PDA

View Full Version : Think this can help in tennis?

11-30-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TwEJ7e_pm7o&noredirect=1#!

LeeD
11-30-2012, 11:51 AM
It sure would have helped MY game greatly.
OTOH, it can only be applied when you have consistent incoming ball speeds with consistent bounces, something I've never seen in a real match.
POSTURE is extremely important, but the legs need to do the work to get your torso into position. Somehow, the opponent is constantly trying to overcome your leg's ability to get into position.
The reason we reach out, stiffen up, jump, and lean back is we didn't recognize the bounce of the ball while it's incoming from the other side of the net. All the perfect "neutral spine"/posture will never teach recognition of the tennis ball speed, spin, and bounce.
It will help, it won't help much, but overall, anything in the positive direction is better than eating a roast beef and colby jack sand on sourdough.

11-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Imo it's like a lot of other things.
If you can work it into drills and exercises, then it can find it's way into your
normal range of play. In this case, working for good spine alignment is also
a way of training to work for an on balance, stable hitting position, which is
key to good accuracy.

LeeD
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
For sure, good posture is better than inconsistent bad posture.
One of the traits that separate good from bad players is the good players always hit with good posture, seem to get to balls and recognize speed, spin, and bounce, and hit IN balance.
Traits of me is to get there late, have the ball jump up or slide low, then jerk, jump, or chop to compensate, causing a perfectly unbalanced shot.

sureshs
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Lifestyle is a big issue. Proper posture and modern lifestyle do not mesh.

r2473
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Lifestyle is a big issue. Proper posture and modern lifestyle do not mesh.

I long for the proper posture days of our forefathers.

I remember great grandpappy RR2473 had the posture of a model.

LeeD
11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Seriously....
Most girls I know have great posture. They are usually Yoga addicts, of course.
I slouch, reach and lean, poor posture.
I can beat any girl in tennis one full level above me. They have less back and leg problems than I do.
Life, as I know it.

boramiNYC
11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
so as to increase awareness of posture, yes it could eventually help tennis but placing a pipe against spine does basically nothing in correcting posture. in fact it could as well have negative effect.

posture is an extremely complex subject. one basic nature of it is the relaxed state posture and doing something posture are very different. but the relaxed state posture has huge implication for the dynamic posture. the pipe thing applies more to the relaxing posture but still not for everyone. dynamic posture cannot be approached by appearance or externally. I don't think the method that helpful for posture.

11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
so as to increase awareness of posture, yes it could eventually help tennis but placing a pipe against spine does basically nothing in correcting posture. in fact it could as well have negative effect.

posture is an extremely complex subject. one basic nature of it is the relaxed state posture and doing something posture are very different. but the relaxed state posture has huge implication for the dynamic posture. the pipe thing applies more to the relaxing posture but still not for everyone. dynamic posture cannot be approached by appearance or externally. I don't think the method that helpful for posture.

Very narrow view of the vid imo above.
The main point of the vid was to discuss the range of a neutral spine, I can see
how you got there without the article that goes with it. One of the quotes,
"Neutral spine isn’t necessarily a singular, static position that your spine never,
ever, ever moves from. Neutral spine is a range."
Also I didn't suggest that anyone needed to be in the position with every swing of
the stick, but asked could it be helpful in training & exercises.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/the-myth-of-neutral-spine/

boramiNYC
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
definitely better than not doing anything for training and exercise. that's the truth, so it must be helpful. why don't you try for yourself? just saying there are better ways to approach the spinal posture IMO.

11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
definitely better than not doing anything for training and exercise. that's the truth, so it must be helpful. why don't you try for yourself? just saying there are better ways to approach the spinal posture IMO.

I should have included the ref to the article from the start, so thanks for
pointing it out :)

Actually I have been working with things like this since I discovered how important
balance is to control. I liked that piece since it answered some questions
about neutral spine range.

boramiNYC
11-30-2012, 08:46 PM
when exerting force the spinal curvature should becomes more pronounced and the head along with all limbs shifts more forward of the torso. same thing should happen for the athletic stance. in such posture, most likely the head won't touch the pipe. animals lower their head in ready to attack posture. for human it's the forward shift of the head.