PDA

View Full Version : Handling serves that are into the body?

andrehanderson
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
One of my partners has a serve that lands wide but bounces into the body. If I adjust my position on the court before he serves he serves flat in the open area.

Any ripe on returning serves that spin into the body?

Thanks!

Andreh

Kam2010
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
When i play at the club against the first team guys they have really good serves and can mix it up.

I just stand a bit further back and take notice of the placements as some tend to when serving on deuce side like to go out wide and when the ad court just go down the T or body serve..

Just stand a little back and just go for a few of his serves and it will put more pressure on him to make sure he's serving right..

Don't adjust before he is about to serve you don't need to unless he has a really fast serve and I mean a really fast one.. Otherwise you can just adjust with a step or 2.

Just to go through what you described, if he is serving wide and lands to the body that would mean you are standing too wide..
Stand more towards the middle but try and read his serve like the pattern as I mentioned before..

Me personally on the Deuce court I go wide with pace, if I am loosing and want to mix it up I go for less power but put it as wide with spin so it drags them out wide so I can come in or it willopen the court up..

Ad side I normally go out wide also as I play mostly Right handers and they find it more difficult to return on backands then FH side..

LeeD
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Take it on your backhand if in doubt.
Ready stance is wide feet, so just shift your weight to the side that gives you a swing at the ball.
You can hit any kind of return off a body shot, topspin, sidespin, or underspin, your choice.
Lobs are the safest.

3fees
12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Try cutting it off before it jams you up(step towards it) and as usual hit out in front.

:mrgreen:

quip: tennis is a game of errors where you try and make one less than your opponent on each point.