PDA

View Full Version : Hammer grip

anubis
11-26-2012, 05:30 AM
I shot a video of myself hitting against a wall about a week or so ago. POV was from behind me. I slowed the playback down to be really really slow and I noticed something really weird that I've never noticed before: the way that I grip my racquet looks really awkward.

I was gripping the racquet like a hammer, so that the racquet was perpendicular to my arm. It just didn't look right to me, it looked like it was an inefficient method of hitting the ball.

I've never really noticed this before, never given it a second thought because I don't notice how I'm gripping the racquet during a game (any more than SW vs. E). I didn't notice until I slowed the video down first.

Then I googled the top 5 pros hitting a forehand in slow motion. None of them have a "hammer" grip, they all have a different grip.

Does anyone have a name for that grip? It's more than just semi-western or eastern, you can use this grip with any of them I think. It's almost as if the racquet is in a straight line with your forearm, as opposed to being perpendicular.

thanks

OHBH
11-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Pistol grip is the word you are looking for.

anubis
11-26-2012, 06:58 AM
thanks. is that more common than the hammer grip?

boramiNYC
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
it's a great thing you are seeing it. how you hold the grip can make huge difference. it took me about a year of trial and error to find out how to do it properly and still refining. I use pistol grip in everything. you need to loosen the finger grip and focus the pressure to a few specific points in the palm. the most important being the pinky side heelpad.

anubis
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Yeah, its funny how one can see the necessity of something by observing how "natural" or "unnatural" something looks. It's going to take me some time to re-calibrate my swing path with a new grip, so I'll keep using my hammer grip for matches for now... don't want to tank a match just because I'm "experimenting". Hopefully by the spring season it will be ready for prime time.

LeeD
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Except for McEnroe's forehand, most players have an angle between their forearm and the racket, so they can take the ball early.
On a 1hbh backhand, a hammer grip allows the racket to stay parallel to the ground, so the head doesn't dip downwards on low balls.
On a serve, it allows pronation to add the little bit of extra RHSpeed.
On a volley, it allows you to hit in front while using a conti grip, getting your weight behind the ball, rather than on the side of the ball.
So, modified hammer??:

2ManyAces
11-29-2012, 05:46 AM
never heard pistol grip haha