PDA

View Full Version : What do you do after a serve?

derickyan
11-26-2012, 03:21 PM
what do you do after a serve in a singles match? do you run up all the way to net or stay in the back? i just played this guy yesterday and he drove me crazy. i stood in the back and he would hit so weak and make me run all the way to the net, then he would finish me off with a harder hit and made the ball flying to the back. any tips? :confused:

LeeD
11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Yes, employ basic tennis stategy.
If your serve is so weak that the returner can drop shot it, and also hit deep, then you need to serve and set up just inside your own baseline, so you can run to the net to fetch his return, now YOU go hit it deep into his backhand corner, recover to middle of your service box, and await his lob or pass attempt.
If your returner hits it deep into your court, you're caught in NML, so half volley it back into his backhand side, and get yourself into your baseline play position depth..
If your serve can force certain returns, then you have more options.

dennis10is
11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Nothing much, just cross the midline and serve the next point or if I've won the game, send the balls over to my opponent.

BTW, I do the same after I return the serve.

Tennis is a simpe game really.

Bagumbawalla
11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I noticed you had only one response. After reading your question, I can see why. I don't believe that any simple, pithy suggestions that you might get, here, will do you any good.

The fact that you ask the question, shows you are serious about tennis and want to improve. The question, itself, suggests that, to improve your game, you will have to do some serious work.

1. Work with a qualified professional to improve your total game so you have few(er) weaknesses to be taken advantage of.

2.Work on your strengths so you can build weapons that will help you win points.

3. Learn tactics and strategies- defensive and agressive- that will help you play percentage tennis. There are books on this, and videos on youtube.

4. Practice more, play for "fun" less.

5. Find a good/reliable practice partner.

6. Get a book on tennis drills- and practice them.

7. Work on general fitness and movement.

8. When you lose, look back and try to see what aspect of your game needs improving- then practice/drill those things.

9. When you win, think about why you won and how to work those things into future victories.

LuckyR
11-28-2012, 07:31 AM
what do you do after a serve in a singles match? do you run up all the way to net or stay in the back? i just played this guy yesterday and he drove me crazy. i stood in the back and he would hit so weak and make me run all the way to the net, then he would finish me off with a harder hit and made the ball flying to the back. any tips? :confused:

The dude was (and is) better than you. Don't worry about losing to him. Just continue to improve your game by whichever resources and motivation you have available. It will be easy to advance beyond the level where that sort of tactic will work against you.

3fees
11-28-2012, 02:01 PM

called a marshmellow serve,,take one step inside the court before the serve, then run in and pound it.

Serve and run in - called serve and volley,,when you can you hit a top spin drive right too him bounce at his feet,,preferably while he is in no mans land,,this will cure him of coming in behind a marshmellow serve.

PhrygianDominant
11-28-2012, 11:34 PM
After I serve, I admire the ace I just hit and walk to the other side of the center line. Seriously, that happened once. Otherwise, I swear and get ready to hit a second serve, or walk to the other side of the center line.

TomT
11-29-2012, 01:28 AM
what do you do after a serve in a singles match? do you run up all the way to net or stay in the back? i just played this guy yesterday and he drove me crazy. i stood in the back and he would hit so weak and make me run all the way to the net, then he would finish me off with a harder hit and made the ball flying to the back. any tips? :confused:I have to suppose that in asking this question then you're a relatively low level competitor. Like me. :) Like, say, 3.5 or below -- and that you have either a relatively weak serve (for that level) or a relatively strong serve (for that level).

It would help a lot if you would post some vids of your playing.

For myself, I have a relatively strong serve for my current competitive level (sub 3.5). So, most of my opponents hit very weak, pushy, slicey, blocky returns off it. So, what I do is look to come into the net a lot. When I have energy and am into a match I blow people out with hard serves and heavy, skidding approach shots. When not, then I make lots of errors and lose embarrassingly badly. :)

Post some vids. We all, I think, love vids. :)

mxmx
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM

The most important thing after ANY serve, is to recover well....in other words, recover to a ready position, expecting the opponents return, be it short or deep. The better you recover after your serve, the better you will deal with whatever shot comes your way.

If a returner returns to your backhand which is arguably weaker, you could stand wider to receive the ball at a better angle or to force him to go to your forehand. If the returner keeps on drop shotting you, you should come to the net more after the serve. Even once or twice may be enough for him to stop doing it and think twice. A slower loopier serve, will give you more time to the net.

Something to keep in mind also, is that when one receives a drop shot, one should "generally" play a drop shot. This would mean, if you would play a drop shot, you can probably expect a drop shot. So on a very short weak serve that lands low, you can almost expect a drop shot. More height and depth, will result in it being harder for him to play a drop shot in the first place. Speed is not always the issue, depending on who you play. A slow serve, can often be a very effective serve on less advanced levels or in doubles.