PDA

View Full Version : Spin Window

julian
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448499

discusses a definition of a spin window.
I have thought that it maybe of some interest to some
reading mainly the INSTRUCTION section

Just to make couple points clear:
1.I do NOT fully understand the very DEFINITION of the SPIN WINDOW
Everybody is welcome to ask questions and comments
but I cannot promise to provide any answers.
The concept is NOT mine-it was introduced by the TW University
2.I provided the link because I do NOT have a laptop on me and I cannot cut and paste efficiently on Blackberry

goran_ace
12-18-2012, 10:11 AM
While I haven't heard the term 'spin window' used anywhere else. I became familar with the concept a long time ago when I experimented with widebody rackets in the early 90's. If you've ever hit one of the extreme widebodies with the mid size head (Wilson Profile 2.7/3.6 95, Prince CTS Thunderstick 90, Head Genesis 600). The first thing you think is man this thing is a rocket launcher. If you hit flat you had to slow down/shorten your swing dramatically - but that's no fun - so to be able to use that power you had to put a ton of tospin on it to keep it in the court. So as your grip moves towards extreme western, you suddenly become really aware of just how thick that beam is when you start hitting balls off the side of the racket.

Expanding the spin window is the reason for the rounder-shaped head geometries you see on the head extreme and speed, babaolat pure drive/aero pure drive.

julian
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
While I haven't heard the term 'spin window' used anywhere else. I became familar with the concept a long time ago when I experimented with widebody rackets in the early 90's. If you've ever hit one of the extreme widebodies with the mid size head (Wilson Profile 2.7/3.6 95, Prince CTS Thunderstick 90, Head Genesis 600). The first thing you think is man this thing is a rocket launcher. If you hit flat you had to slow down/shorten your swing dramatically - but that's no fun - so to be able to use that power you had to put a ton of tospin on it to keep it in the court. So as your grip moves towards extreme western, you suddenly become really aware of just how thick that beam is when you start hitting balls off the side of the racket.

Expanding the spin window is the reason for the rounder-shaped head geometries you see on the head extreme and speed, babaolat pure drive/aero pure drive.

You may try to read
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ctory_info.php
if you want to

goran_ace
12-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I have read it, thanks. The approach angle is not so much about the angle of the ball coming towards the racket but by how steep is the swingpath through the contact zone. The graphic is a bit misleading because it looks like the racket is stationary.

julian
12-19-2012, 06:59 AM
I have read it, thanks. The approach angle is not so much about the angle of the ball coming towards the racket but by how steep is the swingpath through the contact zone. The graphic is a bit misleading because it looks like the racket is stationary.
Goran_ace,

I have some random thoughts on the subject.
Your response is appreciated.
Switching gears a bit now:
please see
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/PEX320/PEX320review.html

Prince EXO3 Tour 100 (18X20)

Comments:

1.The value of THE SPIN WINDOW for the racket quoted above is 6.10 of the inch for default input values
It is one of the HIGHEST values I have found for frames 100 inches squared

2.It is interesting that high ranking by TW corresponds to a reasonable value of SPIN WINDOW.
I am NOT trying to find some kind of general rule here but ...
For example the mentioned above Prince racket has ranking equal to eighty three
which was quite high a YEAR AGO
The value 83 is quoted as OVERALL in the link quoted ABOVE.

3.SPIN WINDOW is probably a variable describing how could the control of a given racket is but I am NOT sure

4.All this discussion is related to the issue of a racket tilted toward ground for FOREHANDS (flat or topspin)

5.It is possible that HIGHER SPIN WINDOW helps with a RETURN of SERVE
Three basic parameters for RETURN of SERVE are weight,swingweight and stiffnes.
The Twistweight is important as well
I will expand this thought a bit later

Merry Christmas,
Julian

mntlblok
12-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I *love* this stuff and experiment with it constantly. It's quite rare, in my experience, to find anyone else who even *begins* to want to think about it.

As I've gotten old and infirm (can't use my right wrist normally, anymore), I've experimented with extra-large racket frames. One of the advantages of same is that they can provide power that I'd otherwise not be able to bring to bear. If one adds to that a very low string tension, the power of the "trampoline effect" can grow to be quite large. I love it. Lob volleying, for example, becomes almost simple, not to mention the aggravation factor of yer opponents having to listen to the "sproing!" sound off every shot. :mrgreen:

But, for certain types of shots, control becomes nearly impossible without using lots of spin. Fortunately, the wrist allows me to do that in a "downward" direction. And, I'm learning to do it with the other wrist in an upward direction for a topspin, two-hander.

And, you can actually make the spin window even *bigger* if you make the landing zone more along the "vertical" axis of the string bed, which can be made to work to varying degrees with various underspin-type shots, or at least somewhat "diagonally".

I've even experimented with using a "Big Bubba", rather than a Weed, since the frame is thinner, allowing for an even larger spin window. Unfortunately, no matter how I string the Big Bubba, I can't reproduce the same "feel" with either the trampoline effect or the spin. I really think the "wide body" aspect of the Weed has something to do with that trampoline effect. I recall that I used to feel something similar with those huge Head rackets that came out right after Wilson first brought out that big wide bodied Hammer. Problem was, besides the Heads causing me some fierce tennis elbow, the frames kept collapsing in the stringing machines.

Would love to see some discussion about this subject of spin window and related issues.