PDA

View Full Version : Video: Started playing about 6 months ago

Dimcorner
12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is a video of my hitting around. I just finished my first league here and I was playing 3.0. I started playing tennis about 6 months ago 2 times a week at group classes. I mainly come from a badminton background where I play very competitively at a state level.

Anyhow let me know what you guys think. Right now I'm working on trying to figure out the forehand and deciding if to try to use a 2 hander on the backhand. Part of the forehand issue is I don't know what grip would work better for me.

I'll post a video on serves on a separate occasion.

TIA!

http://youtu.be/2EWBAFm1E1A

TomT
12-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is a video of my hitting around. I just finished my first league here and I was playing 3.0. I started playing tennis about 6 months ago 2 times a week at group classes. I mainly come from a badminton background where I play very competitively at a state level.

Anyhow let me know what you guys think. Right now I'm working on trying to figure out the forehand and deciding if to try to use a 2 hander on the backhand. Part of the forehand issue is I don't know what grip would work better for me.

TIA!

http://youtu.be/2EWBAFm1E1AFor just being at it 6 months it looks to me like you're on your way to having a solid game. Forehand grip can be an issue for me too, so I wouldn't know what to tell you about that. (My main problem is movement and getting set up properly for shots.) I like the way you're trying to come over the ball ... sometimes not successfully, but consistency will come with practicing what you learn from knowledgeable players at this forum and face to face instruction. Thanks for the vid. Keep posting them periodically as you try to incorporate things you learn. Include some match play vids.

dr325i
12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone,

TIA!

http://youtu.be/2EWBAFm1E1A

That is good for 6 months only, though, with your badminton background, i expected better footwork...
BTW, what kind of 3.0 league is that??

Keep up the good work!

Dimcorner
12-15-2012, 03:47 PM
It was a +18 3.0 team's league. I normally played doubles but moved to singles since I have a pretty decent serve.

Yeah footwork is a little different. I can cover a 20x12 square pretty well, but the tennis court is a little bigger :)

That and reading spin and bounce is a bit tough!

Any suggestions on one or two hander? I tried the two hander for a few and it's ok. I can't get any pace on it (I think I'm trying to contact the ball to far in front of me so I end up lunging at it). I am supposed to go hit tomorrow so I'll set up again and shoot some serves and two handed backhands.

Dimcorner
12-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Also another thing with badminton footwork... You always hit with your racquet foot in front regardless of forehand and backhand. And you pretty much always square your shoulders out to the shot since rotating into it is not necessary.

One other thing... Is it better to take videos from back or from side?

dominikk1985
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
nice for 6 months. you can clearly see that the athleticism and racket handling skills are already developed quite well from your badminton.

A guy that has never hit a ball with anything would likely not play like that after 6 months.

TomT
12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
One other thing... Is it better to take videos from back or from side?Definitely from the back. Your video angle is perfect. Keep recording your stuff that way.

dominikk1985
12-16-2012, 03:06 AM
stay with the one hander as this correlates better with you badminton.

also bend you knees more. not just before you hit but also when you move and in your ready position when you split step. it can also help to stand further apart when you split step.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/s7xdo.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/s7xdo)

in badminton this is different because the ball is always hit over the hit but in tennis the balls are low (usually waist high and below) so you need to lower your body a little more.

sunof tennis
12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Also another thing with badminton footwork... You always hit with your racquet foot in front regardless of forehand and backhand. And you pretty much always square your shoulders out to the shot since rotating into it is not necessary.

One other thing... Is it better to take videos from back or from side?

I concur. Very nice for 6 months. Like all new players, it seems that proper footwork and more use of the body (as oppposed to arming the ball) are pretty universal problems. Espcecially with the one-handed backhand you need more shoulder turn. Also the footwork is off. The last step (whenever possible) should be with your right foot moving forward and across.
I would check out YouTube videos of Tommy Haas hitting. He has a very nice one-handed backhand with no extraneous parts (his forehand is also good and very solid). I think it will demonstrate what I am attempting to conver far better than I can with words.

3fees
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
6 Tennis tips:
1. Relax on the court
2. Be Ready-racquet forward, knees bent
3. Get racquet back early
4. Keep your eye on the ball
5. Hit out front
6. Follow thru fully

Stan Smith's Six tennis Basics

As too foot work take small steps to get to the ball.

:)

Dimcorner
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have a group lesson on Wed so I will try to incorporate better foot work and keeping eye on ball. I think part of my bad footwork could be from not being able to read the ball bounce and spin yet as well as deciding on how high to take the shot (speed of decision) so I don't know where I want to end up until it's too late. That probably comes from just playing a lot.

I'll post a vids of serves soon as well as side shots of the forehand and backhand. My team told me my best shot right now is the serve for my level as well as net play.

Thanks for the feedback! You guys are a very great group and VERY informative.

Nellie
12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
One of the big differences between tennis and badmitten is that badmitten strokes are faster and almost entirely swung from the shoulders.

To improve your forehand, use that left arm more. Stick out that left arm as part of your preparation to get the shoulders turned and your racquet back. During the stroke, don't just drop the left arm - swing it back (like you are trying to strike an attacker behind you) to force your shoulders to fully rotate. You know you are doing it right when you start with your chin touching your left shoulder and end with your chin touching the right shoulder.

Stay with the one-handed backhand. You look pretty natural with it, and likely just need some practice.