PDA

View Full Version : Northstar at Tahoe

All Court
08-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I just came back from a tennis camp up at Northstar. It was WONDERFUL.

I got the "Tennis Lover's Special" (or instead of special, package, or something like that), which meant I got a cheap condo (but by no means not nice) within walking distance of the tennis courts, and a week of the tennis camp.

From the first moment I walked in, I could tell my money was well spent. By the first two days, you already know almost everybody there. It's a close, casual atmosphere, and everything feels very personalized.

The instruction was great as well. Although there's actually a maximum of six people on court at once (which I know, is considered to be high) you really only have four people on court at once with you. And although I went in August, if you go in June or early July I've been told that sometimes you're the only person in the camp.

That's five days of personal instruction and drilling if you go then. And you often get other clubs coming over for match experience, and there's no shortage of people that you can immediately play with.

Besides the tennis, I should also mention Lake Tahoe is a vacationer's DREAM. EVERYTHING was close to each other. I could find cheap Sea Doo rentals out on the lake, go mountain biking (Northstar is normally a ski resort, during the summer they use the trails for mountain biking) if I needed to, which was wonderful as well, or find any number of activities from kayaking to swimming.

There were also nice pools and a wonderful fitness center right next to the courts.

So if you want to bring any kids up there, it's PERFECT for outdoor recreation. I talked to some of the kids, and they loved the instruction and activities as well besides listing everything they'd done that day.

I'm certainly going again when I have time. Tahoe is absolutely wonderful.

GRANITECHIEF
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Did you get coached by Ziek Straw?

Craig Sheppard
08-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey All Court--did you go by yourself or did you go with other people to the tennis camp? This sounds awesome but I'd be going by myself rather than with others...is the setup okay for a single player to fit in? Could you give us a little more about the camp? Was it every morning, all day, just a few hours... what kinds of stuff did you do? Very interested in this!

All Court
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Granitechief - Yup! Zeke's a great guy, and was my instructor. After the clinic, you could get more advice and help if they had time (from any of the coaches there), and I was able to play with all the instructors.

Craig, do you mean if I went there with friends to the camp or if I was the only person in the clinic? I didn't go with anyone I knew, and during each clinic (sorry, I forgot to mention the normal ones are three hours long, from 9 A.M. to 12 P.M.) met a lot of great people. Of course, if you go during June/early July...it's very, very possible you're going to be the only person there, so you're completely alone.

In terms of fitting in with the people there, it's very easy. I wasn't with my own friends there, but got involved and friendly with many people immediately.

For time out there on the courts, the actual camp/clinic was three hours in the morning, monday to friday, 9 A.M. to 12 P.M.. Before or after the clinic though, there's always a court open.

The best thing was, there were always people to play with. It was really nice. It definitely wasn't crowded, you could play whenever you wanted to, but there were always people there that were really dedicated. So plenty of people if you ever needed a match.

If nobody was there (everyone was busy) which happened only once during my two weeks, then the instructors if they can will get out and hit with you or if they can't, they'll even call a club member up or somebody to play. A lot of people there have condos close to it, and they'll be there within five minutes even for a match. That was AMAZING.

I was out doing something the entire day, never a shortage of things. If you plan on going, I can give you the names of some REALLY nice restaurants, too.

I realize that three hours may seem short. But the thing is, it was extremely cheap. And you actually got a LOT more court time.

There was a "Cardio Tennis" session in the morning, which pretty much was a workout designed to get you in shape and elevate your heart rate. Each session was $15, so you had to pay for this (it wasn't part of the normal clinic) but it was two hours long and really helped me get in shape.

Then everyday, you could get out on the beautiful courts as much as you wanted to.

At night, usually from 4 P.M. to 6 P.M., there were always adult doubles and singles mixers (different skill levels, too, so if you're pretty good there are still plenty of matches) and tournaments both weekends I was there.

Craig Sheppard
08-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks a lot All Court... yeah what I meant was did you attend the camp by yourself (which you did it sounds). I was hoping that'd be the case since that's most likely the situation I'd be in. This sounds pretty cool... I used to leave in NorCal and know that area, it's just awesome. Would you mind saying how much the clinic cost, say for a week? I guess I should just check out Northstar's web site. How'd you find out about it? 3 hours sounds just perfect...I wouldn't want to play much longer than that day after day. Plus there's so much else to do there, wouldn't want to be tired!!! Thanks for the info!

P.S. What level are you about? Would 4.0s have a good time there you think?

All Court
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
No problem!

I found out about Northstar through tennisresortsonline.com, it was one of the top ones in America. I also wanted to visit a family member up in Reno (which is about 40 minutes away), and from the couple times before I went up to Tahoe, I fell in love with it. It's in the top 25 resorts of TENNIS magazine and tennisresortsonline.com, and was voted #1 best tennis camp value in USA Today, too. I found out why. :D

I'm still in love with it.

It's pretty cheap, too, for a tennis camp. The five day camp for 3.0-4.5 players (when I was there though, most people were solid 3.5s to 4.0s, and if you're under or above they still fit you in really well). They had a "Tennis Lover's Special" for me when I went, but that isn't on the website anymore at the moment. After the camp fee, the special was $69 per night for a NICE condo within walking distance of everything. One bedroom (bed fits two), a bath, kitchen, dining and living room, extra mattresses if you need them, and full access to everything. Pretty good, I'd say.

Yup, I'm about a 4.0. It was a blast for me, and most adults there were my level, with some above and some under. Shouldn't be a problem for you. :D

All Court
08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Ah, I'm sorry! I think I forgot to mention that the normal five day camp is about $300. Cheaper than anywhere else, sorry I even missed one of your main questions.

Tennis Psycho
08-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Do they have camps for kids?

All Court
08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, I haven't been on much.

Yup! There are camps for kids. The junior program looked great, there's a guy named Malcolm who takes care of the junior programs. From what I saw of the junior camps, there was a LOT of drilling. Instruction was sort of incorporated into the drills rather than directly telling you.

For example, most of the drills were built completely crosscourt. There were four kids in the junior camp I was watching, and he'd have them all out on the court trying to pass each other crosscourt or sustain baseline rallies crosscourt. Occasionally they'd switch to down the line, but they were attempting to incorporate directional control and crosscourt rallies into people's games.

Well, I didn't see too much besides that (I watched for an hour some days, then went off to find a match or relax), but I can tell you that every single kid got a LOT better. All of them.

Also, they had neighboring clubs from Reno (pretty close to Tahoe) come over. Two of them, to be exact, with adults coming over with one of the clubs that I got to play. Lots of juniors, so you could get competition experience.

Junior camp looked great. All the kids had fun, and were really close by the time it was over. From what I watched, I mostly saw a lot of crosscourt and DTL drills, but the kids told me their strokes improved a lot as well.

I'm not sure on anything else in the junior program though. You probably want to email the camp itself (search for "northstar tennis camp" on google).

Geezer Guy
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Craig - for whatever it's worth, I've attended a number of camps, and always gone by myself. I've never had problems mixing in with the others there. It's usually other singles, or maybe couples. Either way, folks are usually very friendly. If you have a half-way decent game and half-way decent personality, you won't have any problems.