PDA

View Full Version : Racquet turning in hand on serve

mbm0912
12-07-2012, 07:19 AM
I've always had issues with my racquet turning in my hand, causing a mishit on serves and sometimes forehands. I'm using continental grip. Am I not holding tight enough? I thought you want a fairly "loose" grip on a serve......Thanks!

esgee48
12-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Squeeze the grip just before contact. Or use a tacky overgrip. Or use a larger grip size.

taurussable
12-07-2012, 07:58 AM
i always wonder is firming up on contact in forehand/serve a myth?

Dragan
12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
When was the last time you changed your overgrip? :-D

I'm serious, you may want to try different type of overgrip - put Wilson Pro Overgrip or similar slightly tacky overgrip.

mbm0912
12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
When was the last time you changed your overgrip? :-D

I'm serious, you may want to try different type of overgrip - put Wilson Pro Overgrip or similar slightly tacky overgrip.

I change them often. I use Prince Duratac. I'll check on the one you recommended. Thank you!

mbm0912
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Squeeze the grip just before contact. Or use a tacky overgrip. Or use a larger grip size.

Thanks for the response! As far as grip size, I thought the same, maybe add some additional overgrip. I'm using the index finger rule to determine my grip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X915ufF5Iw

boramiNYC
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
i always wonder is firming up on contact in forehand/serve a myth?

too simplistic instruction than a myth. the fingers don't have the same pressure throughout the swing. same thing with serve. at the moment of contact the pressure on the index knuckle on palm is instantaneously very high and that pressure is directly transmitted to the racquet control. different than firming up the whole grip but the pressure point changes greatly inside the palm.

tennis_ocd
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Eye on ball. When it turns in mind I figure I must've hit off centerline. Frustrating. I wouldn't think you'd want to tighten your squeeze as you make contact.... isn't it all about looseness???

psv255
12-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Eye on ball. When it turns in mind I figure I must've hit off centerline. Frustrating. I wouldn't think you'd want to tighten your squeeze as you make contact.... isn't it all about looseness???

Looseness is definitely vital to a complete kinetic chain, but a slight increase in grip tightness is analogous to "cracking the whip"; the intent is to control all the energy you have built up through the kinetic chain by directing the racquet up and over your hand; if you don't tighten up a bit, the racquet may simply fly out of your hand.

3fees
12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
You use the top two fingers and thumb for grip with the handle laying in your hand(as a backstop),Pancho Gonsales
used a hammer grip..

Video on his serve, one of the best servers of all time.

http://www.essentialtennisinstruction.com/the-great-pancho-gonzalez/

:)

martini1
12-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I used to have the same prob. And I started a similar thread here back then.

On serve, if you end up with a different grip from the one you started, is because of your TOSS.

The ball is at the wrong spot, most likely to far in and jam you up. You tried so hard to over correct your racket face to meet the ball you end up opening up your palm and let the grip slipped. Of course there is no power on a slipping grip so you mishit. And on top of that you were too eager to hit it thru you probably over-swinging at a speed a ted too fast to control.

Of course, there are also many other factors like you opening up your body too soon, arming it to much, weight not transferring right, yada yada.

Grip pressure is probably one of the lesser factor here.

Best is to get a lesson or two to work on your TOSS before anything else. Works better if you have a second set of eyes to locate your best hitting point for 1st and 2nd serves.

LeeD
12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
More likely, you are new to a conti grip serve, so unconscously switch back to a different grip as you swing the racket. Practice more.
But as said, use a new tacky grip, increase grip size, don't mishit sooooo much.

LeeD
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh, tightening the grip just before impact is a good thing, and will help your serves go in faster AND give you control.
Why you ask? Tighening the grip just before impact can slow down your hand, which allows the rackethead to catch up and past your hand as you hit the ball, creating an acceleration or whipping effect. If you don't do this, your rackethead speed is less.
If you DO do it, you end up with a high hand, high elbow finish after you hit the ball, with your racket pointing straight down at the ground, you elbow and hand still around your head level. That is an ATP form in serves.

mbm0912
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
More likely, you are new to a conti grip serve, so unconscously switch back to a different grip as you swing the racket. Practice more.
But as said, use a new tacky grip, increase grip size, don't mishit sooooo much.

Thanks. How important is it that your finger fits the gap perfectly, as shown in that video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X915ufF5Iw

I feel like I could go bigger...

LeeD
12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
It's just a guideline, one that Federer's "3/8" grip seems to give Federer, which I can't justify or understand.
Those are just suggestions for cures. The real cure is practice. Hit your 5,000 serves thru 3 years, and you won't switch grip in the middle of your serves. I think lots of players have this problem for the first full year of a grip change to conti from some variation of forehand. It's natural.

mbm0912
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
It's just a guideline, one that Federer's "3/8" grip seems to give Federer, which I can't justify or understand.
Those are just suggestions for cures. The real cure is practice. Hit your 5,000 serves thru 3 years, and you won't switch grip in the middle of your serves. I think lots of players have this problem for the first full year of a grip change to conti from some variation of forehand. It's natural.

makes sense, thank you.

sureshs
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
If you hit 5000 serves with incorrect form, you will only become worse, not better.

Bagumbawalla
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
If you strike the ball "dead center" with your racket, it is very unlikely that it will twist in your hand- no matter what over-grip you use or don't use. Sometimes when we practice we hold the racket loosely with just 3 fingers-- without slipping.

Have someone knowledgable watch your serve and see what is going on- and what improvements you can make- then keep practicing and adjusting until you can meet the ball corectly every time.

martini1
12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
If you hit 5000 serves with incorrect form, you will only become worse, not better.

^^That's what I tell people all the time!