View Full Version : Nice wall drills video

Avles
12-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Video demonstrating a lot of ideas for wall practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNiXrgAtjxc

charliefedererer
12-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks for posting.

Many mistakenly think the wall is just for beginners.

But as the video shows, the wall can be used to practice every shot without wasting a hitting partners time on things we can practice on our own - like a forehand slice, half volleys, swing volleys, reaction volleys, even overheads.

Especially nice was to see the emphasis on improving footwork. Playing the wall is like playing someone at the net, so there is a need to recover almost instantly into a split step if you are not hitting from too far back.

All too often, hitting sessions become exercises in players hitting balls back and forth without being put under pressure. At the wall you can practice putting yourself under pressure, just like in a match, but without the consequence of losing points.
You just have to take another ball out of your pocket until you run out and have to go pick up all the balls.

frenzy
12-05-2012, 03:23 AM
When you do exercises like the one on the video, do you use normal tennis balls or soft to medium-soft balls? Especially in the beginning, I think it's useful to use soft balls to get used to the speed at which the balls are coming back. Does it make sense?

Bobby Jr
12-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Thanks for posting.

Many mistakenly think the wall is just for beginners.
Oh hell no. The wall is amazing for volleying practice (hardening up that forearm :p) and also for overheads and finding a serve groove. Because so little time is wasted picking up balls etc practising shots like these against a wall can be fantastically productive.

I use the wall often to practice quick hands/reaction volleys at the net. Just stand 6-ish metres back from the wall and thump the ball at it and then try to hit the volley. Wall are great for overhead practice, backhand overheads too.

The wall isn't perfect but it's got its uses.

Amusingly, I had to wait for the one and only David Ferrer to finish with the wall at a club I was playing at a couple of years ago - he was playing short tennis against it as part of his warm-up (the club was being used pre Aussie Open as a practice venue). I had a good laugh about it at the time.

Avles
12-05-2012, 05:06 AM
I liked the way the guy in the video used multiple balls to work on things like attacking short balls. Removing the need to "keep a rally going" with the wall can allow more leeway in the kinds of shots you practice and the kinds of feeds you get.

Also liked the slice and half-volley practice-- I've been working on those with the wall and it's definitely helped. Still don't have the accuracy for that overhead drill though.

watungga
12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I found my own walling style to maintain my muscle memories and fitness.

I have 2 racquets, one is covered with bond paper taped all over stringbed on one side only. My strokes will have wind drag. (Its good to have one at home, shadowing strokes) Then, I hit the ball using the non-paper stringbed onto the wall - in full stroke motion. The ball speed is reduced and I could go nearer the wall, and still doing the full stroke (like shadowing I did at home). Is that wonderful?

You will developed forearm power and wrist stability.

Now, after 10 mins of doing the paper based walling routines. Use the regular racquet and post your comments herein.

Don't forget to go back to paper-based... as the regular racquet wouldn't do any better to your stroke maintenance.

3fees
12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice vid. Did not see the overhead drill though.

:mrgreen:

gmatheis
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
That guy is probably a 3.0 at best!

luishcorreia
12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
That guy is probably a 3.0 at best!

No way... He is 4.0 minimum

ramos77
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
damn he makes it look easy

I would be spraying balls well over that wall!

Avles
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Nice vid. Did not see the overhead drill though.

If you click on "show more" in the video description it lists the points in the video with each drill... overheads start at 4:03...

skuludo
12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
That is Simon Konov. Anyone know who he is?
David Lloyd Leisure club lists his job position as a senior performance coach, but I haven't found any information about him as a player.

beernutz
12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
What a pusher. He just hits the ball back and never goes for a winner.

beernutz
12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
That is Simon Konov. Anyone know who he is?
David Lloyd Leisure club lists his job position as a senior performance coach, but I haven't found any information about him as a player.
http://www.tennisexplorer.com/player/konov/

donnygg
12-06-2012, 12:05 AM
The guy apparently has a few wins in futures qualifying. Funny how this comment below the video was telling the guy that he has bad footwork and needs to improve on that.

beernutz
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
The guy apparently has a few wins in futures qualifying. Funny how this comment below the video was telling the guy that he has bad footwork and needs to improve on that.

I thought he had great footwork and watched his video twice trying to pick up some pointers. The person making the comment was probably a solid 3.5 so Konov would be a fool not to listen.

Avles
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I thought he had great footwork and watched his video twice trying to pick up some pointers. The person making the comment was probably a solid 3.5 so Konov would be a fool not to listen.

The comments on youtube tennis videos are a trip... Bud-Polansky-level criticism is almost routine...

WildVolley
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
3.5 at best!

This is the best player in a video I've seen with hitting against a wall, excepting the famous one in which Spadea is hitting against a wall at what appears to be a school playground.

Lot of good drills to work on in this video.

sundaypunch
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
That is great. Probably the best wall video I have seen.

TennisCJC
12-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Good wall work.

The only thing I would think about doing differently is the overhead drill. When you continue to drive overheads down into the ground to make it bounce up again, aren't you just practicing hitting your overheads into the net? I think it is better to hit out and try to make your overhead hit the wall just above the net line - basically, practice hitting an overhead that goes over the net. Granted, my way is feed and one practice shot but I think it is important to learn to hit up/out/thru on the overhead instead of down.

tonygao
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
as someone who filmed oneself a lot in practice and in matches, I must say this guy is clearly above 4.0, his movement, nice control of body and fluid strokes. But to determine his real level, a video of match play will be needed.

Avles
12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
He's playing futures qualies so I think 5.5 at least is a safe bet.

Quite a few good videos on Simon's youtube site- lots of pro practice videos. I really enjoyed this court-level (literally) video of Nadal and Bellucci:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvJjrlnqFs

mike84
12-10-2012, 07:44 AM
another great video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXV2M8tCR0U

but what is this just rope over net?