PDA

View Full Version : Adjustment of stroke to the circumstances

sureshs
12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
It is fashionable to say that pros have only one forehand, etc. But a reliable club player should focus on doing what he can with the incoming ball. He must learn to play within his limitations and come up with reasonable responses to every situation, rather than flailing wildly at uncomfortable balls based on preconceived notions. This skill is not taught anywhere but savvy players develop it.

TheCheese
12-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Good players have adaptable forehands. They're always using a similar technique unless they're going from a slice to a topspin shot.

10isfreak
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
The main challenge in tennis is not to learn how to play your stroke; it is to bring your stroke to the ball which is hard!

It is infinitely easier to learn how to hit your forehand in a fundamental manner which variates only marginally and move your butt around the court to be able to hit almost always the same shot than doing the opposite. Adjustment in pro tennis is done mainly with your legs: you bend them, you extend them, you jump with them... you even use specific footwork patterns to hit on the run.

This is a rare thing that amateurs can perfectly copy and paste into their own world.

If they get outplayed and can‘t get an ideal body position to hit, of course, then you adjust the swing -- and knowing the above, you try to go for a simpler shot... aim deep, create an angle... do something, but do not try to get power, spin and a wonderful target in that bad position. Footwork is nearly everything and it is your footwork which determines when you can attack and when you don‘t.

Bagumbawalla
12-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Actually, I believe that skill is taught by good instructors/coaches. I was coached that way when I was younger, and, even now, when I practice with a partner, not only do we hone our "normal" strokes, but also do drills that force us to scrap for the ball out of our comfort zones.

sureshs
12-22-2012, 12:39 PM
By coaches I meant coaches for adult players, not junior coaches