PDA

View Full Version : Head LiquidMetal Prestige-Spin??

zorg
08-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Is it hard to hit some really heavy topspin shots with the LiquidMetal Prestige(Mid) racket? I saw Paul-Henri Mathieu do some today when he was practicing at the Pilot Pen. But then I thought, he doesn't use the LiquidMetal. So I have really 2 questions.
Is it hard to hit a lot of topspin with the LiquidMetal Prestige, and is there more spin on the PS 600(is that what he uses??)?

tennisgeek505
08-22-2005, 01:56 AM
the liquidmetal prestige has a head size of 93 square inches and its desgined to be used by people that hit topspin and that hit the middle of the racquets every time

djones
08-22-2005, 04:31 AM
Is it hard to hit some really heavy topspin shots with the LiquidMetal Prestige(Mid) racket? I saw Paul-Henri Mathieu do some today when he was practicing at the Pilot Pen. But then I thought, he doesn't use the LiquidMetal. So I have really 2 questions.
Is it hard to hit a lot of topspin with the LiquidMetal Prestige, and is there more spin on the PS 600(is that what he uses??)?

i don't think mathieu plays with the mid version, it looks more like a 98 square inch headsize.
Probobaly the Pro Tour 630/280 or Head I Prestige MP.

misterg
08-22-2005, 05:25 AM
this summer I played with a guy that played with this stick and produced tons of spin. I was really impressed. I think spin is more a question of good technique...

ChicagoJack
08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Zorg,

I have 3 LM MPs and one Mid in my bag at the moment. Personally, I have no trouble producing spin from either racquet. With the Mid however, I do tend to hit through the ball a bit more, and brush up the back a bit less, just to avoid clanking on part of the frame. I also notice that control slightly outside the sweetspot is a bit better with the mid. On a windy day playing singles on clay, the mid works great for me. Ive got a little extra time to line up the extra swingweight. I just stand two feet behind the baseline and do my Best Thomas Muster impersonation. For Doubles indoors, the MP is easier to swing with the faster game.

My personal opinion is that spin is mostly about technique, and partially about the racquet. I tend to notice the relationship between spin AND depth, and find little value in discussing those to things a separate concepts.

For example, I can get good spin from either a C-10 or a T10VE mid. But find it easier to hit a deep AND spinny ball with the C-10, where as with the T10VE mid the really spinny ball is going to land short for me, so I've got to hit more flat, or higher over the net to get depth. So does the T10VE mid have less spin? Does the Prestige have good spin? Well depends on how you look at it in relationship to other factors. I think the key to the kingdom is finding the racquet at the right combo of spin and depth for your body type and swing style.

Regards, Jack
AKA FeloniousMonk

AndrewD
08-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Of course the LM Prestige mid, or any other midsize frame with a tighter string pattern, isn't the most well-appointed for generating a lot of topspin. However, you can still produce heavy top if your technique is there and if you have the swing speed. I found the LM Prestige mid to produce good topspin but not a good as previous Prestige racquets or the more recent i-Prestige. That just comes down to me not having the fastest swing speed and the LM Prestige mid having a very high swing weight.

Regardless, with all of the racquets you have at your disposal these days, if you go with the Prestige mid (any version) it isn't because you want to produce heavy topspin. It's a much better choice for someone who hits through the ball and wants more control than sheer power (although the LM has quite a bit of that).

bee
08-23-2005, 01:39 AM
It's very head light and handle heavy, which I like. If you have good upper body strength you can hit with considerable spin and pace. I like the LM Prestige Mid more than the earlier Prestige racquets. It's a nice blend of power and control. But it is pretty heavy.

BLAKE FAN
08-23-2005, 07:12 AM
I agree with the rest of these guys the prestige can get good spin but it mostly depends on whether or not you have good form. I used to use a yonex rdx 500 mp before i switched to my liquidmetal prestige mp and i found that it was way too spinny and i produce my own spin so it didn't work out so well. Then i switched to the prestige and i can still get some really heavy spin when i want to but i can also hit the ball with alot less spin and drive through it alot better than i could with the yonex. The mid is also amazing i loved this racquet more than the mp on forehand. You can hit a very heavy ball with it the racquet just plows through the ball and it gets good spin also. You can get good spin with both models but they just arn't really spinny racquets like the yonex

jackson vile
08-23-2005, 10:22 AM
It all depends on you, how do you go about producing spin? The LMP flexes a lot so you have to really brush up a lot, with say a APD ect you have to use a more western grip as the fram is stiffer.

Fact of the matter is that the LMP will do everything and anything that you could ever want any racquet to do, however for certain things you will have to work very hard for it.

For instance in order to get a hight jumper 5' or so I have to really rip it up, this racquet is better for a heavy ball and flat shots.

Demo this racquet and the Babolat APControl and Wilson Ncode nsix-one 95.

smittysan89
08-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I really want to demo this racquet now. I have a longer backswing powerful more loopy swing with a more open stance with a good amount of topspin. I can generate power on my own so I really think the mid would be great for me!

jackson vile
09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Did you try the mid?

smittysan89
09-05-2005, 10:22 AM
well it is in the mail right now acctually should be here next week from TW

ohcaptain
09-05-2005, 12:21 PM
well, i didn't try the LM Prestige, but i did the Flexpoint Radical and ncode six-one95.

try this last one!

jackson vile
09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
well, i didn't try the LM Prestige, but i did the Flexpoint Radical and ncode six-one95.

try this last one!

How did those work out for you?

Some days I feel like throwing my LMP away other days I am just amazing with it. I don't know what to do!

william
09-08-2005, 11:43 PM
This is strange bit when i had my babolat pure drive team i couldnt generate a lot of topspin with it. I switched to lmp mid and with a bit more effort because of the weight i can seem to generate plenty of spin

BLiND
09-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Having used the LM Prestige Mid & MP extensively, I can tell you first that the head sizes are 89.5" & 95" respecively.

That over with, the spin you can generate is just as high as any other racquet... the denser pattern is excellent at creating high spin (once you have the right tecnique & strings)... sometimes it seems you can generate more spin than with an open pattern frame. However the fundamantal difference between opena and dense pattern frames is that for a slower swing-speed, the open pattern will give you more spin... for faster swing speeds the denser *can* give you more spin.

Thats my opinion, and I've played extensively with 18x20 & 16x18 ~90" racquets.

smittysan89
09-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I tried the Prestige mid yesterday. You have to have a high swing speed with this racquet, or else it just doesnt work. But if you do and can get the wieght around, you can get some seriously heavy shots. I think I might want something a little lighter though for serve return and all court game. Gonna try it some more.

james_R
09-09-2005, 03:18 PM
You can generate good spin with the LM Prestige MID. However, I agree that the MP is a lighter frame, not too light, but just that bit more manouverable. But the only word of caution is that I found it to not have quite as nice a balance as the MID. But that's just me, if I had considered more carefully at the time, i'd probably have gotten the MP and worked with it, since it'd be a little more efortless to hit with.