PDA

View Full Version : Haven't played much, may give it up?

max
12-17-2012, 05:53 AM
I've been feeling over the past several months of just slowly retiring from tennis. It's just the same stuff over and over, and I just don't get much buzz from it.

Any thoughts? Any notion of what's going on here?

Hi I'm Ray
12-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Maybe you feel like you've hit a wall? Thats why I lost motivation after college and didn't play again for 9 yrs. I only picked it up again a few years ago cuz I needed some form of regular cardio that was more interesting than running (boring). Right now I feel like I'm improving a lot so I'm always looking for more court time.

Or maybe you just always play the same ppl?

slowfox
12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Burning out? Bored? Perhaps you can set some new and challenging goals to revitalize your interest in the game. I dunno, maybe like learning a stroke you haven't mastered yet, or refining an existing one.

Or maybe take a month off. Then see if that itch to play ever creeps in.

samarai
12-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe you need to redefine why you are playing. First I started playing for fitness reasons. Now in addition to it I do it for the social conversations. We kinda "hang out" at the courts during the evenings now with a group of guys. We do this to get out of the house. Knda like going to a local bar just healthier.

bhallic24
12-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Maybe you need to redefine why you are playing. First I started playing for fitness reasons. Now in addition to it I do it for the social conversations. We kinda "hang out" at the courts during the evenings now with a group of guys. We do this to get out of the house. Knda like going to a local bar just healthier.

I like the way you put it, "knda[sic] like going to a local bar just healthier". Very acturate way to view playing tennis in the minds of many people i think.

I gotta say to OP, I've been there once or twice. Neither of those times was it because I hit a wall so to speak. When I hit a wall, I tend to try rethink, rework, and revisit things (strengths/weaknesses/mechanics/strategy).

Initially I played just for excercise, to run around like you Samari but hated boring activities like jogging. God how can people be excited to do that? I needed a fuzzy green purpose to warrant running around. Frustrating more times than not, I sucked, but it was fun, because I knew I could only get better.

Then I slowly got better, found my serve, and started playing games and the competitive side kicked in. I was playing to win.

Then I realized I wasn't improving fast enough so I took a step back. Now I play to get better, sharper, more efficient. And somewhat for excercise. because you see as you play more people and different styles, theres always someone better than you, guaranteed. My drive now is to improve on my weaknesses and polish strengths so I can go back and play the same people I used to play and absolutely destroy them. Theres no greater satisfaction.

I played a coworker that I used to play a year and a half ago and back then, we'd always get to tiebreaks or it'd be 6-4 4-6. Played him a month ago and it was 6-0 6-1. Just a sign that I'm moving in the right direction.

That's the drive now. Dunno if thats the right mentality to go about things but works for me. Keeps me eager to hit, hungry to play.

3fees
12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Its seems you need to set a goal, I do a lot of serve practice and pickup games when available, set a goal for yourself, eg slice backhand, improved serve, ect then work on it slowly as you see yourself improve it will motivate you, another option is take lessons..

:)

user92626
12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I've been feeling over the past several months of just slowly retiring from tennis. It's just the same stuff over and over, and I just don't get much buzz from it.

I observe that recreational tennis is difficult to remain interesting if you don't have a good, challenging group or if you're taking it too seriously.

Roddick85
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Max, I was in a very similar situation not too long ago, so I understand where your coming from. As others have pointed out, you got to perhaps evaluate why you're playing exactly? You doing it to get a decent workout? To socialize? Because you love the game? If your doing it because you want to workout or socialize, perhaps your interest in tennis just faded away with time and you just need to find another activity that satisfy those 2 needs.

In my case, I've played well over 80 matches this year + dozens of practices + working out 2-3 times a week. Needless to say, I felt burned out physically. I was also carrying some nagging injuries, which impaired my performance and I was also taking lessons for a few weeks, and the effects/results on my game didn't come as fast as I would of expected. With all that factored in, I too had lost a bit of interest in Tennis and started to question if I should just call it quit....but I didn't. The fact is, I pretty much live and breathe tennis outside of my job. I'm always looking forward to my next time on court, even thought my body doesn't always agree with me :cry: In the end, I just took a few weeks off to heal and recover and re-asserted my expectations in terms of improving my game.

With the holidays coming, perhaps you could re-evaluate why you play tennis and maybe take the holidays as an off period for you to recover. You'll then see if you have the itch to be back on court, if you didn't miss it, odds are you better move on to something else.

Mick3391
12-17-2012, 07:51 PM

One thing all sports have in common are setting goals and trying to achieve them. Even if it's just making a totally awesome shot in a game, make some goal, try to get better.

I agree just hitting the ball back and forth mindlessly is boring. I quit Tennis when I didn't have competition and didn't see any reason to play. Join USTA and do some Tourney's, doesn't matter how old you are, you can always improve, or teach a child, Tennis is a blast, but yea you have to have some goal with it, we never "Arrive".

bhallic24
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
the way I see it, for most people on this forum, the only way you'd get tired of tennis is if you just achieve some supreme level and nothings hard for you anymore. I mean seriously, Federer has all the shots and can pull them off easily but he's showing no signs of disinterest. So why should you? Keep working at it. Theres always something more, something to work on, something to strive for.

Mick3391
12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
the way I see it, for most people on this forum, the only way you'd get tired of tennis is if you just achieve some supreme level and nothings hard for you anymore. I mean seriously, Federer has all the shots and can pull them off easily but he's showing no signs of disinterest. So why should you? Keep working at it. Theres always something more, something to work on, something to strive for.

Interesting thing about that, Fed recently said "I need some time for practice". Think about that, all of those matches, all of those years, yet he needs time to "Practice"!

Cindysphinx
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
meh. If you are not enjoying a hobby, stop. Go do something else. If you change your mind someday, fine. If not, also fine.

Bagumbawalla
12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Do you feel this way about tennis, in particular, or about life in general?

What did you think you might get out of tennis, and what is it that tennis, as a sport, does not deliver?

Very often, what we get out of a sport (or life) is directly related to what we, ourselves, bring to the situation. So, onepossible question is- are you putting in the effort, practice, building, improving, -- and, if so, could your energy be better directed.

None of us can decide for you- what you want and how you feel, but you can ask yourself some questions and see where that takes you.

junbumkim
12-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Everyone is bound to get tired / bored of the same stuff at some point. It's why professionals do it because it's their job, and why they vary their training regimens. Those who can't handle retire early b/c of mental fatigue.

Don't make it too philosophical about it, but try new things within tennis and outside tennis. Look for players who can challenge you, or find a way that you find tennis interesting. My partner and I used to play Djokovic game and try out Romanian volley drills. There are numerous ways to play points - baseline points, rotating one up and one down, rotating serves every 4 points. If nothing interests you, go find other activities that you enjoy - basketball, hiking, backpacking, or whatever. No matter how much you love tennis, tennis is not your life or job.

samarai
12-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Don't think of tennis of a hobby, think of it as a lifestyle. I mean, eating health, staying in shape, is a lifestyle not a hobby. This will keep u motivated.

Wilander Fan
12-19-2012, 06:45 AM
You guys are lucky. I cant even find serious partners to play with once a week.

Mick3391
12-19-2012, 08:59 AM
You guys are lucky. I cant even find serious partners to play with once a week.

Yea you can, that's nonsense. I stopped Tennis once I started working and claimed I could't find anyone, however today that is MUCH different.

You can go online, there are always local sites where you can meet other players of like skills to hit with, play against if you like, I mean whatever the two of you decide. I met some real good players, one guy I really got along with, would have kept playing on a regular basis if I didn't have injuries (He was good so didn't want to bore him)

So LISTEN, you can do USTA tourneys despite your age, and play against other locals looking to play, zero excuse:)

TomT
12-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Any thoughts? Any notion of what's going on here?Who can have any good idea what's going on with you? Only you can know that. For me, every opponent is different. Every day is different. It certainly isn't the same stuff over and over again. I want to get better. Is there some point at which I'll suppose that I can't improve? I don't think so.

meh. If you are not enjoying a hobby, stop. Go do something else. If you change your mind someday, fine. If not, also fine.Agree. Tennis is not the only game in town.

You guys are lucky. I cant even find serious partners to play with once a week.I had this problem, and then was fortunate enough to find a local flex league that has enabled me to connect with dozens of competitive players (see my sig). Most of whom I lose matches to. But it's great fun, and I think I'm improving. Yeah, I'm a tennis nut. The competition, the comaradarie, the physical benefits, etc. What a great hobby!

TennisCJC
12-22-2012, 08:01 AM
meh. If you are not enjoying a hobby, stop. Go do something else. If you change your mind someday, fine. If not, also fine.

^^^^ Yes ^^^^ Good thoughts above, or try these:

Stop playing or take time off from time to time. Don't over do it - it's just a game. Let your body rest - nothing adds to burn out and frustration more than nagging injuries. Take up another hobby to keep things fresh. Try a new league or new hitting partners. Give it some thought, but I would suggest you take at least a few weeks off and reassess.

sureshs
12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Find some good looking young women to play with

max
12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
The problem is partly physical; it's taking its toll on me. I also have played just about everybody plenty of times; no newcomers coming around here. Same old.

I also think, "Max, you could be doing something more profitable with your time."

Mick3391
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Find some good looking young women to play with

Right! "Big busted women for tennis project", you will get better only out of ego:)

JW10S
12-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Any thoughts? Any notion of what's going on here?I think everyone knows of someone who's played several times a week for years, even decades, but never gets better. It's because they just do the same things over and over. It's like doing the same set of math problems over and over--you won't get better at math. After my competitive days were over and I started coaching I attended my 1st pro convention. 1 of the presenters recognized me and brought me out onto the court. He said 'I've seen this guy play and I know he has a really good backhand--but I always think you can improve. So what can he do to make an already good backhand better?' He then set up a target area for me to hit into and said 'let's see how many out of 5 he can land in that zone'. I made all 5. He then said 'he could practice hitting to that zone all day, everyday, and it wouldn't help--because he can already do it'. He then set up a smaller target zone and again I hit all 5 shots in it. He then made the zone even smaller, and again I made all 5. This went on until the zone eventually became so small that I only made 2 of the 5 shots. He said, 'that's what he needs to do to improve his backhand, practice hitting to that zone, and when he can hit 5 of 5, make the zone smaller.' I find that players tend to stick with what they know they can do and never reach beyond their comfort zones. So they don't improve because they're hitting the same shots, using the same patterns, etc, over and over. My advice would be to go out and try some new things, new shots, new patterns, push the envelope and see if that doesn't goose your game a little. If it doesn't then quit...