PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 10 Mid V-Engine

smittysan89
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
How does this racquet compare to the APD, or the yonex rdx 500, or the n61 95?

I have been to 3 places around me and none have this racquet to demo for some reason.(none also have the yonex rdx 500 mid either)

I have read a little about it but the v-engine edition seems fairly untalked about. Hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

I am a power aggresive baseline player, who uses a pretty good amount of topspin, so im not a flat hitter at all really.

LafayetteHitter
08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Well I have hit with this racquet quite a bit, it doesn't sound like it would be the racquet you are looking for if you hit with heavy topspin as this racquet just doesn't suit this type of player. I think it is better suited for someone with long flat strokes. The low swingweight is a nice feature but also tends to make the racquet vulnerable at holding up against heavy serves. I really enjoyed volleying with it.

jayserinos99
08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
i'm pretty sure you can do a search for the t10ve mid, but i'll chime in on my experiences with the t10ve mid versus the rdx500 mid and the n61 95. the rdx500 mid and the t10ve mid are similar, especially at the net as both are manuverable and touch friendly. in the end i ended up switching to the t10ve mid because of the yonex feel (somewhat metallic; too harsh for my taste) and that my arm started to hurt even using a soft multifilament string.

the n61 95 has more spin and power from the baseline than the t10ve mid (bigger headsize coupled with a more open string pattern). one guy i was hitting against noted how much more heavier i was hitting with it as compared to the t10ve mid.

we play a similar game and if you plan on sticking with it the n61 95 seems like a good racquet for you as the n61 has a nice composition for spin and power. with the t10ve mid, you have to generate a lot of the pop yourself. maybe you should try the t10ve midplus?

jayserinos99
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Well I have hit with this racquet quite a bit, it doesn't sound like it would be the racquet you are looking for if you hit with heavy topspin as this racquet just doesn't suit this type of player. I think it is better suited for someone with long flat strokes. The low swingweight is a nice feature but also tends to make the racquet vulnerable at holding up against heavy serves. I really enjoyed volleying with it.

I agree here; the t10ve mid is a great racquet to hit volleys with. i think that's one reason why i contemplate going back to it for doubles; it has such a nice feel at the net.

one of my gripes with the t10ve mid is a slight lack of spin on the serves; i feel i have to work that much harder to hit a good kick or slice serve.

Colpo
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Nice frame, a bit tinny feel-wise. Thin beam and HL balance whip through air. Despite tight, tight stringbed, I'd still advocate frame for the topspinner just based on the racquet head speed one would generate (similar to a Prestige mid). The Yonex has a more flexible shaft for a friendlier feel and better damping, but the VE10M is a nice frame.

The V-Engines haven't made much buzz because the buying public doesn't view longer center mains as real technology, just a slight change in frame design. They look nice and edgy, though.

LafayetteHitter
08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I'll add this as well for what it's worth. I think the V-engine Mid is one of the best looking frames out. The V-engine is definately sharp looking and I think the longer mains really make a difference.

ChicagoJack
08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I had 4 demo sessions with the T10VE mid, while not comfortable comparing it to the others you've mentioned, I am comfortable giving you my impression of it singularily.

This frame inspired great confidence during warm ups, and easy neutral cross court exchanges, when neither player has the advantage, and both are hitting deep just waiting for a short ball to do something with. I realized that there was very little danger of me hitting long. It's very low powered. When you get that feeling... it can be a real transformational moment indeed! I found myself swinging freely but creating a trajectory with a good margin of safety. Fun stuff. The problem came when I needed to ratchet up the juice a notch. It's real hard to do this if you are already generating power at nearly maximum capacity.

Mojo has pointed out that it's a difficult frame to return with on clay, and I heartily agree. I demoed it along with the 3 other Volkl Players frames, and even though it was the most satisfiying to hit with, it was the first to be eliminated as a real choice.

I think this frame would be perfect for two types of players, A: A tall, strong college age player who hits a little wild and long under pressure. Or B: somebody who hits a very square, efficient stroke on baseline rallies and hits flat to a corner on a short ball.

Not designed for the masses, but for the few who can use it, it is probably dearly loved. I think Tom4ny plays with one, I'm sure he'll find the thread soon.

Take care - Jack

smittysan89
08-23-2005, 07:54 AM
"A: A tall, strong college age player who hits a little wild and long under pressure." I am 6'4 210lbs so part of that is right at least, I am not in college though hoping to maybe play college ball though. I can definately generate power on my own but that doesnt mean that i still dont want a racquet that can give me even more power to whizz winners by people. I was thinking about the Midplus not the mid acctually. I sort of have a powerful loopy shot, sort of like a roddick/nadal/safin forehand, and a safin backhand style stroke. I am an aggresive player so I stay baseline or might rush the net since I am a big guy.

ChicagoJack
08-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Smitty,

1. Just to be clear, I wasn't inferring anything about your body type or swing style personally, I just think that this frame was designed to appeal to a certain select type of player, in terms of ability and body type.

2. While there is a some family resemblance beetween the Mid and the MP version, I'd say there's quite a noticeable dif in power between the two.

3. The MP version of the Tour 10VE is NoBadMojos personal frame, he's your guy if you need any further insight on Volkls in general and this one specifically. You could do an advanced search using his handle and find many useful posts on this particular area of inquiry.

Take care,
Jack

VolklVenom
08-24-2005, 01:45 PM
the racquet is great if control is what you are after. you can rally with confidence all day long.
However, i find it difficult to hit out-right winners with it, especially from the back of the court.
This is the only complaint, but these days , that is a major part of strategically conquering your opponent.
I compare this with a Wilson Hammer i have which allows me to hit winners.
The 10 Mid V is still my prefered racquet. I believe i will conquer the racquet even if i need to lose a few games in the process.

smittysan89
08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
hmm see i produce alot of power on my own, so it may suit me, but what about its spin characteristics?

VolklVenom
08-24-2005, 08:30 PM
you can produce adequate spin with it.
Technique comes into the equation here, but i find it easier to generate more topspin (slightly) with the Wilson Hammer (16x19) pattern.

hoosierbr
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I just demoed the Tour 10 V-Engine Mid tonight.

I'm 5'10, 150 pounds and manage to generate enough power on my strokes. I've been trying to decide between this frame and the Yonex RDX 500 Mid.

I can get great pop out of the Yonex, more than I expected quite frankly, but with the same full stroke, the ball travels half as deep with the Volkl. I'm guessing the 18X20 string pattern is the main reason. Since I play with natural gut anyway, I'm wondering if power will improve enough with my normal string in the Volkl. (The demo had a multi.)