PDA

View Full Version : Federer is using semiwestern fh

pnoytennis
12-09-2012, 06:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=revcnhT9kFM&feature=endscreen

so federer is now officially a semiwestern forehand player. i think it kind of explains why his forehand is less aggressive compared to previous years but his backhand is more consistent

TTMR
12-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah, pretty sure professional players don't change the fundamental way they hold the racquet after hundreds of thousands of technically excellent swings, in this case possibly the best groundstroke of all time.

Federer's always hit with a semi-western grip. Rec players who hit with eastern like to pretend Federer hits with an eastern too because Federer is their favourite player and they just have to play like him.

HEADfamilydynasty
12-09-2012, 07:22 AM
People often get this confused. Fed uses grip that is in between eastern and semi not one or the other. So while it may look like semi its not. Thats what i've heard and observed.:neutral:

boramiNYC
12-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Fed always used western not semiwestern..and he serves in E bh grip and volleys western as well but overhead is somehow conti, which I don't understand why. he is a mess of a player really losing to a brazilian kid! so many idiot rec players out there so watch out.

psv255
12-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Fed always used western not semiwestern..and he serves in E bh grip and volleys western as well but overhead is somehow conti, which I don't understand why.

+1 :twisted:

10westerngrips

WildVolley
12-09-2012, 08:16 AM

so federer is now officially a semiwestern forehand player. i think it kind of explains why his forehand is less aggressive compared to previous years but his backhand is more consistent

OK, I'm totally confused. Why are you saying Federer uses a semiwestern grip?

Jeepers
12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Federer uses a Wilson Pro grip

eidolonshinobi
12-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Federer uses a Wilson Pro grip

on top of a leather grip!

/END THREAD

VeeSe
12-09-2012, 09:47 AM

That's the same grip he's always been using... somewhere between eastern and semiwestern. Most refer to it as "Extreme Eastern", but you can call it whatever you want.

LeeD
12-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Strong E, or weak SW.

WildVolley
12-09-2012, 01:34 PM
It is very clear form video and photographic evidence that Federer doesn't use a traditional SW grip. Most people call it an extreme eastern grip, though he does change his grip slightly on different fhs. For instance, he often holds a fairly traditional eastern fh on his serve returns.

If you are talking about the picture that shows before you play the video, you need to recognize that the grip he is holding is after contact which messes things up, as the racket often rotates in Federer's hand at contact, especially if he catches the ball below (closer to the ground) the center of the frame.

bhupaes
12-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Can't tell what the grip was from the first still shot in the video, since the racquet has probably twisted in Fed's hand after he made the shot. You can see this in a lot of videos where he appears to be making contact with the ball below the center with a really loose grip. It is likely the grip was closer to eastern before contact.

TheCheese
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Lol. It twisted in his hand after contact, it happens a lot.

... I really don't think the guy with the greatest FH of all time is going to change his grip all of a sudden.