PDA

View Full Version : Passing shot strategies

martini1
12-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I find passing shot is not my first choice when I see the guy is stand kind of in the middle (between the two service boxes). I don't know, may be it is like the goalkeeper thing - standing in the middle make it seems like he is covering a lot of ground. I would either lob or punch the ball right into his chest if he is not a great volleyer.

My usual strategy (please correct me if this concept is wrong) -
bring the guy to the net on one side, usually dtl to me, then pass cc. It is harder to bring a guy up when he is cc, but the dtl passing is easier.

What is the better way to bring a guy to the net? and at when relative position to you? cc or dtl? And do you pass when you are face to face dtl right in the middle?

VeeSe
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
You should always prefer him to be cross court from you when he's at the net so that you can pass down the line.

If you reverse this situation, the correct thing to do most of the time when you are going to hit an approach shot and come in is to hit it down the line and then also go in and stand towards that side of the net. This creates the hardest passing shot situation for the opponent. The down the line passing shot is harder to hit because the opponent is closer to that side, but the cross court option is the harder passing shot to hit because the down the line shot has not opened up the angle as much as possible.

edit: forgot to mention that anytime your opponent comes in but does not position him/herself closer to the side of his/her approach shot, it is suboptimal coverage of the net. It is actually not ideal to hit an approach shot and stand right in between the service boxes unless the approach shot is in the middle of the court.

martini1
12-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes I see guys come up in the middle either because they hit an approach near the middle or I hit a drop shot / low bouncer, they hit the ball back and tried to stand in the middle to cover my pass angles.

I don't know if I should run out wide to hit an I/I pass (or dtl) or not. Is there a way to draw the guy off one side effectively?

LeeD
12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, favor the OTHER side. Approaching player sees you left a wide open court, and usually hits it there.