PDA

View Full Version : Will Delpo ever get rid of k-factor

thecrusher956
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Is he ever going to switch from that stick? Why dont they just add a new pj?

corners
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Why dont they just add a new pj?

LOL, this the biggest mystery in the long history of paintjobs.

augustobt
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Wasn't he practicing with a Steam/Juice paintjob last year?

paul_tennis
01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
His facebook page posted a photo a couples of hours ago practicing with the KFactor paint job at Melbourne Park...

Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453870144666482&set=a.248553415198157.66691.245291448857687&type=1

El Diablo
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
people complain when players use paintjobs.....and they complain when they don't.

JGads
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm a firm believer that it's simply superstition. He hurt his wrist with the Juice paintjob, said 'never again.' Might even be losing a lot of money but he doesn't care. If true, I dig it.

ec51
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
people complain when players use paintjobs.....and they complain when they don't.

That's assuming he's actually using a kfactor...?

augustobt
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Why he would use a paint job of a stick that they don't even sell anymore?

T.P3D0R
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM

I've seen claims on these boards that they are one of the classic hyper frames?

Prostaffer
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Little known fact...there are only two of those sticks left in the world.

He has both of them.

Geology_Rocks!
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I've seen somewhere that he has only 3 or 4 of those left.

I guess he will be forced to switch eventually.

db10s
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I've seen somewhere that he has only 3 or 4 of those left.

I guess he will be forced to switch eventually.

That will start "THE DECLINE OF DELPO"

Vegas,ade
01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Funny I have 3 or 4 of them new collecting dust, I'll bet he would love them

lim
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I've seen claims on these boards that they are one of the classic hyper frames?

hps 95 iirc.

jaydog23
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Wilson probably knows that Fed's signature on a racquet is worth around three top 20 players' endorsements; maybe they don't really care about the poor guy....

Doubles
01-11-2013, 07:52 AM

I take it you've never seen Victor Hanescu play?

heninfan99
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
All iterations of the six.ones have their pocket of fans. Wilson should at least keep making the K and the BLX(v1) It's not like they won't sell well, right? Give me a Hyper over the Amplifeels please....

thecrusher956
01-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Haha, I have. But there is a huge difference between delpo and hanescu. Don't see why wilson cant give their second highest ranked male player a new pj instead of sporting an old one:confused:

Meriko
01-12-2013, 06:40 AM
To my knowledge, Delpo uses the K95 paint-job purely out of superstition. He won his first and only Slam with that PJ, and for his very short stint with the BLX PJ, he most likely just couldn't get comfortable with it because if anything didn't go right, he most likely attributed it to the fact he didn't have his "lucky" PJ, including his wrist injury.

augustobt
01-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Haha, I have. But there is a huge difference between delpo and hanescu. Don't see why wilson cant give their second highest ranked male player a new pj instead of sporting an old one:confused:

This!

Doesn't make sense a top 10 player don't sell rackets!

thecrusher956
01-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Was the BLX just a pj?

Blaxican10s
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Del Po is the new Pete Sampras... 10 years from now he'll still be using them :)

tata
01-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Maybe he only uses the magic racquet that won him the USO 09. Superstition?

thecrusher956
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I still don't get why he has a problem switching pj's if even rafa can do that

double barrels
01-14-2013, 06:46 AM

i broke a 18x20 k factor out of rage back in December, cracked slightly on an overhead, its time was up

those rackets are da bomb!

Mick3391
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM

Why should he, in my opinion the K-Factor 95, which I use despite my moniker is the greatest racquet ever.

THESEXPISTOL
01-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Ncode 95 owns the Kfactor 95.

Rabbit
01-17-2013, 05:38 AM

Tommy Haas played with the gunmetal 200G until he couldn't get them any more. He said the new paint affected the playability. I've been told that paint can affect the frame. Glossy paint is stiffer than matte paint.

I would imagine DelPo's reluctance to change frames may be largely attributable to the wrist surgery and year off he had to take. He may blame the change in frames to his wrist malady.

Legend of Borg
01-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Probably hoping to catch that lightning in a bottle from the USO final.

bluetrain4
01-17-2013, 06:26 AM

I'm surprised Wilson doesn't force him to get a paint job as part of his endorsement contract.

NickJ
01-18-2013, 04:40 AM

There it is.

Nostradamus
01-18-2013, 04:55 AM

It is like this. some guys feel that New paint job affects how the frame plays even though it is exact same K-factor underneath. another pro that feels this way is Tommy Haas who didn't like the new Dunlop PJ's and told the company, the racket feels more STIFF with the new PJ. LOL

So my question is I supposed that is not a violation of Wilson contract or Juan Martin just doesn't give a darn. Wilson wants all pros to use new PJ's.

Also is this K-factor that good or is better than all the new rackets from Wilson ? I think Roger Federer has actually switched to NEW stick.

jwbarrientos
01-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Would be nice to ask him about that

thecrusher956
01-19-2013, 11:25 AM
There will be a time, I hope, that Wilson forces him to switch.

Drrjjj
01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm also assuming it is superstition since he also won the 09 open with the k factor

thecrusher956
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Wait, Fed has literally switched? Thought it was just pj..

ohcaptain
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Even if you are saying it like a joke.... I guess you're correct :)

ohcaptain
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
About this delpo issue I must say I played with a k factor six one 95 just like his only with 16*18 and later bought the exact "same" from the blx series thinking "heck, they're the same", and found out one really notices the difference, being the k factor much more to my like

Blitzball
01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Was the BLX just a pj?

I don't think so because the string pattern was 18/20, just like the BLX Pro Tour. Which is odd to me, because he surely could've used his original frame with a pj.

vsbabolat
01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't think so because the string pattern was 18/20, just like the BLX Pro Tour. Which is odd to me, because he surely could've used his original frame with a pj.

The BLX Tour was a paint job. Del Potro uses 18x20 in his K95 paint job.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgirl4858/7132611791/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Virtua Tennis
01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
About this delpo issue I must say I played with a k factor six one 95 just like his only with 16*18 and later bought the exact "same" from the blx series thinking "heck, they're the same", and found out one really notices the difference, being the k factor much more to my like

Yeah blx is different from k factor but you're not a pro. Pro's get their old racquets with new paint jobs it's just a superstition that del potro will not even change to the new colors of any racquet.

ellipticality_224
01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I bet he probably just really doesn't like change to anything in his setup. But can't new one be had at tw or any other wilson dealer anyway? Its not like he's endorsing an old frame that wilson will not make any money off of.

dmcb101
01-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Anyone else see the new steam PJ (96, 99, 99s, 105s) that was put on his stick? supposedly it had his name on the throat and everything. I thought he would already be endorsing it but I guess not.

Kal-El 34
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
rumor has it he is shopping around other brands lately... there has been chatter of this at my club lately... anyone else hear this or am i mistaken?

dmcb101
01-30-2013, 06:19 AM
rumor has it he is shopping around other brands lately... there has been chatter of this at my club lately... anyone else hear this or am i mistaken?

I have not heard this, but does not mean it is not true. I would be surprised if he left wilson as he could easily just keep playing with the six.one 95 with different paint jobs.

Kal-El 34
01-30-2013, 07:24 AM
not really doing wilson much help marketing by using a PJ of an older version of their rackets though... you never know

MattPrevidi
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Last year I had the pleasure of stringing at Indian Wells. The running joke was that the woman from Wilson was offering all of the stringers a new Baiardo machine to anyone with the balls to steal the remaining kfactors Delpo had. I thought about it, stood next to the guy, sized him up, and then came back down to reality......

Seth
01-31-2013, 07:51 PM

He should join his compatriots (Nalbandian, Monaco) and start swinging a Yonex.

Blitzball
02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
He should join his compatriots (Nalbandian, Monaco) and start swinging a Yonex.

I'd be very surprised to see that.

dmcb101
02-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I'd be very surprised to see that.

Me too. Id like to see him use the six.one 95 PJ or the new Steam PJ. That seems more reasonable!

thecrusher956
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I think 2014 is probablly the latest this k-factor thing is going to go on. Wilson should make a move, surprised they haven't yet.

frinton
02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Last year I had the pleasure of stringing at Indian Wells. The running joke was that the woman from Wilson was offering all of the stringers a new Baiardo machine to anyone with the balls to steal the remaining kfactors Delpo had. I thought about it, stood next to the guy, sized him up, and then came back down to reality......

That's a funny story. Can you actually confirm the guy is with only a few Raquets left? And how badly are they beaten down? I am just wondering, 'cause if the rumors are true and he only he 3 or so frames and he's been playing them for such along time already, then they must

Look beaten up like sh***
Must really be long living

...would mean to me, if a pro can use his same 3 sticks for several years, I can use my few sticks for the next 20+ years, seeing that I play considerably less ;-)

The Meat
02-06-2013, 03:58 AM
That's a funny story. Can you actually confirm the guy is with only a few Raquets left? And how badly are they beaten down? I am just wondering, 'cause if the rumors are true and he only he 3 or so frames and he's been playing them for such along time already, then they must

Look beaten up like sh***
Must really be long living

...would mean to me, if a pro can use his same 3 sticks for several years, I can use my few sticks for the next 20+ years, seeing that I play considerably less ;-)

It's a possibility that he had 20+ K-95 racquets from the initial release and has been switching them out, Change of a bumper guard and a few buffs of paint and lacquer and the racquets are good to go until they eventually become dead.

Prostaffer
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
It's a possibility that he had 20+ K-95 racquets from the initial release and has been switching them out, Change of a bumper guard and a few buffs of paint and lacquer and the racquets are good to go until they eventually become dead.

As stated before...he is down to two or three.

thecrusher956
02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, at least we know that the switch will happen eventually. Maybe next year

MAXXply
02-14-2013, 03:00 PM
I know it's just retail and non-pro stock, but why wouldn't Delpo simply buy up the remaining K-Factors that are still plentiful and available on that Canadian racket guy's auction site shop??

lidoazndiabloboi
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
I know it's just retail and non-pro stock, but why wouldn't Delpo simply buy up the remaining K-Factors that are still plentiful and available on that Canadian racket guy's auction site shop??

because he doesnt use the K-Factor 95, he uses either the Classic 95 or the Hyper 6.1 95. Not sure which one though

babolat king
02-15-2013, 04:49 AM
He could be the first 99S user on tour! Imagine the spin potential with his huge cuts, crazy!

Wuppy
04-30-2013, 03:16 AM
No wonder I don't see Del Potro smashing his racquets.

Lukhas
04-30-2013, 04:34 AM
He'll play them until they're dead and long beaten after their death. Very superstitious guy indeed.

heninfan99
05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I thought the rumor was that he's playing with a Hyper 6.1 under the paint job?

hersito
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
As I heard here in argentina he doesn't like the BLX technology. Her tried many different frames from wilson, not only that but they created the Juice paint job for him, argentinean flag colors plus Boca Jr colors (his football team) mixed, but he tried many blx frames and he didn't like them, he picked one, played with it for a while and got the wrist injury, so he thinks is the blx that doesn't give him the feel that he likes and also injures him. So he decided to stick to the old paint job and racquet and loose money. Wilson will love to have a frame that he likes but there is none he likes so far besides the K- factor.

Lukhas
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
He's just very superstitious. He got the injury with the non K-Factor PJ, but he won the USO with the K-Factor PJ. That's the reason why he still plays with it. I can't see why Wilson would not create a non-BLX stick for him, Babolat creates non Woofer/Cortex sticks for Nadal/Tsonga (Tsonga's stick is a bit more recent though).

martini1
05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
The big question is would Wilson continue to supply him with the K95 pj sticks. Eventually he would crack a few more and run out?

Lukhas
05-05-2013, 02:00 PM
The big question is would Wilson continue to supply him with the K95 pj sticks. Eventually he would crack a few more and run out?
Wilson doesn't send him more racquets. They even tried to make racquets up to his specs. But he doesn't want them. He only has a few left.

heninfan99
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Did he ever try the Japanese release Kei Nishikori stick? It looks pretty sweet. :)

Wilson doesn't send him more racquets. They even tried to make racquets up to his specs. But he doesn't want them. He only has a few left.

therecanbeonlyone
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
@alex_willis: RT @TheSliceTweets: Del Potro met Pope Francis today and gave him a racket http://t.co/NBJuEgtlup

This just popped up on twitter. So, OP's question is answered...he did get rid of at leastt this one KFactor. However, it leads to other questions, namely, how can he just I've one away if his stock is so low?

Lukhas
05-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Because even if he's very superstitious, he's also pretty religious and is an actual believer (well he's from Argentina after all). So I can see him giving one of his to the Pope. But I also think it means he is forced to switch his frames right now and that it's in the works. Or so I hope for him. Kinda sad to see him sticking with likely worn out frames because of the superstition behind the paint-job.

frinton
05-16-2013, 04:41 AM
Because even if he's very superstitious, he's also pretty religious and is an actual believer (well he's from Argentina after all). So I can see him giving one of his to the Pope. But I also think it means he is forced to switch his frames right now and that it's in the works. Or so I hope for him. Kinda sad to see him sticking with likely worn out frames because of the superstition behind the paint-job.

might not have been one of his sticks, but just a regular one:confused:

therecanbeonlyone
05-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Looks like it was one of his real sticks...actually it was one of THE sticks. Now it becomes one of THEE sticks.

@BenRothenberg: Per @jorgeviale, the racquet del Potro gave the pope yesterday is the one he used to win championship point of 2009 US Open vs Federer.

syke
05-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Looks like it was one of his real sticks...actually it was one of THE sticks. Now it becomes one of THEE sticks.

@BenRothenberg: Per @jorgeviale, the racquet del Potro gave the pope yesterday is the one he used to win championship point of 2009 US Open vs Federer.

God Stick!!!!

Carolina Racquet
05-16-2013, 08:21 AM
We're getting too far into the weeds... Wilson still pays him to stencil the big "W" and the average retail buyer is oblivious to the difference between a K factor and BLX, etc.

And I doubt he's down to 3-4 frames. Wilson probably has him covered with an ample supply. He's just getting paid much less for not promoting the most recent lineup.

He's still a good ambassador for their brand, especially in South America.

HRB
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
We're getting too far into the weeds... Wilson still pays him to stencil the big "W" and the average retail buyer is oblivious to the difference between a K factor and BLX, etc.

And I doubt he's down to 3-4 frames. Wilson probably has him covered with an ample supply. He's just getting paid much less for not promoting the most recent lineup.

This just sounds the most realistic. I'm sure Wilson is kinda annoyed at his superstitions but at the end of the day casual fans know Delpo uses Wilson, and ultimately brand loyalty is what they are looking for.

I can't count the number of recreational players using retail beginner intermediate models happily making statements like "I use Wilson like Serena and Roger" or "Head like Maria"...having fun, enjoying the game.

Racquet Nerds like us get all caught up in the details...I wouldn't have it any other way though! :twisted:

フェデラー
05-16-2013, 09:49 AM

It's not that Wilson can't provide him with more rackets, it's that he is only using the rackets he used to win the USO.