PDA

View Full Version : Backhand no follow through extension

ac10splyr
12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Just seeing what thoughts are on this, driving hands out and extending top hand/non dominant hand out without a follow through across body.,,

JackB1
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM
this is a huge issue I am fighting all the time with my 2 hander. I whip the racquet across my body and break the wrists too early. This drains power and makes my backhand less consistent. Its a tough one to teach because you can't see the problem unless you watch some slowmo video. I think the key is a contact point that is out in front enough and also keeping the left wrist laid back and making contact with it still laid back.

ac10splyr
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I use and see top juniors and pros use the 'stab' backhand, I know it is in certain situations but was just curious

JackB1
12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I use and see top juniors and pros use the 'stab' backhand, I know it is in certain situations but was just curious

guess I am not sure what your question is? Could you rephrase?

ac10splyr
12-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Seeing if pros out there actually teach a no follow through backhand..,

firepanda
12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Well... my 2-handed backhand is terrible, so you probably might want to ignore this. But when the ball is high and short, a nice, elegant follow through will send the ball long, so I tend to 'poke' it. When I want to get a lot of topspin, for whatever reason, I can hit 'up' on the ball, kind of like a WW forehand. Of course, having two hands on the racquet, this is really awkward and my follow through is short and ends up over my head somewhere. It does work, but I am doing so much technically wrong...

Wegner
12-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Well... my 2-handed backhand is terrible, so you probably might want to ignore this. But when the ball is high and short, a nice, elegant follow through will send the ball long, so I tend to 'poke' it. When I want to get a lot of topspin, for whatever reason, I can hit 'up' on the ball, kind of like a WW forehand. Of course, having two hands on the racquet, this is really awkward and my follow through is short and ends up over my head somewhere. It does work, but I am doing so much technically wrong...

Firepanda, if you find the ball slowly and then accelerate up and across the body, finishing above the opposite shoulder, like Serena, you will smooth out your stroke. The key is not to be too early and find the ball well, almost touching it, then accelerate. Almost like catching it, then accelerate. It will increase your accuracy as well.

sureshs
12-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Serena plays nothing like that. It is a big smooth swing into the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8dcKE1XxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ5NpbcOBbs

In the second video, the takeback is so huge that the racket is behind the body.

She doesn't take her racket close to the ball, and accelerate at the last instant. It is a continuous motion with a generous swing, relying on her anticipation to predict the position of the ball in advance and swing to meet into it. There is no finding of the ball and delaying till the last instant before swinging hard. Such a strategy would produce a weak stroke which would not even fly at the club level.

All pros use superior anticipation to swing with power into the ball. The decision is made early.

KayFactor
12-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Firepanda, if you find the ball slowly and then accelerate up and across the body, finishing above the opposite shoulder, like Serena, you will smooth out your stroke. The key is not to be too early and find the ball well, almost touching it, then accelerate. Almost like catching it, then accelerate. It will increase your accuracy as well.

Do you mean when I'm just about to make contact with the ball (literally about 1-2 inches close) then I should accelerate my arm? This applies to both FH an BH right?

sureshs
12-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Do you mean when I'm just about to make contact with the ball (literally about 1-2 inches close) then I should accelerate my arm? This applies to both FH an BH right?

That is completely wrong. Speed plots of pro swings posted in this forum have clearly shown that there is acceleration throughout the swing, and that the acceleration decreases before impact. Please note this carefully - the speed still increases throughout the forward swing, but the rate of increase slows down before impact, due to the incapability of the human body to sustain it. There is no sudden acceleration from close range. This has been well established with high frame rate video and the speed plots posted on this forum many times. Don't buy into any myth. It may be true only in very special situations like a player moving towards a short ball may wait for the opponent to commit to a side, and then suddenly swing the ball into the other corner.

firepanda
12-21-2012, 11:32 PM
2-handed backhand is such a simple yet finnicky shot. Much like a golf swing. -_-

Mick3391
12-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Just seeing what thoughts are on this, driving hands out and extending top hand/non dominant hand out without a follow through across body.,,

My best shot is a one handed backhand. No one expects it. Only reason is that I work on weakness', so my backhand is more unpredictable and powerful than any shot.

Go and do the same, how? PRACTICE!

morandi
12-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I think this is what you are referring to in terms of technique :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzU-HZwGaWo

I have been tweaking my 2 hander lately, and implementing this style has helped me drive through the ball more, and to not break my wrists too early. Its given me much more power on that shot. Watching footage of Safin helped too.

KayFactor
12-22-2012, 11:48 PM
That is completely wrong. Speed plots of pro swings posted in this forum have clearly shown that there is acceleration throughout the swing, and that the acceleration decreases before impact. Please note this carefully - the speed still increases throughout the forward swing, but the rate of increase slows down before impact, due to the incapability of the human body to sustain it. There is no sudden acceleration from close range. This has been well established with high frame rate video and the speed plots posted on this forum many times. Don't buy into any myth. It may be true only in very special situations like a player moving towards a short ball may wait for the opponent to commit to a side, and then suddenly swing the ball into the other corner.

Then what happens after the acceleration decreases before impact?

sureshs
12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Then what happens after the acceleration decreases before impact?

Impact happens, and the arm comes around. That part is correct. But there is no sudden acceleration just before contact. Such a thing is almost biologically impossible, except maybe an aggressive flick with the wrist in table tennis.

KayFactor
12-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Impact happens, and the arm comes around. That part is correct. But there is no sudden acceleration just before contact. Such a thing is almost biologically impossible, except maybe an aggressive flick with the wrist in table tennis.

When does come my arm come into play? Right before impact or after?

sureshs
12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
When does come my arm come into play? Right before impact or after?

Not sure I understand the question. In any case, you are better off asking someone who hits a 2 hander regularly - I hit them only in reflex situations.