PDA

View Full Version : low skidding serve - how to return?

arun_mrk
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I have problem returning "low skidding serve"...either it goes into the .net or goes out (when aggressive)

Can somebody suggest me on where to stand, how to position & what kinda stroke to play depending on the different serve placement?

luvforty
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
get into position, hit with more spin.

these are slice serves going out wide, you can return with even a sharper angle cross court and pull him even further out wide.

this can't be lower than sliced rally ball.... shouldn't be that tough if your footwork is there.

sunof tennis
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Is the ball on the way down when you are hitting it or still on its way up? What is the speed of the serve?

zapvor
12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
if the ball is skidding, just slice it back

boramiNYC
12-18-2012, 07:20 PM
assuming ball is skidding due to speed, what you need is a block or minimal swing return. at contact your feet must be in solid contact with the ground in good balance. practice split step then lunge and see if you can balance on landing of that lunge. lunge toward the ball and block as you control racquet face to make the ball back in court.

TomT
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I have problem returning "low skidding serve"...either it goes into the .net or goes out (when aggressive)

Can somebody suggest me on where to stand, how to position & what kinda stroke to play depending on the different serve placement?Well, everybody has problems with these kinds of serves, or these kinds of well-paced low skidding, biting shots. Think in terms of placement. You're pretty much going to be blocking them back. But there's a good, even offensive, way of doing that and a bad way of doing that. Beyond that, I don't know what to say. Either you have the ability to hit these kinds of serves and shots back with good placement, or you don't. If you don't, then that's one thing you need to drill on.

Bagumbawalla
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
If you are going for an agressive return, prepare yourself to get down low- bend your knees- squat low to the ball- as much as possible like your best "normal" return-- but lower. Drive through the ball low to high. Stay fairly loose. Keep the stroke smooth and fluid. If you are going to hit out on the ball- do so with a long follow-through, because timing can be an issue with a skipping ball. Drive the ball to the far corner to get the benefit of longest angle.

If that does not work for you, then shorten your take-back- stay low, but "Punch" through the ball much as you would with a half-volley- imparting topspin to keep the ball in the court, and shoot for the big, empty spaces over the low part of the net.

LeeD
12-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Zaps got it, slice it back to a corner.
Just like you facing a low slice groudie, it's difficult to run over and hit hard topspin. You can also hit flat, but keep it low over the net.

USS Tang
12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
West Coaster LeeD finally got out of bed. Good...I was waiting to hear his response. For me, returning serve on grass last summer in the National 65s in New Jersey was pure hell. It was almost impossible to get the racket face on the ball, what with the low skid on the thick grass where, incidentally, it had rained for several days. What's the solution, aside from crawling around the court on all fours? I really want to know.

dominikk1985
12-19-2012, 09:33 AM
try to get low and hit it or if you can't skid it back:).

LeeD
12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
That's why, slick fast courts, like in the OLD days, continental grip for a slice return of serve.
Now days, slow grippy courts, high bounce, more western grips to return higher bouncing serves.
If your opponent skids a low one, use old style returns.

Nellie
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
yes - get low. Bend the knees.

firepanda
12-19-2012, 09:23 PM
That's why, slick fast courts, like in the OLD days, continental grip for a slice return of serve.
Now days, slow grippy courts, high bounce, more western grips to return higher bouncing serves.
If your opponent skids a low one, use old style returns.

I don't like that. Especially at the higher levels, there's definitely not enough time to switch grips and hit an unfamiliar shot. I'd say just to slice, which is kinda cheap but works. Put it deep and in the middle, ideally at the opponent's feet. That way, he can't get the angle to hit a winner.

colowhisper
12-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Similar question from my last match. Played a leftie with a crazy side spin serve that I really struggled with. Even when I made good contact the ball spun off my strings into the next court wide. My team mate watching later told me I should have attacked spin with spin rather than blocking. Does that sound right?

decades
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
watch Djokovic handle a serve like that. then do what he does.

anubis
12-20-2012, 07:06 AM
I agree with slicing it back, or a half blocking volley. either way, you'll have to have more of an eastern or conti grip. You can't use a SW or W grip with such a low ball, it will go right into the net.

NLBwell
12-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Similar question from my last match. Played a leftie with a crazy side spin serve that I really struggled with. Even when I made good contact the ball spun off my strings into the next court wide. My team mate watching later told me I should have attacked spin with spin rather than blocking. Does that sound right?

When you block the ball, you should have your body weight going into the shot. Even though the racket is moving very little distance, you are attacking the ball. If you are neutral or leaning back, you will not have control of the shot. As they say in baseball, "don't let the ball play you."

TimothyO
12-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I think it depends on your skill level.

If low to mid-level (say, 3.0-3.5) slice it back. Trying to hit aggressive topspin will do precisely what you noted: send it into the net or long.

Worse case: block it back deep cross court.

I know this because my serve does skids low. It's a decent pace but not super high pace and has loads of spin that drives it low, below the net after the bounce.

Over-eager, low-mid-level Nadal-wannabes tend to cough up UEs trying to whack it. Others block it back or slice it (obviously higher level players can easily return it with interest...which is one reason among many that I'm not 4.0+).