PDA

View Full Version : New aid for TE

sureshs
11-24-2012, 11:25 AM
I am watching some racketball on Tennis Channel, and they showed a new device made by one the sponsoring companies (ACE). It is an elbow brace, but it uses a dial to increase or decrease pressure on a tendon, like accupressure. It does not cut off blood flow like a tourniquet, but applies point pressure. It is worn with the dial in one position for TE, and in another for GE.

sureshs
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Oops wrong section. Please move to the Health and Fitness section.

tlm
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
There is no magic brace that is going to fix TE. You have to rest and when ready do very light tricep press downs and flexbar movements until fully healed. Then a complete forearm workout 2-3 times a week and you can kiss TE goodbye for good.

The alternative is to be constantly troubled with it for years like so many are because they lack the proper knowledge and are to lazy to commit to weight training.

sureshs
11-24-2012, 08:34 PM
That is what I believe too. I just wanted to put it out there in case I am wrong and it really does benefit somebody.

Frank Silbermann
11-25-2012, 04:12 AM
I think the way the dial works is more important than its adjustability -- in that it focuses the pressure better on one spot. (My theory is that if the band allows you to play completely without pain, then wear it to play. But if it merely reduces the pain, then you shouldn't play yet.)

sureshs
11-25-2012, 09:56 AM
I think the way the dial works is more important than its adjustability -- in that it focuses the pressure better on one spot. (My theory is that if the band allows you to play completely without pain, then wear it to play. But if it merely reduces the pain, then you shouldn't play yet.)

That is what they said - focused pressure unlike other bands

boramiNYC
11-25-2012, 10:20 PM
TE = problem with technique.
getting rid of the immediate pain = short term plan
fixing the technique = long term plan

sureshs
11-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Rod Laver had TE too.

Overuse is also probably a cause.

boramiNYC
11-26-2012, 08:38 AM
considering how big his forearm was, I suspect his technique involved lots of control and power from forearm. top pros doesn't mean they have perfect technique. they just found a way to win a lot even with some minor issues with technique.

also if he was playing anything lower level than top pro I doubt it would have become any problem.

charliefedererer
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

This devise targets Compression.

Probably could do the same with foam under an ace or elbow brace.

But the first letter in RICE is R.

Rest.

Don't use a device to continue to play, making the elbow worse and worse - and the ultimate recovery longer and more difficult.

DavaiMarat
11-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I suffered from ligament damage near my elbow but it turns out the frame I was using was too stiff and dead. God rid of the Head Extremes and went back to my Prestiges and in 6 weeks and some physio it was gone.

I played thru with a brace but in hind sight it was probably a bad idea. It caused me to pick up some bad habits to cope with the pain. Rest is the best remedy.

TimothyO
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

This devise targets Compression.

Probably could do the same with foam under an ace or elbow brace.

But the first letter in RICE is R.

Rest.

Don't use a device to continue to play, making the elbow worse and worse - and the ultimate recovery longer and more difficult.

Excellent advice! RICE is a religion in our home since my wife, my sons, and I all play sports. It's amazing how fast and fully one can recover with proper care. And it's predictable how long, painful, and uncertain recovery can be when seeking short cuts and using "band aids" that don't address the core issue.

I see lots of braces on tennis courts and tried some myself. After hearing about fellow club members who had to completely give up tennis by not taking care of injuries properly I stopped that nonsense. A few extra days or weeks of tennis is not worth the risk of permant damage.

kopfan
11-26-2012, 01:05 PM
TE is cause by uncomfortable techniques. Every person is different and should make slight adjustment to get comfortable even if they are using the so called standard or correct techniques. The very common issue that cause TE is the grip size and grip tightness. Wrist movement and arming when striking the ball. If you do not feel relax and comfortable when hitting a ball, there are chances that might cause TE as stress is building up on your arm.