PDA

View Full Version : What's the effective tatic to surpress topspin opponent?

baselineJoe
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

What should I do if my opponent always pulls strong topspin shots that run really high? I hit topspin too but mine don't jump high, instead they jump forward fast. I have been thinking about what might be the best way to surpress my opponent when he tries to pull that kind of shots.

LeeD
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM
First of all, nothing you can do will assist you to beat a better player than you.
That said, try moving them side to side, never hit into their strongest hitting zone, slice low and biting, and hit winners when they bounce the ball higher than you like.
Can't do those? Well, then he's a better player. He's seen everyone try to beat him doing those things before.
Drop shot him, use low sharp CC slices.
Or hit harder than he can handle.

baselineJoe
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks Lee, definitely want to try it tomorrow!

NLBwell
12-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Slice low and deep up the middle - keeping the ball around ankle height - and come into the net. Chip and charge.
Most big topspinners don't like the ball low and skidding and approaching up middle reduces the angles for the passes.
You have to be pretty decent in the frontcourt, though.

cll30
12-16-2012, 09:43 PM
take the ball early before it has a chance to bounce so high

mikeler
12-17-2012, 05:25 AM
I'm not telling you how to beat me.

jaggy
12-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Hit aces and service return winners

mikeler
12-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Hit aces and service return winners

Crap, you gave up my secret.

drummerdan
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
If he's got an extreme (grip or grips), try to keep the ball low and slicing. Step in a chip it. Generally, figure out what he doesn't hit as well and feed him a steady diet of those type of balls. You might also try big, looping topspin, as deep as possible. The key is deep and looping to keep him behind the baseline. That way, he can't hurt you with his big topspin shots.

NickC
12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Take away his time. Attack him. Go into the net. Keep the ball low and outside his comfort zone. Don't give him the same look twice.

Bowtiesarecool
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I go into slice mode when these types of players turn up. Get them running back and fourth with baseline slices and hard drop shots just over the net. If you can use his topspin against him by sending it back with even more underspin, chances are good that low bouncing dropper will get him to come in for an attack, and he'll dump it into the net

dyldore
12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I hit with extreme grips and heavy topspin and I have the most trouble with low/deep slices and fast/deep flat shots, on a fast court. If you are on slower courts, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do.

Tennusdude
12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm not telling you how to beat me.

I tell opponents how to beat me all the time and guess what? The fools never ever listen to me. They think I am joking. I have a extremely strong forehand, have even been told it is professional level at times. My backhand it weak, at best I can slice the ball back deep or low, but when forced, although I can hit almost any ball back, it is a weak shot which an advance player will crush. I run around most backhands if possible. My tennis game reminds me of the signs on the back of a tractor trailer. Pass on the left and its heaven (backhand) Pass on the right and its suicide (forehand)

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with my backhand. Main problem is weak grip since I dont switch grips from semi western forehand. I am pretty quick around the court but I am getting old now 55 and it wont be long now when I wont be able to run around the backhand.

When I was using a wood racket my backhand was a pure shank shot. Although I found that my forehand was even more precise even if it was less powerful.

VeeSe
12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I tell opponents how to beat me all the time and guess what? The fools never ever listen to me. They think I am joking. I have a extremely strong forehand, have even been told it is professional level at times. My backhand it weak, at best I can slice the ball back deep or low, but when forced, although I can hit almost any ball back, it is a weak shot which an advance player will crush. I run around most backhands if possible. My tennis game reminds me of the signs on the back of a tractor trailer. Pass on the left and its heaven (backhand) Pass on the right and its suicide (forehand)

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with my backhand. Main problem is weak grip since I dont switch grips from semi western forehand. I am pretty quick around the court but I am getting old now 55 and it wont be long now when I wont be able to run around the backhand.

When I was using a wood racket my backhand was a pure shank shot. Although I found that my forehand was even more precise even if it was less powerful.

Start switching grips... it will help a LOT.

maverick1981
12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
big topspin forehand?

like other posters said - hit the ball on the rise, take away your opponents time to load up & recover - start there, and then, decide if you also have the ability to add in movement to your shot. I think taking it on the rise and putting it back deep is your best tactic. If you can also move that shot around its only a plus.

Next - be mindful of your chances. If you know the player hits consistently, with deep topspin, if & when you get an opening, I suggest going for it and go on the offensive quick. Take your chances and recognize an opportunity to jump on them. This will be your window to win.

barringer97
12-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Also, if they are hitting big topspin, that means that they are hitting higher balls at the net, which would benefit you if you are at the net.

Hard to pass you with big, looping balls.

dyldore
12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Also, if they are hitting big topspin, that means that they are hitting higher balls at the net, which would benefit you if you are at the net.

Hard to pass you with big, looping balls.

If they can only do that shot. I win a lot of net points because if they do come to net, I'll add a little extra brush and hit the ball closer to the net. By the time the ball reaches them it's at their feet and that's a tough volley for most people.

6-1 6-3 6-0
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't play like Federer. (Federer is troubled by players who play with lots of topspin.)

luvforty
12-19-2012, 10:11 AM
low slices for sure.... difficult to produce high ts balls off low slices.

LeeD
12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Low skidded slices OR high moonballs with topspin before your opponent hit's HIS shot.
Surprisingly, some heavy topspin loop players don't like high bouncing balls.
Check with their grips first, of course.

10isfreak
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Understand some little detail about top spin: most of what pros get in terms of top spin is gained by making an off-center contact. That is to say, when they want big spin, they tilt a little more their racket and contact the ball near its upper edge instead of straight behind it -- they also contact lower than the sweet spot, but that's an other story. Of course, swinging low to high does get you spin... but if you know the above, you can understand what follows: the launching angle of the ball is a function of your swing path more than anything else. That is to say, the more vertical your swing path, the higher the ball will fly before falling down.

Between Federer and Nadal, not much exist. Both accomplish the exact same 40 or so anatomical gestures that lead to a great forehand... however, one swings more vertically than the other -- Nadal. His balls do fly higher over the net on average.

I bet this guy likes getting more vertical: the higher the fall, the greater the bounce... Since you know that he HAS to get bellow the ball to lift it, how do you get him to struggle? You have to make it more difficult for him to get that swing path.

One way has repeatedly exposed: get him low balls. Hit junk and slices to have him dig them up... The lower, the harder it is to get the arch shape he needs to annoy you.

But a second way involves his footwork. It is harder to hit these shot while moving forward; it is also harder to hit them while running -- a lot easier to nail it flat than to pull off a big loop that is a real threat while running; and, also, it's a lot harder to get right when there is a lot of variety coming in.

Basically, if nothing specific applies to him, if there's nothing he specifically struggle doing, then work on what's difficult for everyone, including pros: the vast majority of mistakes occur due to footwork issues. Forcing people to adjust make their lives a lot harder -- and the maths tells you that, over time, you'll get your way; you just need to force him into adjustment as OFTEN as possible. More formally, the clear tendency for the observed average is to lean toward the mathematical expectation as the number of attempts tend toward infinity...

TheCheese
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Take it on the rise and hit it away from his forehand. Sounds like the FH v FH matchup is bad news for you.

loci
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
to win any match you have to learn to take control of the center of the court.

firepanda
12-19-2012, 03:46 PM
What's 1-3-0 doing here? I come here to get away from the pro forum...

If they use an extreme grip, it is impossible to hit below the knees and they will have to start slicing. Therefore, slice, if your slice in nice and low.

The backhand is almost always the weaker shot, so you'll probably want to play that. For 2-handers, it can be quite hard to do anything with the ball if it can't be pummeled high-to-low. Therefore hitting hard and flat to the backhand should effectively cripple them. 1-handers don't like high balls, so if you can, hit with as much spin to make it uncomfortable to deal with. If you can't get enough spin, just lob it. :) Be aware that 1-handers are used to dealing with high balls and will often take it on the rise or run round it.

watungga
12-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Take your time. Look for an opportunity.

Attack him during changeover. hehehe