PDA

View Full Version : Why do O3 racquets cost so much if they have huge holes in them?

DX_Psycho
08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
i'd imagine it would use less resources to make a racquet with holes in it than not. 250 for one of those monsters is a huge ripoff if you ask me.

timmyboy
08-21-2005, 09:48 PM
yep. get them at tourneys. or wait for their prices to go down. it's a marketing scam though. what'd you expect? low prices?

DX_Psycho
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
racquets are cheaper when they're sold at tourneys?

charles_boey
08-22-2005, 12:48 AM
why do u think racket companines come up with crappy words like "new technologies"?

Deuce
08-22-2005, 12:51 AM
"Why do O3 racquets cost so much if they have huge holes in them?"

I asked the same question when Ritz came out with their 'Air Crisps' crackers, and charged more for them than for regular Ritz crackers.

nViATi
08-22-2005, 07:22 AM
i'd imagine it would use less resources to make a racquet with holes in it than not. 250 for one of those monsters is a huge ripoff if you ask me.
if you don't like them then just don't buy them

Guillote
08-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Yes it seems that lately there is an enourmous increase in the cost of some materials, including air and drill machines.

If you can hold yourself (I did not), wait a couple of years and then buy the O3 at $69 (I would buy 10 at that price)...

I've heard from very serious sources that air will be cheaper in 2007...

Tchocky
08-22-2005, 07:48 AM
"racquets are cheaper when they're sold at tourneys?" Tournaments have booths from various sponsers who offer special deals. Have you looked for a used one? I think no price is too high to pay for a racquet that significantly improves your game.

raftermania
08-22-2005, 08:07 AM
If something has holes in it, it should be cheaper? What kind of logic is that????

ipod-upod
08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
If something has holes in it, it should be cheaper? What kind of logic is that????

Less material used, I suppose.

gurj_v
08-22-2005, 09:15 AM
More of the money will go to the researchers who discovered and developed the technology than it would with a conventional racket. This is probably because prince realise that the technology actually makes a difference to how the racket performs.

gmorr001
08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
It is elementry economics, and business pricing. There are two ways to price: cost pricing and value pricing. Cost pricing is just a set price to cover the materials and expenses (this would be itiotic to price this way since you do not make that much return.) Value pricing is basically the value that the customer feels the product is worth, therefore the return is much more then what the cost to make the product would be. This is very watered down, but the basics are there. So it is not the cost of the resourses that make the 03 so expensive, it is the marketing aspect.

DX_Psycho
08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
well i know people sell them used for cheap all the time.

and of course i know that no one would sell at the price of the materials needed to make the racquets, but why does it cost so much?

most of the O3 racquets are pretty light, besides the O3 tour, they're all below 10.5.

now this is probably marketed towards older players who like using lighter sticks with larger sweetspots and larger head sizes, so why make it cost so much? most recreational players are fine picking up oversize hamemrs for 60 bucks thinking they got a deal because it is marked down form the 200 that it was last year.

eventually, i imagine the O3's will drop down around that price too, but which of those players would actually buy the racquets at the price of 200-250? i don't htink they really care about the difference between walmart racquets and real racquets so the price would only hurt them.

though i may be wrong. have any of you bought an O3 red/silver/blue? the specs don't look too enticing to me but perhaps they play well.

ps 6.0
08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Because, with less material that composes a racket... you have to utilize the material that you do use to be able to stand up to the stresses of stringing, groundstroking, serving, and all other shots that you're going to throw at it.

Speedy_tennis
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
expensive holes!

hduong
08-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Cost of manufacturing isn't the only consideration used to determine pricing. Your paying for Research and developement, or some would call, new marketing costs. Supply and demand also plays a factor in the price because some people want the newest stuff. The cost of making the racquets probably will decrease over time but not as much as the pricing of older racquets would leave you to believe.

Indiantwist
08-23-2005, 06:30 AM
The racquet manufacturing Business is no different from any other Business.
They are in to make a profit on Business. The margin of profit varies on several factors like Supply/demand, Value /Cost etc.

I think the retailers (eg TW ) have to sign an agreement with them to the xtent that during the season (or specified time period or etc) they would sell the racquet at the Mfg recommended price.

Once the timeperiod/season expires, They have better control of price and hence we see lot of sales and 40-70% discounts.

Also They have to clear out their inventory. What good it is to have
Wilson whatever 1989 in stock?. They are better off having Wilson Ncode 2005.
[ofcourse POG is an entirely different story. That can stay in stock forever]