PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Videos

crazygamer2091
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
The links below are two videos of me hitting. One is from October and the other is two days ago. Please critique my strokes and movement. Stating any differences between the first and second video would be helpful as well. Thanks and sorry for the poor video quality in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjM0Lr200ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TvWBIafRI

NLBwell
12-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Work on a smooth backswing/forward swing on your forehand. You have a wrist-flip in there that works OK if you are not pressured, but breaks down if you are pressured at all. Simplify.
It appears you net-game is very poor, but there were only a couple of examples, so maybe it isn't a fair comment.

LeeD
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Interesting you'd choose a weak E forehand grip in this day and age. It could be normal E, of course.
You DO turn your shoulder's well, nicely on the backhand.
And your first forehand shows you have a defensive slice on higher balls, so that should cover itself.
How effective IS your forehand? Are most balls staying IN?
I have two lefty friends, one a former No1NorCal and the other a semifinalists in almost every 65 age group tournament that he plays in, using that exact grip and style. They both tend to hit softer than most, use redirection and low angles, and guide the ball rather than hit the ball.
Both are at the top of the 4.0 heap.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
I actually use a semi-western forehand. I tend to use eastern only when I want to inject some serious pace on the ball or go for a flat winner. Most of my balls do stay in. The video does not show it but I actually hit pretty hard and heavy. Recently though, I've been running my opponents around the court more rather than trying to end the point earlier with a winner to work on consistency and patience. Without point play, what level would you rate me at just by watching my strokes and footwork?

LeeD
12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm sure there are degrees of SW and E grips. Yours looks more E than Federer's, who's grip is a strong E or weak SW.
Your hand barely leads your racket on swings. You hold very pistol, the racket an extension of your hand/forearm. Your wrist doesn't lay back, but you DO pat the dog at the end of your takeback.
I'd say your forehand grip is closer to McEnroes, but definetely more towards SW than his. It's almost exactly identical to my two bud's grips, both lefties, both highest 4.0, both would get crushed in true 4.5 because they win with placement, and not with strong 5.5 level winning shots.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Just watched the most recent video again and yes, I agree. The video quality does make it seem as if I use Eastern. I usually use semi-western with a mix of Eastern. The only time I use Western is when I'm in a defensive position or am back pedaling so I don't hit the ball above shoulder height. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "you hand barely leads your racket on swings. You hold a very pistol, the racket an extension of your hand/forearm. Your wrist doesn't lay back, but you DO pat the dog at the end of your takeback." I don't exactly follow what you mean.

LeeD
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Your grip looks very similar to a guy who posts here named "Vil". He might hit a notch more consistent and strong than you, but he uses a weak SW or strong E grip.
There is little angle between your forearm and your racket, ever. Nobody accused you of using a W grip at all. A weak SW might be the strongest grip you use. You take the ball well out to the SIDE of your body, a little out in front, a trait of E grips. A true W grip takes the ball more in front of the body than to the side, and there is a huge angle between forearm and racket.
McEnroe hit with a weak E grip, and few player's can hold their own against him from the baseline.
I doubt your "pat the dog" flick is any problem for you, as it insures you close the racketface on your foreward swing. Especially since you also employ a slice forehand, another trait of a grip weaker than true SW.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Interesting LeeD. I'll definitely look into it. I'm actually trying to hit with a straight arm but apparently I'm not there yet. Any comments on backhand and footwork? Anything that stands out there that I should really work on?

LeeD
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
You seem to hit 1hbh topspin, 1hbh slice, and 2hbh topspin currently. They all look good.
Your forehand grip is YOUR choice to choose. I only noted it's a strong E or weak SW, given your prep position, ready and both hands on the racket, has the racket perpendicular to the ground, while my strong SW grip has the racket parallel to the ground, or the face pointing almost straight down at the ground.
Looks like you might suffer height control problems, and some shots are hit high, while other's much lower, and your partner can't return very many with conistency either.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 12:36 PM
What's the difference between 1hbh topspin and 2hbh topspin? I know what you mean on forehand. As for height control issues, I try not to hit the same shot twice to give anyone a rhythm... is that a good strategy or no?

LeeD
12-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Looks like you hit both one handed and two handed, on your backhand topspins. Which do you like better?
You are rallying and showing off your strokes for the video. Why are you trying to mix up your shots and make your partner run? I didn't see any serves, which means you guys are just hitting for the camera.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I only hit one handed backhands... haha as for the video, it was a last minutes idea. I got to the indoor courts and was hitting with my father and had the bright idea to get someone to film me a bit. I'll be sure to add in serves and hit with one of my teammates next time to make a complete video! On a side note, what do you feel is a more superior stroke. One handed or two handed backhand? I know that there are advantages to both but I myself would like to hear another opinion for a change.

LeeD
12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
It's up the the player.
2 is easier for younger weaker players, or old farts, to hit with topspin with a quick swing.
One takes less effort to prep, can be sliced, but takes more effort to consistently hit with topspin.
High balls with either can be hit with more grip change, while low balls with 2hbh are tough and require knee bend.
In the long run, it doesn't matter, as we are not pro player's going for the money.

crazygamer2091
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Very true. Thanks for the input LeeD. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.