TV or from several hundred meters away. Them and Wilson.

+1 I think their doing it on purpose.

NickJ
11-22-2012, 11:19 PM
IMO nothing looks better than an all black frame, and your addition of Elven script and Extreme Poo just adds to its beauty! Well done sir. (Sorry about the Poo thing again but it cracks me up! Love it!)

Xonemains
11-23-2012, 04:38 AM
wow dude, that looks good!!!

if someone paid you to do a job like that, how much would you charge them??

just curious, :)

kimguroo
11-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Probably over $100.
I've done several PJ but Stripping paint takes forever haha. Specially when someone pay for the PJ, Paint has to be removed smoothly throughout frame otherwise the racket won't have professional paint job quality.
Actual paint job is easiest job with Airbrush and take less than 10min each (two-three coat needed).

kingduo
11-23-2012, 08:31 AM
That's very nice...

vetinari
11-23-2012, 01:22 PM

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'd take it to an automotive repair or paint shop and see what they would charge to do it.

It's one of those things where it's too expensive to charge someone else for my time, but okay to waste my own time on my own extreme poo.

vetinari
11-23-2012, 01:23 PM
That's very nice...

Thanks!

--
J

kimguroo
11-23-2012, 02:05 PM
If you don't want to do it yourself, I'd take it to an automotive repair or paint shop and see what they would charge to do it.

I don't think it's good idea to bring rackets to paint shop for custom painting.
They won't care about your frame and might harm your racket (especially stripping paint process). Best way to strip paint is by hand in my opinion and it's not fun at all. I don't think paint shops are willing to strip paint by hand.
I spent over 6 hrs to completely stripping paints (three hrs for two days) and a week to paint (dry and cure then repaint several times).

vetinari
11-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Automotive shops might not be the right place then. I have little experience there.

But another place to try would be a bike shop. Painting a carbon fiber bike has more in common with painting a tennis racquet than painting a car I suppose.