PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Black Max

Tennisaurus
08-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi!

Does anyone have the specs for this vintage racket? (Or, know where I can find them?).

Thanks!

dirtballer
08-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Sorry, don't have the specs but I did used to have two Black Max's and two Black Max Pro's. They were nice rackets for the early Eighties.

BigboyDan
08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
From Tennis Warehouse:

Dunlop Muscle Weave 200g Racquet Review

The Max 200g may be Dunlop's most recognized racquet among over-30 tennis players. It's certainly their most "heritaged" graphite racquet. Dunlop can thank two players for that recognition - John McEnroe and Steffi Graf. Although these players had very different playing styles, they both dominated the game using the Max 200g. McEnroe, known for his net playing prowess, utilized short, compact strokes from the baseline. He was able to generate pace by stringing his racquets at very low tensions. His strength, however, wasn't overwhelming power, but pinpoint placement of shots that would allow him to come in and finish the point off at net. Steffi Graf, on the other hand, relied on a punishing baseline game, only coming to net when absolutely necessary or to shake hands at the end of a match. Despite their playing styles being so different, McEnroe and Graf dominated their respective tours using the Max 200g. While McEnroe contributed to the Max 200g's success, it wasn't his debut racquet like it was for Steffi. Who (in a certain age category...) doesn't remember when Fraulein Forehand burst onto the tennis scene, dashing around the red clay of Roland Garros and green lawns of Wimbledon on those spindly, colt-like legs, hammering her trademark loop forehand and pasting the lines? Those of us who have actually played with the Max 200g have an even greater admiration for her ability to generate so much power and precision with this racquet.

The Original 200g Specs: Weight: 12.5 ounces/355.4g, Balance: 8 points (1 inch) Head-light, Flex (RDC): 40, Swingweight: 337

----------------

The Dunlop Max 200g was the first graphite racquet to be constructed using injection molding. Typical racquet construction is done using compression molding, whereby sheets of graphite/epoxy are hand formed, placed into a mold and compressed at high temperatures. Injection molding, as performed by Dunlop for the Max 200g, combined two materials - carbon fiber (graphite) chips and nylon. Dunlop's proprietary name for this blend of materials was Grafil. During the injection molding process, the small graphite chips and nylon (Grafil) were combined, heated and injected into a mold to form the frame. The result was a racquet that was stiffer dynamically than statically. Rick Perry, Dunlop's Director of Research & Development offers, "the measure of resistance on the Max 200g is based on the rate pressure is applied. When pressure is applied at a slow rate, such as on a Babolat RA or RDC machine, the frame will seem very flexible. During fast swings, though, the frame deflects less and thus, returns more energy to the ball."

The Max 200g was a true player's racquet, even before this category was created. Although midplus and oversize racquets were available at the time, the Max 200g remained at 85 square inches. It was also one of the first "widebody" racquets, as a result of the injection molding process, measuring 22mm. However, this extra beam width didn't contribute much to frame stiffness, as evidenced by the RDC measurement.

Craig Sheppard
08-22-2005, 06:35 PM
BigBoy Dan, thanks but he's referring to the Dunlop Black Max not the Dunlop Max 200G.

Black Max:
http://www.woodtennis.com/McEnroe/blackmax2.jpg

Max 200G:
http://www.woodtennis.com/McEnroe/max200g.jpg

There was a post on here a while ago that said the Black Max was Dunlop's answer to the Wilson Pro Staff. I've hit w/ a Black Max and a Max 200g. It's certainly stiffer than the Max 200g, but more flexible than almost anything on the market today. It had about an 82 sq in head and 16x20 pattern. Sorry no weight or balance on it, but I'm sure it was head light.

Kirko
08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
don't know the specs. , but one of the best players 7.0 used it when I lived in Reno, NV I moved to Mexico City an again very popular with very good players. a very under rated racket .

Deuce
08-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Amazing how a photo can instantly bring a person back 20 years. I can even SMELL that Black Max...

I played with the Blue Max myself - but remember seeing plenty of Black Maxes around. As Craig said, they were in the same category as the Wilson Pro Staff (now 6.0). Also in that category were the Kennex Black Ace, Donnay CGX 25, and the Head Graphite Edge.

Jonnyf
08-23-2005, 02:40 AM
i actually saew a man playing with the grey version yesterday. I have hit for 10 minutes with it.

Virus
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Drudging up old posts. I still have both the Black Max and 200G. My first good racquet was the Black Max. I loved it. I never liked my 200G.

Johnny P
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
the first real racquet I bought was a black max , it was great! I had two of them. I never really liked the 200G compared to the bLACK mAX ETHIER

drakulie
09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm shocked. seeing pictures of the good old Black Max definitley brings back memories. I loved McEnore (favorite player), and I had to have the Black Max. If I rememebr correctly it was the first graphite I used (early 80's). I know I played a while with a 200 G but went back to the Black Max, before switching to the PS 85.

I think I am going to pull mine out of the garage and see if I could string it up and have a hit. it will probably crack all to hell when I string it up though.

thejerk
09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
anybody got some grommets for one?

coolblue123
09-21-2006, 05:03 AM
This was like the racquet my dad used! Brings back fond memories. I was wondering how much one of these cost? The racquet was considered tougher than Superman. Unfortunately I was the kryptonite, doing a johhny mac, I hit it against the tennis post and there was a hairline crack on the crown. Am thinking about getting one for my dad, he'll get a kick out of it. He plays with a Prince right now. He still kicks my butt at mid 50's.

joe sch
09-21-2006, 07:09 AM
The Dunlop Black Max was the poor mans wilson prostaff 60 since it played much more like that racket than the max 200g. A flexible players racket, very good deal for the price and can still be found very cheap.

drakulie
09-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Joe sch, which of the 2 (Black Max) or PS85 came out first? I remember getting the Black Max 83-84?, and switching to the Pro Staff around 86-87? My years are most likely a little off.

Just wondering which of the two was released first. Thanks.

joe sch
09-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Joe sch, which of the 2 (Black Max) or PS85 came out first? I remember getting the Black Max 83-84?, and switching to the Pro Staff around 86-87? My years are most likely a little off.

Just wondering which of the two was released first. Thanks.
ps60 was released in 1984 and Black Max in 1978, so maybe Wilson copied Dunlop but surely improved upon the basic mold + pws. Wilsons first grahite was the ultra pws original released in 1979.

drakulie
09-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks! I thought I was losing my mind. Like I said, I remember getting one in early 80's. Lots of people were playing with this one and the 200G, also the Prince Classic? aluminum with the green plastic in the throat.

So based on what you said I was most likely already using the Black Max as early as 81-82. I remember hitting with the PS 85 at the beginning of my senior year in High school and instantly switched, which would have been 86, and I graduated 87.

Thanks for helping keep my sanity, this was really bothering me.