PDA

View Full Version : Resources to improve body language on court

high and deep
12-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Anyone have a good resource like a book or online article for developing good rituals between points. I remember reading something about this in a jim loehr book about 25 plus years ago, but I haven't seen anything in the tennis books I own. Any help would be great.

mikeler
12-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Just win all the time and you will always exude positive body language.

isilra
12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
That sounds interesting. What do you mean by body language on court, i mean why somebody might need it ?

high and deep
12-23-2012, 04:54 PM
what I mean is that there are special techniques that have been talked about by sports psychologists to manage emotions between points. Players develop rituals like Sharapova turning away from the net and picking at her strings, for instance. Some of these rituals are designed to have the player develop more positive body language that can help them stay positive and not give their opponent a clue that they are really down emotionally...

slowfox
12-24-2012, 04:37 AM
Rituals can be a personal and varied thing. Perhaps be more aware of your posture. Standing straight and upright gives the appearance of confidence. And although confidence comes from within (inner), sometimes the body (outer) can trick the mind into feeling something else. For example, try smiling big AND feeling sad.

Mick3391
12-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Anyone have a good resource like a book or online article for developing good rituals between points. I remember reading something about this in a jim loehr book about 25 plus years ago, but I haven't seen anything in the tennis books I own. Any help would be great.

Cool topic! When I play, I'm like Mac, emotion for good or bad shots.

I showed my son Federer and said "That's who you want to emulate", and one thing I noticed about Fed, I noticed it at last years Wimbledon, is that he shows NO EMOTION, yea he'll pump a fist at a great shot, but aside from that you see nothing.

I noticed Murray happy in the beginning, then you could just see the frustration all over him, and if you watch the post interview Fed said "I knew he was coming apart because I could see his frustration", that's a paraphrash, but how true!

Think about the power of showing no emotion, you can be way behind but your opponent gets worried because you look the same, unworried.

So here's the cool part, my son and I agreed that he would show no emotion, and since he's not a hot head like me he's done that in all of his matches, makes a great shot shows nothing, misses by a mile shows nothing.

I hope this will help him in the future where opponents are more aware of their opponent, I think it will. Watch when Fed makes one of those incredible shots, you see Djoke or Murray pull their heads back in disgust, maybe I'm TOTALLY WRONG, but it seems good psycology to do what I can't, and that is act disinterested and confident.

JohnYandell
12-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Jim Loehr was the first to study this systematically and come up with stages of inbetween point behavior. Basically you ritualize your body posture, your movement and your thinking to maintain a positive physical and mental orientation throughout the ups and downs of matches.

It's been picked up, studied, expanded, refined, etc by other experts like Jeff Greenwald, Allen Fox, and Alistair Higham.

All those guys have books or dvds if you search. They all also have article series on Tennisplayer.

high and deep
12-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Thank you John. Thought you might have something on your website. I'll look up the names you mentioned too.

high and deep
12-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Thank you John. Thought you might have something on your website. I'll look up the names you mentioned too.

3fees
12-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Read Skip Singletons Intelligent Tennis, foreword by Ken Rosewall

sureshs
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
On the other hand, fans want pros to show their emotions and lay it all out there.

slowfox
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
On the other hand, fans want pros to show their emotions and lay it all out there.

If only we can get Connors out there again. That would be awesome.

Hollandtennis
12-24-2012, 06:50 PM
16 second cure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZ1hoBb3rU

boramiNYC
12-24-2012, 07:05 PM
try to make your mind strong in earnest and train your body to reflect your mind as true as possible all of the time.

high and deep
12-25-2012, 06:49 AM
thanks so much for the 16 second cure. This was what I was looking for!!!