PDA

View Full Version : I have always received help but now I am not getting any

ksm
08-22-2005, 07:15 AM
I have always received valuable information regarding racquets on this forum but am not getting any response. Please help.

I am trying to customize my Dunlop 300G & went through the 'racquet customizing' on TW. I need some help from you guys.

I want to start on a very low scale first. If I add 3 grams of lead tape at 3 & 9 O'clock on my 300G, how much should I add in the handle to keep the original balance which is 4 points head light?? After adding the suggested weight in the handle, what effect will it have on the overall playability of the racquet (power, stability & maneuverability) ??

If I only add weight to the handle of my 300G to make it more head light, what effect will it have on the overall playability of the stick (power, stability & maneuverability) ??

I shall be grateful to all the who can help on this.

ksm

Guillote
08-22-2005, 07:48 AM
To measure the balance there is a simple machine at tw it think it was about $25

Or you can do what I did: I put the racquet over a pencil (exagonal) and when it was balanced, added the lead tape over the raquet without sticking, only put over the frame.

Playing with that you can keep the balance... but don't mind about that, just add the lead that keeps you confortable, and doesnt make your arm get tired (and hurt)...

You could like the racquet head light or heavy, you will never know until you try

And remember, play at least a week before changing again the configuration

Hope it helps

Guillote
08-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Man how many times did you ask for the same?

kreative
08-22-2005, 02:57 PM
i would add the same total weight into the handle that you added to 3/9. don't be so caught up in the specs, but just how it feels to you. experiment with it. if it feels head heavy, add some more to the handle. if it feels too headlight, maybe take some out of the handle. the racquet will probably be less manueverable, but more stable and powerful.

if you added weight to the handle only, it may make the racquet feel more manueverable and "whippy", but you might not have the power and stability w/ the lack of mass in the upper hoop.

the real question that needs to be answered is why you think you need to customize your racquet, and why you think you need to add lead tape. what are you hoping to find? what is it that you don't like about the racquet at this time? what do you like about it?

LAW2
08-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Ok I'll give ksm the benefit of the doubt and assume he just wants to add the lead in such a way that it is neat and tidy. I recommend you try what Guillote suggested with the pencil. I had to use a fat marker taped to the counter to keep it from rolling because a pencil wasn’t tall enough, but whatever. The thing is all of your posts are the same and they only ask about the physics behind adding tape, which has been covered a lot. What you need to do is express a goal or a desire. Why do you think you need to add lead tape? What is deficient in your game or current racquet? What do you hope to get out of adding weight? My personal experience was I broke a string and couldn’t afford to string it right away. I played w/my wife’s racquet that was way too light and slow at net. It started out even balanced and after 8 inches of tape in the head (4” at 3 and 9 each) and 16 inches under the grip it was perfect. Sorry don’t remember how much weight I added only the total length. You can look up the conversion for length to weight.

LAW2
08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Dang kreative and I were almost on the same page at the same time. Also please don't keep asking the same question over and over. People will begin to think that either you don't value their response or you're just out to waste everyone's time.

Keifers
08-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm disappointed that the response I gave to your same enquiry yesterday (same enquiry in a different thread) has been ignored. Not sure why you did that, but the people who have responded here are asking the same question: what is it you're hoping to achieve by adding weight to your 300G?

ksm
08-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks to all for posting. I am sorry for not posting earlier as I was stuck up somewhere.

I asked the same question again as I did not get a good response. As you all are aware that we don't have racquet demo system out here and nobody is around to guide me on racquets.

Now the main question which many of you have put - What am I trying to achieve by adding weight to the 300G. Also what I like & don't like about this racquet?? As mentioned in my original message, I am trying to make the 300G a little more stable & powerful without sacrificing the maneuverability. I also did a study on racquet customization on TW and found it to be pretty useful. So I added about 3 grams at 3 & 9 O'clock and thought of adding some weight in the handle to retain the headlightedness of the racquet. I thought of adding weight only to the handle but as mentioned by you guys, it will make the racquet less powerful & un-stable. So I am working on making it perfect for me that is to say little more powerful & stable without sacrificing the maneuverability.

Now as to what I like about the 300G - Nice feel, topspin and great maneuverability.

Thought of going in for a M-Fil 300 or Dunlop Maxply McEnroe. Any suggestions (BTW, I don't like very flexible racquets with dampened effect on hitting.

Thanks once again. You all are a great help.

ksm

physioam
08-23-2005, 12:21 AM
why don't you type 'lead tape howto' in the search this forum section? you will get all what you need.

Volkl Cat 8 V-Engine
Klip Excellerator@57 lbs

Tennis forever
Work whenever