PDA

View Full Version : WW Forehand

normrose
12-25-2012, 09:09 PM
In order to gain maximum spin is it helpful to strike the ball on the side.

Watching a video of Fernando Verdasco it appears he is striking the ball on the side, as opposed to coming straight up the back of the ball, as he comes from low to high?

Thanks

Head Pegger
12-25-2012, 09:23 PM
post video

normrose
12-25-2012, 11:29 PM
post video

Happy to do so - how do you post a video to this page?

dominikk1985
12-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Happy to do so - how do you post a video to this page?

you right click on a YouTube link, click on copy and then you put the Cursor in your post, right click again and click on paste:D

normrose
12-26-2012, 02:52 AM
you right click on a YouTube link, click on copy and then you put the Cursor in your post, right click again and click on paste:D

Thanks Dominik 1985 - here we go!

normrose
12-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Video verdasco forehand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LetxCiRKSh8

Head Pegger
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Not exactly sure what you mean by coming up the side.
But he just goes through his motion, lowers the racket below the ball and
brushed up on it. As opposed to a more flatter shot where he would hit more through and not brush up as much

dominikk1985
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I see what you mean. are you sure those are not just CC FHs?

12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
In order to gain maximum spin is it helpful to strike the ball on the side.

Watching a video of Fernando Verdasco it appears he is striking the ball on the side, as opposed to coming straight up the back of the ball, as he comes from low to high?

Thanks

yes...to try to work straight up the back of the ball will destroy the flow of the
stroke to some extent. Hitting up and across the side as you noticed, can help
to preserve the natural arc and keep up the flow & rhs. It also lets you pull across
stronger to add accel as needed.

WildVolley
12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Video verdasco forehand

:confused:

Those look like normal Verdasco fhs. I don't know what you mean by hitting the side? Hitting the side of what?

I tend to think it is better to mimic the motions of a pro rather than try to hit a particular target on the ball, but that apparently works for some people.

TennisCJC
12-27-2012, 05:33 AM
It appears that Verdasco is hitting the lower outside quadrant and then hitting up and thru and across to his right - would be across to left for right handed player. Focusing on hitting the lower outside of the ball on a topspin FH is something I've done since the 70s. Yes, it works well. Even when going down the line I will still focus on hitting the lower outside and "hooking" the ball up the line but it is easier to visualize on CC shots. The contact is glancing with an element of up, thru and across (Outside to inside).

Tennis Dunce
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
do not overthink...paralysis by analysis is the bane of a tennis player. Everything will work itself out if you take 5 or 6 MORE steps to the ball then you (probably) do now.

Xizel
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I see your point. I also question if they're just aimed cross-court.

How about this behind view video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMw82k9SFU

rkelley
01-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Video verdasco forehand

I wouldn't worry about hitting the side of the ball. What I see in that Verdasco video is:

set-up semi open
outside leg behind the ball
some leg bend
shoulders turned
get the racquet head below the contact point for the ball
keep you head still and eyes on the contact point
use the kinetic chain to whip the racquet head up through the contact zone

I'd also personally add get your wrist and forearm in a neutral position and don't let the backswing go too far back. Verdasco hits the neutral position but he doesn't dwell there at all so it's hard to see. It' more pronounced in other player's swings.

The more you can rip the head up through the contact zone, the more topspin you'll get. I wouldn't worry about hitting the side of the ball.