PDA

View Full Version : Return of Serve Placement

TennisCoachIN
11-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Singles-

In regards to working with juniors.

For first serve, what would be ideal return placement based on a average flat serve?

For second serve, what would be ideal return placement based on a topspin serve?

Thanks in advance.

mikeler
11-27-2012, 12:13 PM
If you are pulled wide on either side, going cross court is a much higher percentage play unless you can pull off an excellent DTL winner or forced error. Otherwise, the next shot you will have to cover a lot of ground just to get into proper position for the next shot. Down the middle serves, your body weight will end up in the middle of the court anyways so you can really hit anywhere to the court that you want.

LuckyR
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
For Juniors, my guess is you are not going to have to worry about S&V and similarly you aren't going to have to worry about a lot of aces. If the guy has a serve you fear, you won't have to worry about placement, you'll have to "place" it over the net and in the court.

If true, then the first decision for the Junior (who is likely a baseline basher) is: do I start the rally or do I hit an aggressive shot? If the former, then placement becomes less important and just getting it deep will likely do the job. If he is going to punish the ball then I would think of what he would normally do from that part of the court on a weak shot.

One tactic that likely will work better in Juniors than elsewhere would be to go deep right at the server and see if he can get out of his own way. Lots of Juniors have serious footspeed, but not the presence of mind to get out of the way of the ball.

LeeD
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
As said, CC if you get a good look.
But to the backhand side if you can.

Headshotterer
11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
CC is good. the more to the corner the better.

boramiNYC
11-27-2012, 02:21 PM
another vote for CC as the basis. then dtl as variation to keep things honest.

julian
11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Singles-

For first serve, what would be ideal return placement based on a average flat serve?

For second serve, what would be ideal return placement based on a topspin serve?

Thanks in advance.
Post #3 is a good introduction
The next stage is:
what do you do when you play a match against an UNKNOWN opponent
Seeing some patterns of the opponent game does help

LeeD
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Unknown opponent....
Well, you did warm up hit with him for a few minutes. If he pummels a forehand, while just returning all his 2hbh's, better to go there when you're forced, and only to his forehand when you get time to take a real cut at the ball.
If he's a western gripper, maybe heavy slice your returns to his forehand to see if he can handle, or get neutralized by your slice.
if he's a conti gripper, so few nowadaze, maybe bounce it high to that side.

julian
11-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Singles-

Thanks in advance.
Definition of junior or an NTRP level would help a bit
Under 12 a color of a ball would help to answer your quite general question

TennisCoachIN
11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Definition of junior or an NTRP level would help a bit
Under 12 a color of a ball would help to answer your quite general question

Middle school age 11-14yrs.

Appreciate the responses so far.

When would it be best to return deep to the middle?

LeeD
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
In a baseline play junior game, does deep up the middle really neutralize the serve advantage?
That starts the point in the server's advantage to run your boy wide side to side.
Better to pin him in his own backhand corner, deep.

TennisCoachIN
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
In a baseline play junior game, does deep up the middle really neutralize the serve advantage?
That starts the point in the server's advantage to run your boy wide side to side.
Better to pin him in his own backhand corner, deep.

Very good point.

julian
11-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Doubles mainly

julian
11-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Green dots or regular balls?
May I ask-are in US?

TennisCoachIN
11-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Green dots or regular balls?
May I ask-are in US?

US regular ball.

mikeler
11-28-2012, 05:42 AM

The return at the feet of the opponent can be very effective especially when returned pretty hard.

TennisCoachIN
11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
The return at the feet of the opponent can be very effective especially when returned pretty hard.

I like this one... We practice this alot. I believe it takes valuable time away from the opponent.

axel89
11-28-2012, 07:00 AM
i usually hit a return straight back to my opponent deep that usually works weak second serves i go for it like a murray return

fuzz nation
11-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Agree with LuckyR, etc. in terms of a deep return being the number one priority as soon as the wee sluggers can actually return the ball. Even if that return is right back to the server without a lot of zip on it, it's usually somewhat neutralizing when it's placed with depth. The server usually needs to back off just to hit that ball, especially if he or she serves with some forward momentum.

I like to work on volleys and serve returns in the same lesson so that some of my kids can connect with that more compact move on the ball. Once that light goes on, they can return with a lot more consistency when I crack serves to them at pretty high speeds.

I also like to remind the high school kids I coach to plan their returns. Instead of juggling every option while the ball is coming their way, they can be more settled if they already know what they want to do with that first shot. It can help with consistency, but also help them to be less passive when the other guy is serving.

Fuji
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Usually on first serves I'm just trying to get them back cleanly, mostly CC for higher margins.

On second serves normally I can tee off on them a few times and go DTL/CC mix depending on whether it's a slice or Topspin serve. TS I usually attempt DTL, Slice is almost always CC.

-Fuji

TennisCoachIN
11-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.