PDA

View Full Version : groundstrokes: hitting the ball on the rise

barnes1172
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
How important is this?

I made a conscious effort to do this recently, and I noticed several things:

1) Against an opponent who hits soft shots, I was able to generate much more pace than if I waited for the ball to rise up, then come down

2) I had to adjust my timing, so as not to hit the ball into the net

3) I was able to hit a lot more winners.

Agassi was famous for this, right? Also, Federer?

watungga
01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Try doing it in a match with $$ bets.

See if its still effective down the wire.

slowfox
01-03-2013, 10:01 AM
If you have the timing to hit on the rise, great. I've noticed the ball feels lighter upon impact (on my racquet, that is). And hitting on the rise takes time away from your opponent. Overall, it's a good thing. If you can do it...

frenzy
01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Learning to hit on the rise has many advantages:
1) Takes time from your opponent to recover
2) You can stay close to the baseline if you get deep balls so you don't get pushed to the back so soon
3) It will learn you to recognize short balls sooner, you will step in earlier where you previously were waiting for the ball to come to you

It is still difficult to do because timing is different then a normal stroke, just make sure that you:

1) Hit good in front of you
2) Bend your knees extra on low balls
3) Do not use it all the time: sometimes its better to let the short ball rise over the net height to increase winner speed rather then "pulling" the ball over the net

Good luck!

dominikk1985
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
start doing that against short balls of the opponent like those

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/5862/shortball.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/shortball.jpg/)

if you hit those standing a foot inside the baseline you will create a lot of pressure but still keep the errors down. to hit every ball on the rise like agassi you will need great timing, footwork and conditioning. so don't do it against deep balls. better pick your spots to step in as a rec player.

again I think ferrer is a good example to emulate regarding tactics since he doesn't have those genius tools (fed can ignore all rules of "directionals" and play the oddest low percentage shots (like an inside in shot against a too centered CC shot) but we cannot).

against a deep forcing shot he will move back but as soon anything lands near the service line he will step in.

this is high percentage tennis but still forcing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN16WPJ2k7U

this here not so much:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fh0nVqsFdI

slowfox
01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
On the rise doesn't necessarily mean you'll be half-volleying. Any impact before the ball begins to descend is hitting on the rise.

That Agassi example ^^ is extreme.

01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
On the rise doesn't necessarily mean you'll be half-volleying. Any impact before the ball begins to descend is hitting on the rise.

That Agassi example ^^ is extreme.

I divide it out by on the rise, at the top, and on the drop.

Imo it is lower % to try it on more vertical bounces, and high % against
harder flatter shots, but try excessive topsin doing this.
Seems to me the more vertical is way tougher to time, where as the other you
can match the swing plane more to the bounce.

TennisCJC
01-07-2013, 06:36 AM
I have never been totally comfortable playing on the rise and use it sparingly. Basically, I only use it when I must. I prefer to hit at the peak or just past the peak of the bounce - more time to hit, ball is moving slower, easier to time and easier for me to add pace.

I will occasionally use it on a BH slice approach, return of a kick serve, or on a ball deep to the baseline. Of course, I have to do it on half volleys.

LeeD
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Hitting on the rise works great for guys with compact controlled swings.
For longer strokes, it usually means more mishits.
On the rise gives you added power, which you must control with lower trajectory or more topspin.
If you can do it, great. Most players have trouble making it consistent.

magnut
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Its important when you get older as you shrink the amount of court you need to cover and are that much closer to the net when the opportunity arises to move forward.

It works great for younger players as well if you are more of a tactical attacking player.

On clay ...back up a few feet.