PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had Piriformis Syndrome and/or SI Joint Arthritis

Brett
12-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Playing tennis in late October of this year, I pulled what I thought was my groin muscle during a tennis match. I took time off and after several doctor visits, got an MRI and the results showed that I have Piriformis Syndrome along with SI Joint Arthritis. They took my blood to rule out Ankylosing Spondylitis and I have to wait to hear the results.

Anyways, for the past two months because of this I have taken off all forms of cardio and weight lifting per the doctor. It finally started to feel a little better before I got my MRI, then after I got my MRI results they wanted me to started stretching it some at home. They haven't said Physical Therapy yet so I did some stretching at home and it just seemed to flare it back up all over again after I seemingly was making progress not doing anything.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this and what I should do. Should I just go right to Physical Therapy even though the doctor hasn't said to do it yet and wouldn't all this stretching just make it worse again?

Also, he put me on a Medrol Pak (steroid) of 4 MG for this past week and it seemingly did nothing.

Ugh...so frustrating.

Tmano
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Playing tennis in late October of this year, I pulled what I thought was my groin muscle during a tennis match. I took time off and after several doctor visits, got an MRI and the results showed that I have Piriformis Syndrome along with SI Joint Arthritis. They took my blood to rule out Ankylosing Spondylitis and I have to wait to hear the results.

Anyways, for the past two months because of this I have taken off all forms of cardio and weight lifting per the doctor. It finally started to feel a little better before I got my MRI, then after I got my MRI results they wanted me to started stretching it some at home. They haven't said Physical Therapy yet so I did some stretching at home and it just seemed to flare it back up all over again after I seemingly was making progress not doing anything.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this and what I should do. Should I just go right to Physical Therapy even though the doctor hasn't said to do it yet and wouldn't all this stretching just make it worse again?

Also, he put me on a Medrol Pak (steroid) of 4 MG for this past week and it seemingly did nothing.

Ugh...so frustrating.

I had the pirformis muscle along with the saiatic nerve last year and it took a couple of months to go away. however, i did some physical therapy which helped and also some specific stretching. but more than that they gave me some physical exercise to do home which would strenght the area where i had the piriformis.

morandi
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I had piriformis syndrome from mountain biking and tennis. It is an overuse problem, and results from muscle imbalance.
What worked for me was using myofascial release like this:
http://www.tennisfitnesslove.com/2010/05/sciatica-or-piriformis-syndrome-treatment-with-myofascial-release/
I also stretched the area after releasing the tension.
Then I started doing this which corrected my muscle imbalances:
http://foundationtraining.com/home/

junbumkim
12-22-2012, 01:15 AM
I had suffered from lower back and hip problem for a few years, which I found was because of IBS syndrome after all the years. It never got connected because IBS syndrome only flared up if I went for a long distance running and never during tennis. And, I simply never ran.

For me Chiropractics helped a lot to relieve flare-ups and I learn a few important things. Exercise wise, all forms of core exercise helped and stretching. And, doing PT for IBS syndrome really really helped....When my Chiro felt the affected knee, he said the scar tissue must have built up for years......

Say Chi Sin Lo
12-22-2012, 03:47 AM
I have had an episode of this stuff about two or three years ago, I was ~24 (27 now). I was practicing and far from going all out. Then suddenly, I felt a tightening of my lower back. As soon as the spasms started, moving forward was largely preserved, but lateral movement was severely limited. Running forehands, or even a (stand still) stretched forehand wasn't happening. Once I sat down and cooled down, I wasn't getting up. The worst part was a stabbing/needle-like pain running down my left hamstrings. It got way worse that same night. I was essentially immobile. I couldn't sit, I couldn't get up from sitting position, I couldn't get out of bed (I had to roll out of bed), I couldn't bend my back, I could barely walk, and did so very gingerly, my grandpa would have smoked me. I was miserable.

I went to see a PT and she said that my hamstrings, and to some extend, my calves, were REALLY tight. She said she wouldn't be surprised if my hamstrings and calves are just naturally shorter than the norm combined with them being tighter. I'm sure it doesn't help that my left leg is the landing leg for serves. The goal of the rehab was to strengthen my core and stretch for a more flexible hamstrings, to take the load off of my lower back.

It was the most debilitating injury for me, and this is coming from someone who's been through two shoulder surgeries.
On the court: You just can't move. You know there's nothing wrong with your legs, but you just can't move. Every motion in tennis (sports in general) requires significant contribution from the lower back for power, balance, support, everything. So you can imagine how much it affects your game.
Off the court: Everyday stuff became a challenge. It wasn't not long before I felt entombed in my own body. Seriously, getting out of bed felt like a workout.

For anyone suffering from piriformis syndrome, herniated discs, hamstrings strain, sciatica, general lower back nonsense, I offer you one advice that worked in my favor: Be mobile as soon as you can! Remind yourself that there's nothing wrong with your legs. You got to loosen up the back by moving your legs. I felt sick of being entombed in my own body, so I forced myself to get out of the house and walked up a hill. It wasn't long hill, just a steep, one block hill behind my house, but it was a challenge and I was going at a snail's pace. It did wonders for my recovery. Even my PT was surprised of my speedy progress and she encouraged me to walk as much as I can tolerate the pain and tightness.

I probably have some degree of piriformis syndrome/sciatica judging from the intense sharp/needle-like pain running down my left hamstrings. But I didn't care. My back locked up, my leg hurts like hell, I'm going to get moving and fight it.

Seriously the most debilitating injury ever.