PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Selection

Mark Oakley
08-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Alright, I could use a little help selecting the proper racquet. I am considered to be a 2.5 level player, but will be moving up shortly. Many have recommended that I play with something between 105-110 and approximately 9.8 oz., with a balance of 0 to 5pts head heavy. I have demoed a couple of these and currently play a racquet that fits this category, and find that I over power it and can not get the control that I want. This weekend my instructor had me play with a Wilson N Six-One 95. I had much more control, but found the balance and weight to be just a touch off for me. It was much better than an oversize, I even noticed that on off-center hits, I didn't feel it torque as much. Here is what I think would work best for me....
27" long
97-102" headsize
10.8-12.5 ounces
1-5 points headlight

I am considering....
Wilson NPro 98
Wilson NSurge X
Wilson NSurge
Head Flexpoint Instinct
Head Flexpoint Radical MP
Babolat Aero Tour Midplus
Babolat AeroPro Drive
Babolat ZDrive Tour
Babolat Pure Control Zylon 360
Babolat Pure Storm Team
Dunlop Mi Fil 300

I know that I will not be able to Demo all of these....only the Wilsons and the Head Flexpoint Radical MP....so if any of you have any recommendations, or experience with these racquets, please let me know. Also, if you have any further recommendations, or comments for me....please let 'em rip. I am really excited about getting serious with Tennis. I will be playing a club singles and doubles league this fall, plus 1-2 lessons a week, and pick-up games with my wife. I expect to play 4-6 times a week, with a lot of drills when I can. I am addicted and can't get enough.

smittysan89
08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
i would try the Flex Instinct

azak
08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Try Bobolat Pure Drive...

But who knows... Im a 0.25 player who plays since 3 month ago and I use an nCode Six-One 95 :P

Andy Roddick
08-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Get the N sixone 95. I am like a 3-3.5 player and im gettin one of those soon. They are very comfortable and feels GREAT in your hands. Consider Pure drive, aero drive,

TennisPlayer11
08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
babolat pure storm

Mark Oakley
08-22-2005, 07:22 AM
I just thought I would add a bit of information....

I would like a racquet that is very easy to control, play and has a little power to it. I like to get up close and volley or lob when I get the chance, I do play a pretty decent baseline game. I liked the N Six One 95, but felt like it lacked a touch of power and feel....not too far off at all thought. This N Six One 95 had also been customized to be a touch more head light and heavier on the swing weight which could account for it.

Also, please give a little information regarding your recommendation....I would like to know what you think about the racquets as well.

azak
08-22-2005, 07:43 AM
I have an nSix-One 95 and I can tell you, if you quit that customization of that racket, you will get exactly what you're asking for.

But I repeat you, try out a Pure Drive

Mark Oakley
08-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Found out, one of the ladies here at UCA has a Pure Drive....I am going to try it out tommorrow. :mrgreen:

Viper
08-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Pure Drive

Mark Oakley
08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
For those throwing the Pure Drives out there....

Which one....Pure Drive Team Standard or Team Plus.

If I were to go with a Pure Drive, I am leaning toward the Team Standard since it seems a touch more forgiving....any thoughts on these?

Also, anyone tried the Dunlop Mi Fil300? Kinda curious about it.

smittysan89
08-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Mi Fil from what i have heard is a bust and yes the standard would be better for you

Mark Oakley
08-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Ok, I made up my mind. I got to play the Bab. Pure Drive Standard, and Wilson NPro. I went with the NSix-One 95. I don't know if I just got used to it, or if I really just like it. The Bab. was just a little overpowered and didn't work as well at the net(not to say that it was a bad racquet at all) and the NPro didn't have the stability I was looking for. So, I ordered two NSix-One 95s, some ProStaff elite shoes and a bunch of other clothes and accessories from Wilson. I got a good deal from Wilson(through my coach), so I stuck with them all across the board.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion. It really did help a lot.