PDA

View Full Version : Desperately in need of advice on new racquet.

Surecatch
08-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone....new here.

I need some serious advice on tennis racquets and I'm about fried on all the conflicting information you get on the web, not to mention the difficulty in finding info at all on the net for some of the racquets I'm considering. I'm basically considering three racquets, maybe four. Unfortunately, price is a consideration...I'm probably looking to spend less than many here would think of....probably not much more than $100 or so on the highest end. The racquets are:

Wilson ProStaff Blitz 100
Lenght=27"
W=9.9 oz.
Tension=53-63 lbs.
Head Size=100"
Balance=Even
$99 plus strings

Dunlop Vision 102
Length=27.5"
Weight: 9.4 oz. strung
Head Size=102"
Balance=?
Power/Control: 38 on 1-100 scale (1=most control vs. power)
note: I know where I can get this as a clearance item for $39.99 and it's seems to be marked down from $79.99 retail and $149.99 suggested. Comes with full bag and damper. This seems like a whale of a deal.

Dunlop Hot Melt 400G
Length=27.5"
Weight=10.5
Head Size=100"
Power/Control: 48 on 1-100 scale (1=most control vs. power)
note: I can also get this at the same place for 39.99, is marked down form 99.99 and has a 199.99 suggested. Bag and damper.

Head Intelligence i.s2
Length: 27"
Weight: 9.2 oz
Head size: 98"
$59.99 plus strings

Wilson PS Trance 95
Length: 27"
Weight: 9.9 strung
Head: 95"
Balance: Even
$59.99 plus strings

Ok, I listed five. If you were going by NTRS, I suppose I might rank around a 3.0-3.5. I have a developing game after not really playing for many years. I am a relatively strong 39 years old, I can generate plenty of power with the racquet and tend to think I might benefit from a more control oriented racquet. I really don't want anything bigger than 102" (like on that dunlop Vision 102). I'd say I'm a "decent" recreational player with some solid potential if I stick with the game, which I intend to do. I know I've laid out a lot of information but any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on other racquets is welcome and invited as well. Thanks again.

Surecatch.

smittysan89
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
what about PS 6.0 95? Or a prestige classic...

acctyually i would consider getting a used racquet...you can get a 180$ racquet for around 80$ sometimes

Surecatch
08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
what about PS 6.0 95? Or a prestige classic...

acctyually i would consider getting a used racquet...you can get a 180$ racquet for around 80$ sometimes

I might look into a PS 6.0 '95. I'll be honest....my Wilson Aggressor 95 that is 15 years old is a damn fine racquet and I would like to stay between 95-100 for a headsize. I'm wary of used racquets because you never know about how they may have been mistreated and could be weakened without your being able to see. Thanks for the idea though...do you think my game as I described it would benefit from the PS 6.0 95?

smittysan89
08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
yes i think so but i think you can trust the people here at the TW forums, and most of them have feedback as well. They should post pics and tell you how long they have had the racquet and cosmetic flaws should be shown in the pics. I think you should try that out, maybe demo some racquets then since you said you are semi content with your racquet you have now then you can wait and see if something pops up on the FS forums or even post in the wanted section. Good luck.

yodudedudeyo
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Well one thing i can say is that the two dunlops are not 27.5" long, but only 27. I've considered both of these myself, seeing how th eyre both only 50$ at my local sporting goods store. But i still have no idea what one to get either.

Surecatch
08-23-2005, 03:49 AM
yes i think so but i think you can trust the people here at the TW forums, and most of them have feedback as well. They should post pics and tell you how long they have had the racquet and cosmetic flaws should be shown in the pics. I think you should try that out, maybe demo some racquets then since you said you are semi content with your racquet you have now then you can wait and see if something pops up on the FS forums or even post in the wanted section. Good luck.

Thanks and that is good advice. I was checking out those Dunlop M-fils in a tennis magazine and they look like very cool racquets although probably out of my price range new. I like that the line offers some heavier frames...I'm really wary of a racquet that is too light. I'd probably get the 200-plus (11.3 oz./97" Head) if I could have any of them.

bluegrasser
08-23-2005, 05:05 AM
Get the old model 300G at TW for $69..

Surecatch
08-23-2005, 05:13 AM
Get the old model 300G at TW for $69..

It's on my list to check out. Can you tell me something about it from your experience...just briefly? And thanks for the suggestion....'preciate it. I found it but it says 79.99. You say "the old model"...different? I'll look.

AndrewD
08-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Surecatch,

If you're looking in the sub $100 range and want a racquet, basically, under 100sq Id be having a look at the Dunlop 200G (95sq), Prince TT Warrior (97sq) and Wilson ProStaff Tour 95 (95sq). The Dunlop is definately a control oriented racquet and ranges in price, on the TW site, from 70-80 dollars. Can be an acquired taste (although I think it is a fantastic racquet and overlooked by many as it has an 18x20 string pattern that isn't in vogue at the moment) but well worth a demo. Ignore the comments regarding its low spin potential and see how you like it. Although it doesnt generate the same topspin as other frames it produces a very, very penetrating shot.
The TT Warrior mp is an excellent all-around frame that makes it very easy to generate slice and topspin. Might have a touch more power than you want but, again, well worth a demo. Suits most styles of play.
The PS Tour 95 is another that gets a bad rap but might be an easy frame for you to play after using the Wilson Aggressor. The Tour 95 will be lighter and easier to swing (as will all the frames mentioned) but I would consider that beneficial - speaking as someone into the 30s now.

Personally, Id say all of the above frames will be far better than the ones you listed. That isn't because their my personal favourites and choices but because they are all top of the line frames that are now discontinued as well as being good racquets for a wide range of skill levels (the 200G might be considered the most 'demanding' of the three but I still believe it is worth a try).

Oh, one other one you might like to have a look at is the Head i-Radical mp. A lighter 98sq frame (you'd probably want to add some weight to it) that, again, suits a wide range of skill levels and playing styles, is a discontinued 'top of the line' frame (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd tier racquets) and can be had for a very good price. TW has it listed at 80 but I know you can find it listed for around the 65 dollar mark.

Surecatch
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Surecatch,

If you're looking in the sub $100 range and want a racquet, basically, under 100sq Id be having a look at the Dunlop 200G (95sq), Prince TT Warrior (97sq) and Wilson ProStaff Tour 95 (95sq). The Dunlop is definately a control oriented racquet and ranges in price, on the TW site, from 70-80 dollars. Can be an acquired taste (although I think it is a fantastic racquet and overlooked by many as it has an 18x20 string pattern that isn't in vogue at the moment) but well worth a demo. Ignore the comments regarding its low spin potential and see how you like it. Although it doesnt generate the same topspin as other frames it produces a very, very penetrating shot.
The TT Warrior mp is an excellent all-around frame that makes it very easy to generate slice and topspin. Might have a touch more power than you want but, again, well worth a demo. Suits most styles of play.
The PS Tour 95 is another that gets a bad rap but might be an easy frame for you to play after using the Wilson Aggressor. The Tour 95 will be lighter and easier to swing (as will all the frames mentioned) but I would consider that beneficial - speaking as someone into the 30s now.

Personally, Id say all of the above frames will be far better than the ones you listed. That isn't because their my personal favourites and choices but because they are all top of the line frames that are now discontinued as well as being good racquets for a wide range of skill levels (the 200G might be considered the most 'demanding' of the three but I still believe it is worth a try).

Oh, one other one you might like to have a look at is the Head i-Radical mp. A lighter 98sq frame (you'd probably want to add some weight to it) that, again, suits a wide range of skill levels and playing styles, is a discontinued 'top of the line' frame (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd tier racquets) and can be had for a very good price. TW has it listed at 80 but I know you can find it listed for around the 65 dollar mark.

Fantastic advice, thank you so much. I'm looking at the 200G and 300G pretty closely and I'll check out those others. I'd really like to not go much below 11 oz., I'm really wary of a super light racquet. I don't know how much my Wilson Aggressor weighs but I think it's significantly more than most of these light racquets now, probably at least 11 oz., and I like the feel of it. I'll add weight if I have to. I've written down those four and I'll go check them out now. Thanks again.

Oh, and I've pretty much ruled out all of those racquets that I listed in the first post.....just hunches. From what you said, it sounds like my hunch is right on.

What about the Yonex RDS-500 used.

bluegrasser
08-23-2005, 06:41 AM
The orange 300G is a little more head light that the new 300 mfil, it a racket that you can really swing through, and not too heavy + you can always add lead to it. Just read the review and players responses in TW.

Bora
08-23-2005, 07:01 AM
OK, the guy says he is a 3.0-3.5 and all of you are recommending big time player's sticks. He also mentions he is a recreational player. Why frustrate him with something like a 200G or Tour 95?

I would say either the 300G or 400G are good bargains and would do fine for your level. Having played with the 300G when it first came out, I would say go with the 400G, at that price its a steal. Also, I would recommend you stay away from racquets below 10 ounces and heavier than 11.5.

Surecatch
08-23-2005, 07:02 AM
The orange 300G is a little more head light that the new 300 mfil, it a racket that you can really swing through, and not too heavy + you can always add lead to it. Just read the review and players responses in TW.

This one?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=D300G

The only reason I ask is because you said the "old one" at 69.99 and I just wanted to make sure there wasn't two of them. I can only find this one. Thanks again, I'm considering it. I'd love one of those M-fil 200-plus but it's out of my wallet's range. :-?

Surecatch
08-23-2005, 07:09 AM
OK, the guy says he is a 3.0-3.5 and all of you are recommending big time player's sticks. He also mentions he is a recreational player. Why frustrate him with something like a 200G or Tour 95?

I would say either the 300G or 400G are good bargains and would do fine for your level. Having played with the 300G when it first came out, I would say go with the 400G, at that price its a steal. Also, I would recommend you stay away from racquets below 10 ounces and heavier than 11.5.

I really don't know what my ranking would fall into, I'd never even heard of the NTRS until a week ago but it sounds like you have a good sense. I just followed a description I found and seemed to fit somewhere in there. I'm recreational and can hit the ball both ways pretty good. I've got enough arm strength and am athletic enough to get my own power so I'm not as afraid of a heavy stick as a light one. Like I said, my 15-year old aggressor has to be at least 11 oz. But your advice is appreciated and I will take it to heart. I was leaning towards the 300G over the 200G anyway, figuring I could add a couple of grams of lead. The Tour 95 is out for me....just a hunch.

AndrewD
08-24-2005, 03:07 AM
Quite simply because neither the Tour95 or the 200G are out of the reach of a standard, physically strong male player, especially one who describes himself as a "decent recreational player with some solid potential". A recreational player doesn't have to be a poor player. It's basically just someone who doesn't play competition. Regardless, they're both well worth a try and much more value to a player who wants to improve than an ultra powerful frame. They're only of real value if you a) cant generate any power of your own or b) can control the power while still adding your own. Most players in the 3.5 range cant do that and lose more than they win through errors. A reasonable head size (98-98sq), adequate power and good weight are all they need.

I would also say that suggesting a weight of no more than 11.5 ounces is wrong. The OP should be looking at the heaviest weight he can swing over the course of a match. If he is physically strong and has been using a 15 year old racquet then my assumption is he's used to something around, or over, 12 ounces. The more sensible option is to look at at well weighted frame (no less than 11.5 ounces) that has a lower swingweight. That is why I suggested the 200G as it fits on both counts.

Surecatch,

Id have a look at the i-Radical mp in comparison to the 300G. You'll notice that their specs (including price) are almost identical but they do offer slightly different playability. I felt the i-Rad mp produced a more solid shot, even in stock form, whereas others are fond of the 300G. Id say give them both a try and see what you think.