PDA

View Full Version : Footwork for Inside-Out Forehand (Closed Stance).

Raul_SJ
12-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Situation:

I am standing at the baseline in the Ad corner and receiving an opponent's crosscourt shot to my forehand side.

I am using a closed-stance forehand.

If I wish to hit an inside-out forehand crosscourt from my Ad corner back to the opponent's Ad corner, can it be done with my feet remaining perpendicular to the net? Or do I need to adjust my feet so it is more in line with the path of the incoming crosscourt shot?

Also, what is the foot adjustment in the same situation if one is using an open-stance forehand?

Roddick85
12-10-2012, 03:21 AM
To hit a proper inside-out forehand, what i've been thought (and use) is to be in a semi-open stance (feet about 45 degrees or so). You'll also need to hit the ball late if you want it to go inside out (to your opponents backhand for a right handed). If you hit too early, you'll go inside in (down the line).

86golf
12-10-2012, 06:19 AM
It could depend on whether you are trying to hit the inside of the ball or the outside of the ball. Most pros are going to be more open and hit the inside of the ball so it tails away. Bottom line, you can do it with any stance but you must match the swing type and path to your stance.

Raul_SJ
12-10-2012, 11:56 AM
It could depend on whether you are trying to hit the inside of the ball or the outside of the ball. Most pros are going to be more open and hit the inside of the ball so it tails away. Bottom line, you can do it with any stance but you must match the swing type and path to your stance.

Yes, I want to hit crosscourt FH from the Ad corner, so I think I have to hit the inside of the ball.

It seems easier to use a closed (or semi-open) stance and adjust feet to the line of the incoming ball, almost as if you are hitting the ball straight on.

That seems easier than using an open-stance, where you really have to hit the ball late and the timing is more difficult.

12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Situation:

I am standing at the baseline in the Ad corner and receiving an opponent's crosscourt shot to my forehand side.

If I wish to hit an inside-out forehand crosscourt from my Ad corner back to the opponent's Ad corner, can it be done with my feet remaining perpendicular to the net? Or do I need to adjust my feet so it is more in line with the path of the incoming crosscourt shot?

Also, what is the foot adjustment in the same situation if one is using an open-stance forehand?

That IS an open stance. If in the position you describe, hitting to the ad ct,
from the ad ct makes that stance open, since I define the stance based on
where your shot goes out of the stance.
What you describe is what most call neutral based on the net and imo, open
based on where your shot is going and is also how most tend to hit it with
some minor variations

LeeD
12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Stance don't matter.
You can hit the ball a little later.
You can turn your shoulder's more and don't uncoil.
You can slice the ball on your forehand side.
You can hit topspin, top/slice spin, side spin, or any combination of slice.

boramiNYC
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd contend the stance matter quite a bit. it's much more difficult to hit an IO fh in closed stance. it's best for the OP to learn and practice the IO fh in more open stance than the stance he uses for normal CC. for this shot topspin is more important than hitting through. if you wanna learn this shot, open the stance alot more than you're used to and contact pt out in front and big WW finish. good precise footwork is paramount on this shot.

LeeD
12-10-2012, 04:34 PM
See, you're ASSUMING *** u M....just kidding....he uses a modern SW or W grip. What if OP is using E grip, or conti grips?
OB obviously normally hits forhands with a closed or aligned stance. You want him to OPEN it to hit LATER?
I wouldn't. Close it more might be one answer for inside out E grip old style forehands.
yeah yeah, Fed hits open stance inside out.
But Fed can hit open stance anywhere he wants. Can OP?

12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd contend the stance matter quite a bit.

Of course it matters and everyone will have their preferred stance for a
particular shot. Good comment.

LeeD
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
OP hits with a closed stance, obviously that is the preference, since he already said he hits with a closed stance.
Are we going to teach him an openstance forehand just to hit inside out?
Heck, he can short low slice an inside out, turn is shoulders more, or CLOSE his stance to hit that shot.

boramiNYC
12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
back when one hit every fh in closed stance the IO fh was non existent. going around to the ad side turning body for the closed stance is nuts. but I'm sure there is at least one nut job out there doing this but I wouldn't advise it to anyone. just as closed stance could be useful for open stance player once in a while, for OP open stance for this shot at least wouldn't be a bad idea if he wants to hit IO fh.

LeeD
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I played in the days of Eastern and Continental forehands.
Lots of A level players used closed stance inside out forehands.
Some conti forehand guys used a combination of slice and sidespin to hit the shot.
A former No. 1 NorCal A womans hits that shot all the time, with a closed stance when she has time...she doesn't move her feet very well now, 20 years after her playing days.

boramiNYC
12-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I believe you but now almost everyone found out that open stance makes the IO fh more effective. don't know about conti fh but even E fh benefits from open stance for this shot.

12-11-2012, 06:25 AM
I believe you but now almost everyone found out that open stance makes the IO fh more effective. don't know about conti fh but even E fh benefits from open stance for this shot.

Yes, and probably about 50% of why the IO became so popular and effective is
that it took formerly closed/neutral stance hitters, and effectively opened their
stance when they went ad ct to ad ct with the Fh using a stance perpendicular
to the net.

LeeD
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Only I they have a modern swing and folowthru, they practice hitting openstanced, and they're WILLING to learn a new school forehand.
I know lots of old timer's who hit closed stance forehands, and do fine up to 4.5 levels, and for their age, a forehand is not going to raise their level.

12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I know lots of old timer's who hit closed stance forehands, and do fine up to 4.5 levels, and for their age, a forehand is not going to raise their level.

I don't know why improving the Fh would not help anyone's level and the
modern is easy to learn and execute.

Either way, if you are hitting traditional from ad ct to the ad court, then it's
not really a IO Fh anyway. That would just be a crosscourt shot hit with the
Fh, but thru lining up the shot in a traditional manner.

LeeD
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes, I agree your thinking is one sided and doesn't take into account the factors needed to make a fully informed decision, and then advice.
Why doesn't an old timer get better with a better forehand? Why indeed, and I'll enlighten you.
Oldtimer might have used that old forehand for 20 years. It's ingrained. So, we teach said old timer the new SW grip semi open unit turn forehand....it takes a year to assimilate. Meanwhile, his level goes down another notch. It confuses his mind.
So, after that year, he can hit new modern SW open stanced unit turn forehands. He still needs to implement it into his game. Takes another year.
Meanwhile, he's gotten older TWO years, and not progressed OVERALL, whatsoever, while his old buddies who stayed the old ways improved a hair.
Meaning, with his new forehand, he fell BACK after two years of instruction!.
Check it out, it's reality.

12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Meanwhile, he's gotten older TWO years, and not progressed OVERALL, whatsoever, while his old buddies who stayed the old ways improved a hair.
Meaning, with his new forehand, he fell BACK after two years of instruction!.
Check it out, it's reality.

I understand that can be your reality, but it's not mine. As I've already mentioned,
I recently started working with a 70+ yr old man who's played traditional all
his life.
We are only into it a month or so and he's doing so well, one of his retired friends
in his 60's wanted to join our practices.

Both are already saying they are playing some of their best tennis and friends
have asked what has changed. We work on the modern strokes and trend them
towards a more ideal stroke, as we continue to work on how to put them to
use in actual matches.
The older one had always had to punch/slice back 1st serve rtns, but now can
hit a modern Fh TS rtn on many of them....even when I serve from the svc
line to cut down his time. Now he feels like he has all day when his peers
serve from the BL.
Just one/two examples of how another reality can work.

LeeD
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, if they didn't play tennis as youngsters, lessons latter in life can help.

12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I understand that can be your reality, but it's not mine. As I've already mentioned,
I recently started working with a 70+ yr old man who's played traditional all
his life.
We are only into it a month or so and he's doing so well, one of his retired friends
in his 60's wanted to join our practices.

including when he was younger

LeeD
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Missed that....

NLBwell
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Bottom line, you can do it with any stance but you must match the swing type and path to your stance.

This is true.

3fees
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Situation:

Yes I/O FH CC can be done with closed stance, yet no weight shift and recovery is slowed.
I/O FH CC can be done with neutral stance, advantage weight shift to target, hips turn more freely, recovery faster.

From closed stance rotate front foot backward 90 degrees,,right heel points to the middle of the left shoe, left shoe points to right net post--open stance.

:)