PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe talks racquet, string etc...

DNShade
12-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Posted this video in the Former Pro section a few days agol - but thought this would be interesting for the gear sections as well. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEtlb7aWKQ

ART ART
12-03-2012, 04:56 AM
372grams strung? ... nice :)

Cup8489
12-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Interesting that he's stuck with the same weight for so long,, but i guess when you're used to it...

hisrob777
12-03-2012, 05:25 AM
That's a heavy stick. Wow

akind
12-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Heavy stick won't give you trouble on groundstrokes if you have a short, non loopy take back and continental grip and hit flatter shots a-la McEnroe. It's all in the timing.

TennisCJC
12-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Heavy stick also blocks the ball much better. McEnroe kind of blocks his volleys and serve returns.

realplayer
12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Does anyone know the balancepoint of his racket?

akind
12-04-2012, 04:07 AM

If I remember correctly, the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe racquet balance is even balance.

Another website (not sure if I am allowed to type it in here) mentioned it is 34 cm, which is not far from even balance.

robbo1970
12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
He mentions he likes a bit of weight to the head and I recall him leading up the hoop on his wooden Maxply's, so I would guess even or slightly HH. Quite different to the stock version of the Bio Max 200G.

morten
12-04-2012, 04:12 AM
i have read 32.5 cm..

Borrelli
12-04-2012, 07:01 AM
He mentions he likes a bit of weight to the head and I recall him leading up the hoop on his wooden Maxply's, so I would guess even or slightly HH. Quite different to the stock version of the Bio Max 200G.

That, and the wood looking maxply Mcenroe that he was using seem to be way lighter specs..

robbo1970
12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
That, and the wood looking maxply Mcenroe that he was using seem to be way lighter specs..

Yes, good examples of retail replicas for mere mortals.

LeeD
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
And KimikoDateDrumm is reputed to use the heaviest racket on the women's tour, her strokes short and compact.

TennisCJC
12-08-2012, 05:48 AM
McEnroe mentions Tony Palifax as his childhood coach. Tony is in his 70s or more and is coaching at the Carl Sanders YMCA in Buckhead an area of Atlanta. I have a friend who takes lessons from him but I have not met him.

Geoff
12-08-2012, 06:40 AM
McEnroe mentions Tony Palifax as his childhood coach. Tony is in his 70s or more and is coaching at the Carl Sanders YMCA in Buckhead an area of Atlanta. I have a friend who takes lessons from him but I have not met him.

When I lived in Atlanta I worked with Tony on my game. When Tony was at Port Washington he started the famed Port Washington Academy. His stable of players included McEnroe, Gerulaitis, Peter Fleming, Paul Annacone to name a few. He is amazing and still hits the ball incredibly well. He breaks the game down very simply in every aspect. I highly recommend anyone in the area connecting with Tony, you will not be disappointed. The stories alone are more than worth it!

niktub
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM

between 31,5 and 31,7cm

The Bawss
12-09-2012, 02:03 AM
You pussies. 372 isn't that bad. My racket weights a legit 364g and yea it's heavy but it's still no problem swinging it. You guys have just been babolat-blinded and think 300g wide beams is what a tennis racket is supposed to be.

Lavs
12-09-2012, 03:18 AM
You guys have just been babolat-blinded and think 300g wide beams is what a tennis racket is supposed to be.
So true nowadays...

Mick3391
12-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Posted this video in the Former Pro section a few days agol - but thought this would be interesting for the gear sections as well. Enjoy.

Cool video, did I miss what size head he uses? Hard to tell from the video, maybe I missed it.

DNShade
12-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Cool video, did I miss what size head he uses? Hard to tell from the video, maybe I missed it.

He doesn't say on the video -- but it's the same 300 mold that he has been using since he came back to Dunlop. 98 sq inches.

Mick3391
12-16-2012, 12:36 PM
He doesn't say on the video -- but it's the same 300 mold that he has been using since he came back to Dunlop. 98 sq inches.

It's so strange, I'm pretty good but no pro. I played Justin Bower and wouldn't have a chance to beat him, yet I prefer 90" head, sometimes my 95.
I'm starting to think I should follow the crowd and get a larger head, I mean Sampras is using what a 100, Mac 98, all the pro's except like three guys over 90, yet I just like it.

Anyone think 90 inch heads have gone the way of the Do-Do?

I don't have any problems with the 90 except in high intensity play occasionally, but ironically I can always find the SS in the 90, but when I go bigger, unless it's a spin shot, I have to "Look" for the SS, weird, I guess to each his own.

DNShade
12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
It's so strange, I'm pretty good but no pro. I played Justin Bower and wouldn't have a chance to beat him, yet I prefer 90" head, sometimes my 95.
I'm starting to think I should follow the crowd and get a larger head, I mean Sampras is using what a 100, Mac 98, all the pro's except like three guys over 90, yet I just like it.

I don't have any problems with the 90 except in high intensity play occasionally, but ironically I can always find the SS in the 90, but when I go bigger, unless it's a spin shot, I have to "Look" for the SS, weird, I guess to each his own.

It's all about what works best for you. But yes -- the majority - even on the senior tour- lean to a bit larger heads. 95 -100 sq inches.

Mac has been with 98 sq inches since mid 1990's when went to Volkl with his C10 and various PJs on it.

slice bh compliment
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Antonio/Tony Palafox is the one from Long Island.

Palifax sounds like he's from Nova Scotia.

Virtua Tennis
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
McEnroe should just quit talking about equipment on tv and just stick to talking about tennis. If anything they should bring in the stringers to talk about equipment.

JDMasFCK
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
McEnroe should just quit talking about equipment on tv and just stick to talking about tennis. If anything they should bring in the stringers to talk about equipment.

agreed

10chars

the hack
01-05-2013, 06:46 AM

I have demo'd lots of racquets but the PS 90 6.1 has the most feel and control for me. I am amazed how other people can control their shots with big, powerful racquets. I will stay with my Wilson as long as I can (57 now).

Harry_Wild
01-06-2013, 01:49 AM
He use to play with a Dunlop Max 200 or was it a 200 Max? That was a heavy club! Same racket that Steffi Graf use too!

heninfan99
01-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Great clip! Thanks for posting.

Really makes sense why he used such a short swing. I like the semi-western and it seems fine for low balls but it must be great to use one grip for everything. Simplifies things.

slice bh compliment
01-06-2013, 04:14 AM
He use to play with a Dunlop Max 200 or was it a 200 Max? That was a heavy club! Same racket that Steffi Graf use too!

You got it: Mac and Graf. And don't forget Gianluca Pozzi.
They won a few matches with the legendary Max 200g.

In the early/mid 80s, it was not considered a heavy club. In some ways, it was considered an early wide-body with a hollow construction, thanks to the Injection Moulding process.

Well, in any case, it's one of the finest frames ever. I had about 30 of them between '83 and '93, and I still occasionally hit with the last of 'em.

DNShade
01-06-2013, 04:37 AM

And don't forget Martina -- she switched to a blacked out 200G for a while in 87 and 88 (while still under contract with Yonex - and even used a Yonex stencil on the strings of the obvious Dunlop if I remember correctly!) winning a couple majors with it!

Guess she figured it was working well for Steffi so give it a try!

Such a great stick.

DownTheLineWith90
01-06-2013, 04:47 AM
372 is not that bad at all..

slice bh compliment
01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
And don't forget Martina -- she switched to a blacked out 200G for a while in 87 and 88 (while still under contract with Yonex - and even used a Yonex stencil on the strings of the obvious Dunlop if I remember correctly!) winning a couple majors with it!

Guess she figured it was working well for Steffi so give it a try!

Such a great stick.

Yes, I remember the YY on Navratilova's discreet Max 200G, and for a short time, Mac had a Snauwaert stencil on his!

Such a great stick, truly.

okaythen
01-08-2013, 06:37 AM
hi guys I use prince syn gut and after playing with it for awhile the mains and cross will have a notch click thing. I will move it down or up a little bit to get away from the notch so maybe string will last longer. My question is will it affect the ball hitting since it's not exactly at the right spot. I just got my racquet strung I am thinking about move the cross up a little, then later when the notch develops I will move it down some. bad idea or it's ok?

max
01-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Notches = time for restringing.

paoloraz
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM

In the early/mid 80s, it was not considered a heavy club. In some ways, it was considered an early wide-body with a hollow construction, thanks to the Injection Moulding process.

Well, in any case, it's one of the finest frames ever. I had about 30 of them between '83 and '93, and I still occasionally hit with the last of 'em.

Almost all the pros from Italy at the time used at some point of their career the 200g, including Paolo Canč, Omar Camporese, Diego Nargiso and Andrea Gaudenzi (as a junior).

Camporese was the last pro using the 200g in the circuit...I remember him destroying Carlos Moya in the first round of the 1997 DC with his purple green max 200g pro (already discontinued at that time)...I have never seen another player hitting an heaveir ball on the forehand side...he almost created holes in the surface with his giant flat forehand!! :-)
mac used it until 1996-97 in exibitions and senior events...

jankustra
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
376 grams :) I am pround to use volkl PB10mid 395grams 12hl... its beautifull, try it!!!