PDA

View Full Version : Some hitting

FEDERERNADAL13
12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
Hey guys! So, I decided to film some of my tennis the other day, and wanted to know what you think.

Highlights:
-The first couple of minutes are more of a warm up, so if you're not going to watch the whole thing maybe skip to the middle (like 8:00 or so) :)
-There are slowmotion ground strokes at 1:16 and 8:05
-Serving starts at 18:58
-Slow motion serving is at 19:11
-Match/Point play comes shortly after serving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NqE-owuss

Alright, GO! Compare, Critique, Compliment, whatever. Do your worst TTW!

luvforty
12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
decent game... a few suggestions -

1) i know this is casual hitting, but to progress you need more intensity.... and that goes for your hitting partner also.. play some points at a minimum so there is something at steak.

2) I like your FH, and the BH slice.... the BH topspin is armed... from the power position after the racket drop, make sure that you maintain pressure a the right arm pit so that the arm and the right chest is connected, this way you can rotate to generate power and you will have much better control of the shot...don't worry about staying sideways... that's an obsolete technique.

3) ground strokes are only 30% of the game... yet it took the entire video.. honestly there was nothing to see after the first minute..... show some volleys, approaches, smashes (that's about 25% of the game)... and some serves and returns.... that is 45% of what determines wins / losses.

bhallic24
12-31-2012, 07:30 AM
do i get to see where the ball goes?

luvforty
12-31-2012, 07:32 AM
sorry, you did show some serves... lol... the groundstrokes part is so long i lost patience :)

the serve... you are pushing the racket thru the ball, instead of whipping the racket head..

try a couple of analogies -

1) if you think throwing, you should be throwing the racket HEAD, not the entire racket.

2) if you think hammering, you can imagine hammering a nail right into a piece of 2x4 at the contact point..

hopefully these thoughts can change your body language of the serve.

rkelley
12-31-2012, 07:38 AM
I can't see where the ball goes, so it's hard to say much.

FEDERERNADAL13
12-31-2012, 08:44 AM
decent game... a few suggestions -

1) i know this is casual hitting, but to progress you need more intensity.... and that goes for your hitting partner also.. play some points at a minimum so there is something at steak.

2) I like your FH, and the BH slice.... the BH topspin is armed... from the power position after the racket drop, make sure that you maintain pressure a the right arm pit so that the arm and the right chest is connected, this way you can rotate to generate power and you will have much better control of the shot...don't worry about staying sideways... that's an obsolete technique.

3) ground strokes are only 30% of the game... yet it took the entire video.. honestly there was nothing to see after the first minute..... show some volleys, approaches, smashes (that's about 25% of the game)... and some serves and returns.... that is 45% of what determines wins / losses.

1) Shortly after serving practice the match play starts, and as well many of the points after the 8 minute mark were a part of a 10 point tie break. I play matches very often, and play ten point tie breaks a lot as well.

2) I agree that I arm my arm too much... Could you possibly explain more on how to improve it? I often fall back to the slice because my topspin backhand is not as effective in match play.

3) You already addressed this later :)

FEDERERNADAL13
12-31-2012, 08:45 AM
do i get to see where the ball goes?

Sorry, but the way the mount worked for me it was either only focus on my half of the court, or miss half of the shots that were hit (if they were a little away from the baseline). :)

Sorry about that!

FEDERERNADAL13
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
sorry, you did show some serves... lol... the groundstrokes part is so long i lost patience :)

the serve... you are pushing the racket thru the ball, instead of whipping the racket head..

try a couple of analogies -

1) if you think throwing, you should be throwing the racket HEAD, not the entire racket.

2) if you think hammering, you can imagine hammering a nail right into a piece of 2x4 at the contact point..

hopefully these thoughts can change your body language of the serve.

The biggest problem I see with my serve is in my "trophy" position. My arm is far lower than in any pro's trophy stance.

I'll focus on "whipping" the head and see what happens the next time I hit :)

luvforty
12-31-2012, 08:58 AM
the 1hbh-

in the days of the 65in wood, few hit that shot, the slice dominated.

in the days of 85in graphite, edberg, mcenroe, sampras, guga... the racket hits more thru the ball, and the conventional wisdom is - 'stay sideways thru impact'.... now that may work for somebody... but staying sideways thru impact would require a bigger turn in the backswing, thus longer set up time... and if the coil in the backswing is not achieved, you have no option but to arm the ball forward.

now we have better equipment, 95in minimum... the same theory of FH hitting across the ball can be applied to the 1hbh. like I said earlier, make sure the upper arm is connected to the right chest thru impact, so you don't rely on the arm muscle.. you rotate clockwise thru impact and you will feel solid impact even against the most vicious ball coming in.... and while your core rotates clockwise, your hand can passively let the racket drop and natually make the low to high swing path (I prefer this way for baseline rallies), or you can actively engage the forearm to exaggerate the windshield wiping. (I prefer this way for hitting dipping passing shots).

hitting this way also means you don't need a big turn in the backswing... just experiment a little.. you will find out that even with a minimal backswing, you can still hit solid shots... this is a great advantage when the ball comes fast.... watch wawrinka, mauresmo, schiavone, dimitrov... they all hit this way... notice how much they open up thru the shot.

luvforty
12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
your bh slice...... it looks decent but you can make it better... Federer's is a great model to copy..

notice how he waits for the ball to come to him and really throws out the wrist as if he wanted to cut the ball in half.

imagine your upper arm, forearm, racket face all on the same plane, and you are gonna throw this heavy plane downward and forward at the same time.

the downward throw will help maintaining the face angle, while the forward part produces penetration.

indoor court, a good slice will be just as penetrating as the topspin drive.

FEDERERNADAL13
01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Bump.... 270 views and 9 comments?

Come on people :)

Cheetah
01-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Why are you so lazy?

FEDERERNADAL13
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Why are you so lazy?

What do you mean?

Cheetah
01-01-2013, 12:23 PM
It looks like your goal is to get back to the middle of the court so that you can stand there flat footed and relax. Then when you do run you run just fast so enough so that you get there at the same time as the ball.

I'd say more than half of your misses were because of this.

Cheetah
01-01-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVwPRKh1Mdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5PaS-8DRs

FEDERERNADAL13
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
It looks like your goal is to get back to the middle of the court so that you can stand there flat footed and relax. Then when you do run you run just fast so enough so that you get there at the same time as the ball.

I'd say more than half of your misses were because of this.

Ok, so I stand around too much? I can fix that in a hurry :)

boojay
01-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Fantastic camera angle!

This is hardly all encompassing as I didn't watch the entire video, but I like how compact your forehand is. Would like to see more follow through on the backhand, otherwise, very nice.

Relinquis
01-07-2013, 02:41 AM
lazy on the backhand. it seems that you hit a lot of slice when you have time to hit topspin or drive from the backhand, because it is easier.

slice is useful, but not if it is your "go-to" backhand shot.

Bobby Jr
01-07-2013, 03:42 AM
In addition to what others have posted above you're falling backward off the majority of your forehands - even short ones you should be on-top of. See these two pics - which are typical of most in the video.
http://i.imgur.com/LkSPd.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/0Wb1s.jpg

On your backhand slice you step or veer away from all of them. Again - most of these you should be positioned better and, ideally, leaning into.

Additionally - re: the way you hit - all those shots of your partners which go out >> hit them. If they're in the air >> hit them. You're wasting all those opportunities to practice launching the racquet head/hitting on the rise etc.

TomT
01-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Hey guys! So, I decided to film some of my tennis the other day, and wanted to know what you think.

Highlights:
-The first couple of minutes are more of a warm up, so if you're not going to watch the whole thing maybe skip to the middle (like 8:00 or so) :)
-There are slowmotion ground strokes at 1:16 and 8:05
-Serving starts at 18:58
-Slow motion serving is at 19:11
-Match/Point play comes shortly after serving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NqE-owuss

Alright, GO! Compare, Critique, Compliment, whatever. Do your worst TTW!Thanks for posting the vid. I enjoyed it, but would like it a lot more if you put the camera a little lower (but still centered behind you) to capture the whole court, so we can see ball trajectory and how effective your shots are.

I can't offer any critiques or technical recommendations, just a few observations. On the whole, your strokes/shots look good to me (fluid and you make good contact ... around 4.0 level? ... just guessing), but not as consistent as they might be. Your serve looks fluid, but it looks like you're foot faulting a lot. Some good approaches and volleys, imo.

I think you have a fairly nice game now with the potential to make it a lot better.

Post more vids. :)

FEDERERNADAL13
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Fantastic camera angle!

This is hardly all encompassing as I didn't watch the entire video, but I like how compact your forehand is. Would like to see more follow through on the backhand, otherwise, very nice.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree about the backhand, it's something I've been working on since filming :)

FEDERERNADAL13
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
lazy on the backhand. it seems that you hit a lot of slice when you have time to hit topspin or drive from the backhand, because it is easier.

slice is useful, but not if it is your "go-to" backhand shot.

Thanks for the comments!

I slice a lot because it bites low, spins to the side, and messes with my opponents rhythm. It's a good defensive shot when I want to slow down the point, and I have a few different slices I use.

I am gaining confidence in my topspin backhand, but it's taking time. Once it becomes more effective (it's good but doesn't put me at an advantage as much as the slice) I'll use it more :)

FEDERERNADAL13
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
In addition to what others have posted above you're falling backward off the majority of your forehands - even short ones you should be on-top of. See these two pics - which are typical of most in the video.
http://i.imgur.com/LkSPd.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/0Wb1s.jpg

On your backhand slice you step or veer away from all of them. Again - most of these you should be positioned better and, ideally, leaning into.

Additionally - re: the way you hit - all those shots of your partners which go out >> hit them. If they're in the air >> hit them. You're wasting all those opportunities to practice launching the racquet head/hitting on the rise etc.

I know what you mean! :) I watched the video and tried to stay forward the next time I played. I think it's better, but I'm going to still work on it.

For the backhand slice, I agree about the positioning. I usually step to the side because I find it gives me more sidespin, but it does lose power sometimes.

Thanks for the comment!

FEDERERNADAL13
01-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for posting the vid. I enjoyed it, but would like it a lot more if you put the camera a little lower (but still centered behind you) to capture the whole court, so we can see ball trajectory and how effective your shots are.

I can't offer any critiques or technical recommendations, just a few observations. On the whole, your strokes/shots look good to me (fluid and you make good contact ... around 4.0 level? ... just guessing), but not as consistent as they might be. Your serve looks fluid, but it looks like you're foot faulting a lot. Some good approaches and volleys, imo.

I think you have a fairly nice game now with the potential to make it a lot better.

Post more vids.

Thanks for the comments! I'm going to change the angle the next time I film, as I got a few complaints about the angle. :) I'm not sure if I'm a 4.0, or better or worse, as I'm Canadian and we don't have the NTRP system here.

Bobby Jr
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
...For the backhand slice, I agree about the positioning. I usually step to the side because I find it gives me more sidespin, but it does lose power sometimes.
I think stepping away doesn't add anything much to the stroke... It looks like you slightly miss-judge where the ball is coming and then end up crowded and therefore also a little front on as you start the stroke.

See this very good video of Federer just hitting slice backhands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE-k1QwZfg). There are some good tips to be seen there - especially how he has his weight on his front foot basically every time when he makes contact. Also that he gives himself room. Since he judges the distance to his body so well he gets that cross-cut action on it. He's assertive/forceful on his whereas you're almost backing away from them which will undoubtedly make them more floaty and have bite less when they bounce.

It's interesting but slice backhands are so poor on average compared to forehands and topspin backhands. Perhaps it's because so few people recognise the huge value of having a great slice compared to the floaty slices the majority of players have.

FEDERERNADAL13
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I think stepping away doesn't add anything much to the stroke... It looks like you slightly miss-judge where the ball is coming and then end up crowded and therefore also a little front on as you start the stroke.

See this very good video of Federer just hitting slice backhands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE-k1QwZfg). There are some good tips to be seen there - especially how he has his weight on his front foot basically every time when he makes contact. Also that he gives himself room. Since he judges the distance to his body so well he gets that cross-cut action on it. He's assertive/forceful on his whereas you're almost backing away from them which will undoubtedly make them more floaty and have bite less when they bounce.

It's interesting but slice backhands are so poor on average compared to forehands and topspin backhands. Perhaps it's because so few people recognise the huge value of having a great slice compared to the floaty slices the majority of players have.

I'll certainly try it tonight when I play :)