PDA

View Full Version : [Update]: Forehand video again based on comments I got previously.

TennisNinja
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
So I've been actually working on incorporating the tips I got earlier this year for about 2 weeks now. Just wanted to get some of your guys' thoughts on how things are progressing. Thanks in advance!

Here's the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2U7133O7CM

Here's the old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gwV-xlcNo

Here's the old thread I referenced earlier: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443738

Cheetah
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Definite improvement. Nice job.

Your weight transfer is better now. More weight going into the ball now and more pace.

Elbow is still to close but the other areas definitely look better.
I'd try to make your contact point further away from the body to get the elbow extended more and get more leverage. Free power.

Your footwork on the i/o fh is just about perfect. Nothing to change there. Looks great.

Your footwork on cc is not as good. It's ok but it's still a little on the random side. It's inconsistent. On your i/o you're doing the same thing every time and you set up really well. On the fh though it's not consistent. Some open, some neutral, some of the right, some of the left. That's ok and situation dependent in match situations but I can see haven't worked on it (footwork) so much for the cc fh. Am I right? (except maybe for the weight transfer which is better)

mxmx
12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I wanted to say the same as Cheetah about the arms being to close to the body sometimes...Not a fan of extreme grips either, but very impressive nonetheless....

arche3
12-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Your smacking the s out odd the ball. I llike the shape of the balls you hit.

12-11-2012, 05:47 AM
So I've been actually working on incorporating the tips I got earlier this year for about 2 weeks now. Just wanted to get some of your guys' thoughts on how things are progressing. Thanks in advance!

Here's the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2U7133O7CM

Here's the old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gwV-xlcNo

Here's the old thread I referenced earlier: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443738

Very organized! Love this OP.
Also, did you grow? You look taller in the new vid.

For my 2 cents...this shot looks good for a mid ct attack, but not as good
for the normal or aggressive rally imo due to less net clearance and spin.
Should be fine against avg or weaker opponents, as you will likely over-
power them enough to make up for your own UEs, but when pushed harder
by a tough matchup, I expect your UEs may climb to an unacceptable level.
Also, Imo, you should try to be consistent in this respect of how you play,
meaning to use an aggressive rally shot that has good spin and clearance
when working from the BL and back, then use a shot more like this when
you are able to step inside the BL to any extent.
Imo it is a bad habit to hit mid ct attack type balls from the BL against the
weaker opponents (even though you can get away with it) because it develops
a bad habit or responses.

ac10splyr
12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
nobody mention his crowding of his left arm on follow through, that should open up and almost catch the racket, spacing issue

12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
nobody mention his crowding of his left arm on follow through, that should open up and almost catch the racket, spacing issue

Nothing wrong with your suggestion here, but I don't agree he needs to change.
He keeps both elbows sort of tight and compact, which is fine as a style.
May not get max power that way, but he gets plenty power already.
Most times the elbows will do generally the same spacing on both sides.
He keeps the right one tight, so the left will also stay sort of tight imo.

sansaephanh
12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Holy Crap.

LeeD
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
You hit well.
Lots of neutral stance forehands, on wide forehands, maybe work on open stance for quicker recovery.

boramiNYC
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
your footwork definitely seems more thought out for each hit so that's great. you have good timing so that should be a great asset.

wanna mention again about the stance and weight transfer. I'm actually with 5263 in thinking you should more focus on keeping the weight more on the right leg in a more open stance. weight transfer to left leg and stepping in will add power by allowing you to flatten out more and swing the arm but focus on the basics of your grip, which I believe is SW. try less arm swing and more topspin from your forearm and more calm control of the contact point in front. if you keep using the weight transfer it's hard to address the topspin issue. but once you master topspin and the contact point, you'll know when you wanna rip one flat.
I know this is ball machine drill but slow down the pace and work on control with topspin more.

TennisNinja
12-11-2012, 11:11 PM
First off I would like to say thanks to everyone who responded.

Your weight transfer is better now. More weight going into the ball now and more pace.

I'd try to make your contact point further away from the body to get the elbow extended more and get more leverage. Free power.

Your footwork on the i/o fh is just about perfect. Nothing to change there. Looks great.

Your footwork on cc is not as good. It's ok but it's still a little on the random side. It's inconsistent. On your i/o you're doing the same thing every time and you set up really well. On the fh though it's not consistent. Some open, some neutral, some of the right, some of the left. That's ok and situation dependent in match situations but I can see haven't worked on it (footwork) so much for the cc fh. Am I right? (except maybe for the weight transfer which is better)

Yeah you are definitely right that I haven't worked on my footwork as much on my cc fh. I think part of the reason might also be that for shots where I don't move horizontally very much I tend to go closed/semi-open, while it is only for far out shots that I go open/semi-open. The out wide fh I know I need to work on especially. Thanks.

Very organized! Love this OP.
Also, did you grow? You look taller in the new vid.

For my 2 cents...this shot looks good for a mid ct attack, but not as good
for the normal or aggressive rally imo due to less net clearance and spin.
Should be fine against avg or weaker opponents, as you will likely over-
power them enough to make up for your own UEs, but when pushed harder
by a tough matchup, I expect your UEs may climb to an unacceptable level.
Also, Imo, you should try to be consistent in this respect of how you play,
meaning to use an aggressive rally shot that has good spin and clearance
when working from the BL and back, then use a shot more like this when
you are able to step inside the BL to any extent.
Imo it is a bad habit to hit mid ct attack type balls from the BL against the
weaker opponents (even though you can get away with it) because it develops
a bad habit or responses.
Yeah, this would definitely be pushing it in terms of a rally ball. I was trying more to demonstrate how I could get more power easily with the changes, as that was something I wanted to change in the first video. Thanks though!

Nothing wrong with your suggestion here, but I don't agree he needs to change.
He keeps both elbows sort of tight and compact, which is fine as a style.
May not get max power that way, but he gets plenty power already.
Most times the elbows will do generally the same spacing on both sides.
He keeps the right one tight, so the left will also stay sort of tight imo.
Thanks, I'll try to keep what you and the previous poster said in mind.

your footwork definitely seems more thought out for each hit so that's great. you have good timing so that should be a great asset.

wanna mention again about the stance and weight transfer. I'm actually with 5263 in thinking you should more focus on keeping the weight more on the right leg in a more open stance. weight transfer to left leg and stepping in will add power by allowing you to flatten out more and swing the arm but focus on the basics of your grip, which I believe is SW. try less arm swing and more topspin from your forearm and more calm control of the contact point in front. if you keep using the weight transfer it's hard to address the topspin issue. but once you master topspin and the contact point, you'll know when you wanna rip one flat.
I know this is ball machine drill but slow down the pace and work on control with topspin more.
Perfect, thanks. Some sessions I do work just on my stroke itself. This one I wanted more to feel like I was actually moving and see how my forehand would hold up when I actually had to move.

TennisNinja
12-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Anyone else?

TRVX1912
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Ever play in Nj?

bhallic24
12-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Damn you seem like you grew a foot and gained 30 pounds since college = Free Power, yeah! You look huge compared to your precollege videos. Nice videos, great strokes, really digging the serve. What NTRP are you, or do they not have that for college?

Greg G
12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Anyone else?
Hey I'm learning from you! :)

But I would suggest the next improvement would be in movement and tactics (haven't seen match play video).

DropShotArtist
12-18-2012, 05:55 AM

If on the FH you use kinetic chain and essentially drag the arm through contact then how does one get any power on the ball? Won't a loose arm/wrist/grip just cause a flimsy racquet making contact with a fast incoming ball to produce a weak shot?

luvforty
12-18-2012, 06:32 AM
If on the FH you use kinetic chain and essentially drag the arm through contact then how does one get any power on the ball? Won't a loose arm/wrist/grip just cause a flimsy racquet making contact with a fast incoming ball to produce a weak shot?

the arm/hand works as the final stage rocket and does actively tighten thru the impact.

DropShotArtist
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
the arm/hand works as the final stage rocket and does actively tighten thru the impact.

So what was the point in keeping it loose preceding all of that if you're going to tighten up at contact anyways?

luvforty
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
So what was the point in keeping it loose preceding all of that if you're going to tighten up at contact anyways?

so that the earlier stage rockets... legs, hips, core can accelerate the arm/hand first.

the same concept is applied in everyday life non-tennis related actions, hammering a stake, chopping a tree, throwing... the same principles.

toly
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyone else?
I like your strokes very much. How hard do you tight the racquet handle? Your hand/wrist actions are passive or active? :confused:

Cheetah
12-18-2012, 04:46 PM

your hand will tighten automatically on it's own at contact.

johndagolfer
12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice looking strokes. Yours looks vastly different from mine(see my post about out of shape in the health section if you want to see my vid). I guess yours would be considered a modern stroke compared to mine? I would just like to see a little more drive through the ball while trying to windshield wiper so you get that driving topspin.

TennisNinja
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Ever play in Nj?
Haha nope, just WA and MN.
Damn you seem like you grew a foot and gained 30 pounds since college = Free Power, yeah! You look huge compared to your precollege videos. Nice videos, great strokes, really digging the serve. What NTRP are you, or do they not have that for college?
Yeah I started working out a lot more and going to the gym regularly. I have no idea what NTRP I am. It's probably lower than what you would guess.

I like your strokes very much. How hard do you tight the racquet handle? Your hand/wrist actions are passive or active? :confused:
I have a firm grip on my racket, but I wouldn't say tight is correct. Probably like a solid handshake.

your hand will tighten automatically on it's own at contact.
That is true. During actual contact I do tighten my grip.

Nice looking strokes. Yours looks vastly different from mine(see my post about out of shape in the health section if you want to see my vid). I guess yours would be considered a modern stroke compared to mine? I would just like to see a little more drive through the ball while trying to windshield wiper so you get that driving topspin.
That's still something I need to work on because I sometimes slip back to pulling the racket straight up and so I end up framing it.

guitarplayer
12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I was a golf instructor in the 90's. I watched many a great player focus on the wrong things due to too much instruction and ruin the very game he was trying to improve.

You have an awesome forehand. Lots of power, speed, and accuracy. If you listen to too many people here (and I seriously doubt if they could hang with you) and remove your focus to silly things like....put 12percent more weight on your right foot.....move your arm 3 more inches from your body...etc...then you will ruin your game. You will not have a flowing swing...you will be a locked up robot trying to remember 14 different checkpoints.

I watched Curtis Strange win the US Open. Weeks later people were analyzing his unorthodox swing. He would sway to the right on his backswing then sway back to the ball on his downswing. So he went to David Ledbetter who coached him to change to the PERFECT SWING. His game went down the tubes...he never recovered.

Same with Ben Crenshaw. Amazing putter...after he won the Masters.....people commented on his putting stroke and all the ways it could be improved........after changing his stroke and falling into the pits of despair...he admitted, most instruction will ruin you from your real focus. Hit the ball in the hole.

Can't tell you how many good golfers.....listen to too many people and stand on the first tee...frozen .... Thinking of their 14 points to a better swing. Same with tennis. Footwork comes naturally you don't have to focus on how much weight on each foot etc. such BS.

12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
some really good points above.

UCSF2012
12-21-2012, 06:51 AM
At this point, instruction should come from a coach. But you should set the machine to vary depth and spin if you can. Those balls land the same spot every time on the court.

TennisNinja
12-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I was a golf instructor in the 90's. I watched many a great player focus on the wrong things due to too much instruction and ruin the very game he was trying to improve.

You have an awesome forehand. Lots of power, speed, and accuracy. If you listen to too many people here (and I seriously doubt if they could hang with you) and remove your focus to silly things like....put 12percent more weight on your right foot.....move your arm 3 more inches from your body...etc...then you will ruin your game. You will not have a flowing swing...you will be a locked up robot trying to remember 14 different checkpoints.

I watched Curtis Strange win the US Open. Weeks later people were analyzing his unorthodox swing. He would sway to the right on his backswing then sway back to the ball on his downswing. So he went to David Ledbetter who coached him to change to the PERFECT SWING. His game went down the tubes...he never recovered.

Same with Ben Crenshaw. Amazing putter...after he won the Masters.....people commented on his putting stroke and all the ways it could be improved........after changing his stroke and falling into the pits of despair...he admitted, most instruction will ruin you from your real focus. Hit the ball in the hole.

Can't tell you how many good golfers.....listen to too many people and stand on the first tee...frozen .... Thinking of their 14 points to a better swing. Same with tennis. Footwork comes naturally you don't have to focus on how much weight on each foot etc. such BS.
Wow, I've never really thought of it that way. Thanks for that.
At this point, instruction should come from a coach. But you should set the machine to vary depth and spin if you can. Those balls land the same spot every time on the court.
The machine I'm using can only vary where the ball goes middle, left, and right. :/