PDA

View Full Version : How to practice your footwork?

Wudi
12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
So im about a 3.0-3.5 player who plays recretionaly. Any tips for footwork practices and warm-ups?

LeeD
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Footwork is about getting into correct hitting position, period.
So, going to your backhand side, from the center baseline position, arrive there with the footwork you use to hit your backhands.
On the forehand side, starting near centerline baseline, arrive at your wide position mark with your outside foot planted, ready to stop and hit, then recover back to the center.
Lengthen the exercise to the baselines, then shorter until you need only one step to arrive at your destination.

boramiNYC
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
muscle strength of the feet, ankle, and calf are critical to move onto next stage of finer control. simply jump up and down vigorously 50 to 100 rep at a time a couple times a day. then after you feel the muscles do some shapes. then one leg drill. before playing do a small rep like 20 or 30.

TheCheese
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm going to assume you know WHAT you need to do and are talking about how to execute better.

What really helps me is to just to specifically focus on improving footwork each time you play by trying really hard to get into position until it becomes a habit. There's no easy way around it, it just takes a lot of practice.

slowfox
12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
I all about other activities to indirectly help my tennis. Take dance lessons, play soccer, etc...

PrimeChoice
12-12-2012, 08:19 AM
calf raises

sundaypunch
12-12-2012, 08:22 AM
muscle strength of the feet, ankle, and calf are critical to move onto next stage of finer control. simply jump up and down vigorously 50 to 100 rep at a time a couple times a day. then after you feel the muscles do some shapes. then one leg drill. before playing do a small rep like 20 or 30.

When I saw the thread title my first thought was to tell the person to jump rope for 10-15 minutes every day. If you aren't used to this (or aren't in good shape), it isn't easy to do. If you can't do this there is no way you are going to have good footwork.

3fees
12-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Tennis footwork drills:
snake and sprint
adjustment steps
line drills
cone drills
dot drills

http://www.trainingfortennis.net/tennis-footwork-drills.html

:cool:

anubis
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Also, record yourself. Nothing better than watching and observing what you're doing after it's been done. Best way to find mistakes and other bad habits.

JackB1
12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
agility ladders and jumping rope