PDA

View Full Version : cracked frame related to elbow pain?

jk175d
11-23-2012, 04:22 AM
I've never had anything remotely approaching tennis elbow before. But In the last week I've started to have occasional pain on sort of the outside part of my elbow, or really just above it. I don't notice it at all playing tennis or most any time, just occasional I'll lift my arm in a way that gives it a little pang.

So I'm trying to figure out if a cracked frame might do enough to alter the shock absorbtion of the racquet to be causing this. I play a Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16x18. already a super flexy stick, and I string up gut/poly at 51/43. About two weeks ago my raquect slipped from my hand in a warmup serve and slammed into the hardcourt putting two cracks in the hoop at about 10 and 2 o'clock. But, it sees to be holding together fine and the stringbed still feels solid. I've played with it at least 15hrs since the crack and it's been playing normal. I suspect the cracks are bad enough I won't be able to restring it though.

But... now this hint of elbow pain. The only variable that has changed I can think of is this crack. Could it be a factor?

El Diablo
11-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Seems unlikely. The kind of force that causes elbow problems (torque on the joint) would not be increased and might even be reduced by a crack that results in more flexing of the frame.

Steve Huff
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I think a cracked frame can cause elbow pain. Different frequencies of vibration you may not notice while playing can still have some effect on your arm.

Maui19
11-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I recently a had frame crack. It gradually started making some "secondary" high pitched pinging noise when I would strike a ball. It also felt progressively awful as the cracks got worse.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the cracked frame created some vibrations that your elbow didn't like.

SteveI
11-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I think a cracked frame can cause elbow pain. Different frequencies of vibration you may not notice while playing can still have some effect on your arm.

Have to think this a logical thought. The entire PK 5G technology is based on removing frequencies of vibration. Think of driving your car with a bad rim on one of your wheels. Can't be a good thing to play with a cracked frame.

thecrusher956
11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
I've had same problem before, and developed tennis elbow. Don't take a risk and stop playing with that frame.

yonexRx32
11-24-2012, 11:31 AM
that the small cracks would have led to tennis elbow. Are you using polyester strings? Over 15 days, there is abundance of time for the strings to go dead. To achieve the same power you have to swing harder, rushing your strokes .. hence poor form and more impact on your elbow. Or is it possible that over the same 15 days have played against opponents with a different style; for example opponents hitting harder, with more top spin? Hitting the ball too late, slightly behind you, is one of the major reason for injuries. Or maybe you have tried to change your strokes to achieve more spin, therefore putting more torque on your elbow. I think any of these are far more likely reasons than the cracks you mention.

jk175d
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
that the small cracks would have led to tennis elbow. Are you using polyester strings? Over 15 days, there is abundance of time for the strings to go dead. To achieve the same power you have to swing harder, rushing your strokes .. hence poor form and more impact on your elbow. Or is it possible that over the same 15 days have played against opponents with a different style; for example opponents hitting harder, with more top spin? Hitting the ball too late, slightly behind you, is one of the major reason for injuries. Or maybe you have tried to change your strokes to achieve more spin, therefore putting more torque on your elbow. I think any of these are far more likely reasons than the cracks you mention.

No, those hours were mostly singles against the same guy I play at least 100 times in the year, so I'm not doing anything different. Strings are as I said gut mains and low tension poly crosses, again, same set up I always use, so nothing different there either.

jk175d
11-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Have to think this a logical thought. The entire PK 5G technology is based on removing frequencies of vibration. Think of driving your car with a bad rim on one of your wheels. Can't be a good thing to play with a cracked frame.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced the more I think about it that it makes sense the cracked frame is responsible. I'm done playing with it but I guess I'll keep it in the bag to pull out and smash on the court sometime during a match for effect. :)