PDA

View Full Version : Pros using tweener rackets?

Ace of Aces
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
I am wondering how pros use rackets such as pure drives, aeropros and dunlop 500s and still keep the ball in the court? I know they often use full poly in these rackets but, even with full poly these still feel like rocket launchers to me. I know that they add weight but wouldn't this make them even more powerful? I use a semi-western forehand with a lot of topspin, but I can use pure storm ltd. blx ps90 type rackets much more effectively.

Thanks in advance to any who can give me advice in taming these cannons.

Davis Cup Fan
01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
They dont use those actually racquets. Their racquets are customs with a paint job.

Ace of Aces
01-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I know that many are paint jobs but not all of them. Rafa actually uses a older model APD. And roddick used a older model pure drive leaded up.

oldschoolrules
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree that there are many professional and other high level players using, at least as a platform, the same "tweeners" that are available to the masses at retail. In my opinion, their successful use of these frames is primarily due to the following three factors:

1) They grew up playing with "tweener" racquets so their strokes were developed and fine-tuned using same;
2) Customization (re: weight/balance) and, in many cases, very frequent stringing at optimum tensions for their games; and
3) Skill, practice (practice, practice, ...), physical and mental conditioning, etc.

Not to say that you, personally, shouldn't continue to use a heavy, thinner-beamed, smaller head frame - if that is what you are most comfortable playing with. I can guarantee you that most (if not all) of the players at the upper tier of the sport can play a pretty respectable game with just any frame in their hands but, instead, they use what works best for them - whether its Fed with his 90-square-inch-more-traditional model or Nadal with his 100-square-inch-higher-tech job. The bottom line, however, is that anyone, at any level, can successfully use one of these "rocket launchers" if they actually take the time to work with it until they find the right fit or set-up.