PDA

View Full Version : Hopeless passing shots recoverable!

watungga
12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
For me it looks like its doable when saving a 'sucker' passing shots like herein videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMEN0-HyYk#t=13m35s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMEN0-HyYk#t=10m34s

In what I have seen, I can outrun those passing shots if I have the mentality of 'never say die' and a quick reaction to outrun it. Look at the speed of the ball. If it bounces, half of its speed is gone and ball is still travelling up, and to the peak, and it descends after that.

We know its hopeless coz, we let them passed. We let the ball say goodbye. But if we face our head to the same path as the balls direction, and do an UsainBolt run with eyes focused on the ball but our face straight to the balls path. If we turn our head facing on the travelling ball we will loose the race.

POssible?

One more thing, this technique needs a strong forearm and a wrist power to put the ball back like a half volley. Or a slice upward motion.

boramiNYC
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
if it's certain that the ball will come back with even more difficulty, would you still put that much effort? what if this happened three times already? unless the opponent is way off the court for that pass it might be more hopeful to save energy and injury for the next point or set? but playing a guy with unbelievable defence can take the edge off the attack sometimes, so give it a try at least but don't hurt yourself.

watungga
12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
In matches, this add up to your merit of bringing out a good defense. Opponents will add more spices to his arsenal, creating more mistakes in the later part. This is true to a club level where most players carries mice on their necks.

LeeD
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Roger can, you can't.
You cannot run down any passing shot hit by your peers.

axel89
12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Roger can, you can't.
You cannot run down any passing shot hit by your peers.

neither can federer leed

LeeD
12-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Such is true, but Wat's can always dream and wish.

3fees
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
In a game where every point is important, go after every one of them and make the effort..

:mrgreen:

LeeD
12-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Not embracing that philosophy.....
Lots of very good players don't try all out for EVERY shot, as it's a lost cause in the long run. Sure, the opponent CAN miss that putaway, while you're sitting in the 4th row bleacher's after your huff and puff, but what does that do for your NEXT few points, you winded and just put all out effort for ONE point?
I know a 7.0 woman who never really ran for her opponent's best shots, and she WON the CanadianOpen around '78 or so. Not saying it's the model of play we all should embrace, but you gotta consider the TOLL it takes on your body.
As an old, out of shape, injured fart, I tend to let my opponen'ts winners go for .....winners. I just try to make my next few shots a little better, so they don't have the chance to hit their best shots all the time.

watungga
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
What I meant in thread, is a passing shot which I think will bounce 2 to 3 yards behind me. And in tournament scene, there's always a rest break on changeovers.

LeeD
12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
While we might be able to chase a soft low, underspinning slice ball that goes past us, in general, cut the ball off and anything that get's behind you.....let it go.
Not talking about lobs, of course.
You cannot catch my fast slice passing shots. Certainly not anyone's topspin passing shots.

Relinquis
12-30-2012, 08:23 AM
The 2nd one seems a bit like digging a shot from the back of the court in squash that some squash pros do. Very difficult to do, especially considering that he doesn't have a bounce from the back/side wall to help with the angle.

The squash version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MPZcgjLyeo

Pretty cool.

slowfox
12-30-2012, 01:38 PM
While running it down was impressive, I think it's more impressive that he hit them back for winners.